religion. what is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's there to keep the masses in check . All religions seem to want you to believe that there is a better place to go to after you die . This is as long as you're good in this life eg don't complain about your lot / rise up in violent revolution / or be nasty to the ruling classes . :neutral:

You're validating nonsense (not you personally) . It's harsh to say and the vast majority of religious people don't on any way condone the shit that goes on. But by making "God" real you're opening Pandoras box.

You're first point is a good one and I don't know how I would deal with telling my little one if a close family member died. I'd probably refer to child experts and see what would be most appropriate. But you're right, it's not easy and a child may need that comfort that they will see them again.

A adult on the other hand needs to accept it as part of life. It's shit, but that's the way it is

Accepted religions have rules and their own good book. I cannot recall any bad accepted religions (as opposed to various sects). The thing that does not really surprise me is that so things between the good books are similar.

Problem being is when you use particular phrases from your book to interpretate law and sentencing. That is when issues arrive with a culture either 1300 or 2000 years older. That is when fanatics come into their own and form their own gangs.

Your other point is an interesting one, in that you would prefers seek the advice from a stranger as opposed to your own gut feeling of a father who wants to protect his child from harm

3rd point totally agree with. There are so many instances of people are not accepting what life is about, the only certain thing is after we are born we will die. That is like so many things in life, people refusing to take responsibility for themselves or their actions.

Do I believe in God, no but I do think the good books were written by clever men to guide their society to do the right thing. An interesting thing though is that I have been in some life endangering positions myself and you know what for a flit second I wished that God would look after me. So do I or don't I. Havent got a clue but I certainly do believe in doing the right thing for others, that way I can sleep easy.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Jews believe in an afterlife.
I was told by a rabbi that the Jews have a rule (don't know the official wording) is that they have to obey the law of the land they are in . Which is an interesting concept but I just know what is coming next and I am not going to defend it.

Old School religion = if you tell enough lies to enough people they will eventually start to believe it. Those lies will be past down to their children who will believe it, and their children's children who will believe it. You've then got the most elaborate bunch of lies ever told (granted a fairly decent plot for a fiction book or two eg. some bloke partial to a drop of wine and fish who could walk on water, lucky fella's met by 72 virgins after martyrdom etc.).....too late to go back now so we'll just stick with it eh? and on and on

Modern religion = An incredibly successful business model which any religious group would be crazy to jeopardise by admitting that basically it's all a load of bullsh#t

I'm atheist now, but at least with the Anglican church I was able to decide for myself if I believed in god or not. If you're a muslim and you denounce the prophet or the existence of god the punishment is death.

you tell me, as far as i can tell, it causes more bother than its worth.
It adds the meaning to people's lives that they intuitively seek.

Thank the Lord we've got so many educated free thinkers of the smb to save us from religion.
Also so many with chronic depression. Can't help feeling there's a link

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not a million miles away.

Religion and previous beliefs were a form of belief but also created a society structure and brought in rules for that society.
Its not a daft idea but really rather crafty.
The problem being is that it is not the religion that forces such evil on other human beings it is the zealots who read, change and focus on an a particular point and then ignore everything else that is said / written
I wasn't trying to be funny either, end of the day people believed the world was flat and that wasn't too long ago

Religion and science are not in conflict as much as Dawkins and the late Hitch would have you believe. Find out about the incredible claims/truths of quantam physics. For example, if religious believers said that someone could be in two places at the same time, they would be ridiculed mercilessly (as in the case of a number of saints such as St Padre Pio-20th Century Italian mystic-hundreds of sane people have verified to the truth that he could do just this- bilocation it's called) and yet quantam physics have said that this can happen.
I believe in the truth of Christs claim, not as an evacuation plan for the next world, but as a rock for this world and yes, eternity.

Religion and science are not in conflict as much as Dawkins and the late Hitch would have you believe. Find out about the incredible claims/truths of quantam physics. For example, if religious believers said that someone could be in two places at the same time, they would be ridiculed mercilessly (as in the case of a number of saints such as St Padre Pio-20th Century Italian mystic-hundreds of sane people have verified to the truth that he could do just this- bilocation it's called) and yet quantam physics have said that this can happen.
I believe in the truth of Christs claim, not as an evacuation plan for the next world, but as a rock for this world and yes, eternity.

Whenever I see somebody making a claim like that I know I have stumbled upon major league bulls hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back