religion. what is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

People are easily lead, manipulated. It's in or nature to 'belong' to some group. If you are brought up under a specific religion, it was taught it in school, all your family and friends are the same religion, there's a sense of belonging from that. Similar to football followers, nationalists I suppose.

People want answers. The fact is we don't really know how life started on this planet. That's not good enough for people, the belief that there is some higher power in some way controlling things is comforting I think.

This more or less sums it up.
It's very similar to following a football club as stated above, the irony of which will be lost on some here. I know lads who don't like football I'll be drinking with one tonight. He actually hates the sport and talks about it in the same way some are commenting on religion here. "What is the point of it, it's for idiots," etc. We're all different and like or want to be part of different things. There would be a lot less trouble in the world if we accepted that we don't all sing from the same hymn sheet and just got on with it. Won't happen though.

Is that Jack Rodwell in the Mountie hat?:lol:

Religion is not the problen, capitalism is.

Money, power and greed are capitalist virtues, what the middle east needs is a Russell Brand type figure to unify them against the corrupt politicans and powers.

Religion is not the problen, capitalism is.

Money, power and greed are capitalist virtues, what the middle east needs is a Russell Brand type figure to unify them against the corrupt politicans and powers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic.

you tell me, as far as i can tell, it causes more bother than its worth.

We are becoming a more secular society. The western world is anyway. If anything I would say that ISIS etc are a reaction to the world becoming more secular.
They're fighting harder to keep something going which in a hundred years or so may either be massively tyrannical, or potentially gone.

How many churches have you seen now which are converted into other buildings?
Many Christians, or people who claim to be, don't go to church, aside from hatchings matchings and dispatchings.

Because death scares us all and what better weapon is there to control the uneducated masses than to promise them all hat if you do as we say you don't have to worry anymore.

It gives people comfort I suppose. Comfort that "the end" isn't really the end. That you'll see your loved ones again. It's a nice thought but it's pathetically childish really

If you are in even the slightest way religious you are essentially on the side of these fuckin animals who commit these atrocities. Once you give credence to such nonsense as an invisible man in the sky then you're reassuring others to do the same. Somewhere down the line pricks will take it to the extreme

If everyone pointed and laughed at the notion it wouldn't take long for it to die out. I believe it will happen one day but not in our lifetime

Its stemmed from gullible cavemen

You are not a million miles away.

Religion and previous beliefs were a form of belief but also created a society structure and brought in rules for that society.
Its not a daft idea but really rather crafty.
The problem being is that it is not the religion that forces such evil on other human beings it is the zealots who read, change and focus on an a particular point and then ignore everything else that is said / written

It gives people comfort I suppose. Comfort that "the end" isn't really the end. That you'll see your loved ones again. It's a nice thought but it's pathetically childish really

If you are in even the slightest way religious you are essentially on the side of these fuckin animals who commit these atrocities. Once you give credence to such nonsense as an invisible man in the sky then you're reassuring others to do the same. Somewhere down the line pricks will take it to the extreme

If everyone pointed and laughed at the notion it wouldn't take long for it to die out. I believe it will happen one day but not in our lifetime

How else can you tell a child about his dead mother / father etc.

As to the middle sentence, you are just wrong. Why not just blame the pricks. Don't blame good people who have nothing wrong because of a pricks actions (which are against those beliefs of a good person).

How else can you tell a child about his dead mother / father etc.

As to the middle sentence, you are just wrong. Why not just blame the pricks. Don't blame good people who have nothing wrong because of a pricks actions (which are against those beliefs of a good person).

You're validating nonsense (not you personally) . It's harsh to say and the vast majority of religious people don't on any way condone the shit that goes on. But by making "God" real you're opening Pandoras box.

You're first point is a good one and I don't know how I would deal with telling my little one if a close family member died. I'd probably refer to child experts and see what would be most appropriate. But you're right, it's not easy and a child may need that comfort that they will see them again.

A adult on the other hand needs to accept it as part of life. It's shit, but that's the way it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back