poyet

Status
Not open for further replies.

safcpauluk

Winger
Is starting to come to grips the level of player needed to get a Top 10 finnish in the Premier league, he has made his mistakes which he going to make as he has no managerial experience at this level. How long does it take to build a team of the level we expect when we can only spend 10-15 million every transfer window, if that? 8 or 9 players will take about 4 years. No wonder we have players we cant move on when we bought 14 average players in in one transfer window. I think Gus will get it right but its going to take a few seasons.(problem is if we go down the process starts again)

I think this is a very fair way of putting it. He's inexperienced and can be forgiven for making some mistakes along the way, and what manager hasn't made some mistakes in their first stint managing a top level club? What grated me about Bruce and MON was their conservatism and old-fashioned ideas about things. They had no real long-term plan for the club, they rarely filled me with optimism for the future. I don't see why Poyet can be criticised for 'learning on the job'. Of course he's learning on the job, I'd be far more worried if he wasn't learning! This is why I see him as a more progressive manager than Bruce or MON, for instance. It felt like they'd already made up their minds about things and were only going to lead us to stagnation. I have no problems giving Poyet time, he's got a vision and some fresh ideas about where this club can go. There's an arrogance about him at times, but all of the top managers are arrogant and stubborn. Look no further than Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger.

Is starting to come to grips the level of player needed to get a Top 10 finnish in the Premier league, he has made his mistakes which he going to make as he has no managerial experience at this level. How long does it take to build a team of the level we expect when we can only spend 10-15 million every transfer window, if that? 8 or 9 players will take about 4 years. No wonder we have players we cant move on when we bought 14 average players in in one transfer window. I think Gus will get it right but its going to take a few seasons.(problem is if we go down the process starts again)
Take few seasons?, no thank you.

If you look at our current strongest x11 and the bench we could put out when everyone is fit (personal opinion of course)

-------Pantillimon--------
Jones O'Shea Brown PvA
-Larsson Catts* Johnson-
--------Giaccherini--------
------Defoe Fletcher------

Subs: Mannone, Vergini, Reveillere, Gomez, Rodwell, Alvarez, Wickham.

*Catts will sit deeper making it more of a diamond and Johnson/Giacc can interlink and swap positions now and again.

There is an argument that we only need 1 or 2 quality players every window to keep on improving. I personally think that is a very decent 8th-14th position team and not our current relegation candidate team and gives us a solid basis to improve year on year.

I think this is a very fair way of putting it. He's inexperienced and can be forgiven for making some mistakes along the way, and what manager hasn't made some mistakes in their first stint managing a top level club? What grated me about Bruce and MON was their conservatism and old-fashioned ideas about things. They had no real long-term plan for the club, they rarely filled me with optimism for the future. I don't see why Poyet can be criticised for 'learning on the job'. Of course he's learning on the job, I'd be far more worried if he wasn't learning! This is why I see him as a more progressive manager than Bruce or MON, for instance. It felt like they'd already made up their minds about things and were only going to lead us to stagnation. I have no problems giving Poyet time, he's got a vision and some fresh ideas about where this club can go. There's an arrogance about him at times, but all of the top managers are arrogant and stubborn. Look no further than Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger.

Spot on, he has a modern philosophy and eventually will start to come through in our play. But its a long long way to go yet.

I like this new non attack philosophy, makes me look forward to games on a weekend.

I know its shite. The players arnt comfortable with the system yet. Thats why Gus asks for patience, i believe it will come come good but its going to take time or an exceptional playmaker in the middle of park.

His thinking regarding modern day football tatics etc are already out of date

Yeah, because setting up to be defensively solid is such an out of date thing in a time where Pulis is winning manager of the season and José 'I prefer to win 1-0' Mourinho is arguably the greatest manager of our time.

I know its shite. The players arnt comfortable with the system yet. Thats why Gus asks for patience, i believe it will come come good but its going to take time or an exceptional playmaker in the middle of park.

He tried this system last season. It was shite then as well.

Why dosent he, in his role as head coach, coach the players in a style that works?

Got no problem with him trying different systems but I wish he'd stop telling everyone what we're doing. Better if the oppo don't know what to expect imo.

In these endless threads on Gus and his system I never understand why there isn't any discussion of how other managers will simply suss it out and plan accordingly to neutralize it. At least the better ones will. They already do. It is the quality of the players on the field that need to be better than those of other teams if we want to finish higher up the league. Systems are secondary to this obvious fact. Peter Reid's team had better players than those we have now. And so we finished in the top half.

Why dosent he, in his role as head coach, coach the players in a style that works?

What style works perfectly with this current crop of players? There are many weak areas, he has to come up with systems that can help us to be competitive and solid. I think Poyet is doing the right thing by forcing systems on them rather than the other way round. Players need to be adaptable. They need to learn, and the ones best at learning are the ones who have thrived. Cattermole knows how to play his role perfectly and is rarely anything but brilliant. Larsson has adapted to centre midfield and does his job really well. These are the players you need, not the ones who refuse to adapt because it's not their cup of tea.

In the long-term it's better for a manager to stick to his philosophy, otherwise you're just letting the players constantly dictate where/how they play. There won't be any harmony throughout the team if everyone is not focused on this. You need discipline throughout the team to build a strong side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back