religion. what is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your mam.

Just one passage? :lol:

How does someone 'interpret' it anyway, after the original interpretation into English? Are you saying the original interpenetration was totally wrong?
Of course it can be wrong, and once again it wasn't a law from God, it was something which happened and was recorded.

Here's a quote I like:

"Trying to debate with theists is like trying to nail jelly to the wall"

And you're doing nowt to dispel that notion.
Very similar to frightened atheists who won't even entertain the idea that they have to show why they're atheists.

Very similar to frightened atheists who won't even entertain the idea that they have to show why they're atheists.
Well if you were to tell us your beliefs then I might be able to explain why I am atheist with regard to your particular god, or goddess, or gods, etc. Can you understand that?

PS Thanks for the 'frightened' bit. That's really charitable of you to make that statement.

Your mam.
Of course it can be wrong, and once again it wasn't a law from God, it was something which happened and was recorded.

Okay then. Lets take one example, the story of Job. Has the total essence of the story been lost in translation? I.e. did satan not really persuade god to kill all of jobs family, destroy his house and give him diseases, all because job said he loved god.

It was a good answer in that it is accurate (in my opinion, anyway).

I still think it is sad that (some) people will adopt a set of beliefs just because it is comforting, no matter how extraordinary those beliefs might be in nature. Of course people are entitled to believe what they wish but I think that it shows laziness. There's nothing wrong with admitting to not knowing something and Origins is an interesting, although very difficult, subject to research.

Why? What have you got against comfort?

How is it lazy? They don't get a lie in on Sunday.

Well if you were to tell us your beliefs then I might be able to explain why I am atheist with regard to your particular god, or goddess, or gods, etc. Can you understand that?

PS Thanks for the 'frightened' bit. That's really charitable of you to make that statement.
You don't believe in God, as it a deity of any kind, yet you can't explain why.

My beliefs are irrelevant and as I've repeatedly told you it don't discuss my religious beliefs on here, in happy to talk about a god of any kind if you can?

Okay then. Lets take one example, the story of Job. Has the total essence of the story been lost in translation? I.e. did satan not really persuade god to kill all of jobs family, destroy his house and give him diseases, all because job said he loved god.
No that story is told as a true story, what of it?

predictably evasive.
Logon or register to see this image

sums it up quite nicely.
Like atheism you mean?

What of it? Well at best it portrays god as a naive idiot who can easily be tricked into torturing someone and at worst it portrays him as an absolute (unt.
No it doesn't, satan tortured job, god didn't but the question of job only serving god because it was profitable was a valid one that needed answering

My beliefs are irrelevant and as I've repeatedly told you it don't discuss my religious beliefs on here, in happy to talk about a god of any kind if you can?

Like atheism you mean?
What 'God' is this that you talk of?

Can you please define it, cos I can't define your specific beliefs.

Who knows, maybe your beliefs will actually make sense to me ...

But at the moment you might as well be telling me that I don't believe in Hgtybdrf.

Like atheism you mean?

He doesn't exist. I have faith in my reason. 100% faith.

No it doesn't, satan tortured job, god didn't but the question of job only serving god because it was profitable was a valid one that needed answering
And it was worth wiping out Job's wife and family to answer that question?

Or are you one of those theists who think that that was OK cos your god gave Job a new wife afterwards?

He doesn't exist. I have faith in my reason. 100% faith.
Good for you Harry ;) everyone uses faith whether they like it or not

And it was worth wiping out Job's wife and family to answer that question?

Or are you one of those theists who think that that was OK cos your god gave Job a new wife afterwards?
I don't think his wife died did she, no I don't but God will have taken care of the children who satan killed.

What 'God' is this that you talk of?

Can you please define it, cos I can't define your specific beliefs.

Who knows, maybe your beliefs will actually make sense to me ...

But at the moment you might as well be telling me that I don't believe in Hgtybdrf.
I believe in a deity which created us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back