Renting a flat (first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit late to do that when you've already handed over the money man, use your brain!

You hand over the money and they either give you a certificate or details that you can check online if it has been secured. They are liable to pay upto two times the deposit amount if they don't put it in a scheme.

I appreciate that doesn't help you now but your daughter could have/should have checked at the time.

So it's quite clear you don't have to pay by credit card if you use your brain!

You hand over the money and they either give you a certificate or details that you can check online if it has been secured. They are liable to pay upto two times the deposit amount if they don't put it in a scheme.

I appreciate that doesn't help you now but your daughter could have/should have checked at the time.

Clearly you don't have a brain. The important fact is that you hand over the cash and then wait to see if you get a certificate to say it has been deposited into a scheme. These things happen in sequence not at the same time. If you got a guarantee in your hand as you passed over the money there would not be a problem, but that isn't how the system works.

The tenant hands over their cash and then trusts the estate agent or landlord tobe honest and deal with the deposit in an honest way. As for paying two times the deposit amount if they behave in a dishonest that is risible. One because they most likely won't bother going to court and will ignore the courts demand for them to pay and secondly it costs the tenant even more money Togo to court. So even if the tenant wins in court they still may not get their money returned and will be even further out of pocket.

Haven't read the whole thread, so aplogies if this has been covered. In terms of affordability I would look to see if I could afford to rent the place on my own (rent, bills, council tax) and have the 2nd person's income as spending money (food, travel, booze). That is a good starting point to help understand whether it is affordable. I wouldn't rely on overtime either - use that as a bonus.

Clearly you don't have a brain. The important fact is that you hand over the cash and then wait to see if you get a certificate to say it has been deposited into a scheme. These things happen in sequence not at the same time. If you got a guarantee in your hand as you passed over the money there would not be a problem, but that isn't how the system works.

The tenant hands over their cash and then trusts the estate agent or landlord to be honest and deal with the deposit in an honest way. As for paying two times the deposit amount if they behave in a dishonest that is risible. One because they most likely won't bother going to court and will ignore the courts demand for them to pay and secondly it costs the tenant even more money to go to court. So even if the tenant wins in court they still may not get their money returned and will be even further out of pocket.

My daughter did check at the time but was constantly given the brush off by Hacketts who claimed it was down to the builder to deal with it. She could barely get the builders details out of Hacketts.

I'm not sure why you are being so interested in this case, possibly you work for Hacketts and are trying to persuade people to just pay in cash rather than protect their money by using a credit card. Maybe you realise that a credit card company is less likely to just walk away if they have to cover your asses when you let people down.

My advice remains the same. If you giving money to a third party, such as Hacketts, then protect your cash by using a credit card. That way if they shrug their shoulders and say, it's not my fault, I'm just the agent, when they refuse to return your deposit, you will have a means of getting your money refunded.

Ran out of time to edit the first post so trying again!

Haven't read the whole thread, so aplogies if this has been covered. In terms of affordability I would look to see if I could afford to rent the place on my own (rent, bills, council tax) and have the 2nd person's income as spending money (food, travel, booze). That is a good starting point to help understand whether it is affordable. I wouldn't rely on overtime either - use that as a bonus.

Good point!

It would also allow the OP to control what his sub tenant does and remove if he/she doesn't comply (as well as fixing whatever rent he wishes).

The only thing he would need to be sure of would be that his tenancy agreement allowed him to sublet!

good advice TC

The tenant hands over their cash and then trusts the estate agent or landlord to be honest and deal with the deposit in an honest way. As for paying two times the deposit amount if they behave in a dishonest that is risible. One because they most likely won't bother going to court and will ignore the courts demand for them to pay and secondly it costs the tenant even more money to go to court. So even if the tenant wins in court they still may not get their money returned and will be even further out of pocket.

My daughter did check at the time but was constantly given the brush off by Hacketts who claimed it was down to the builder to deal with it. She could barely get the builders details out of Hacketts.

I'm not sure why you are being so interested in this case, possibly you work for Hacketts and are trying to persuade people to just pay in cash rather than protect their money by using a credit card. Maybe you realise that a credit card company is less likely to just walk away if they have to cover your asses when you let people down.

My advice remains the same. If you giving money to a third party, such as Hacketts, then protect your cash by using a credit card. That way if they shrug their shoulders and say, it's not my fault, I'm just the agent, when they refuse to return your deposit, you will have a means of getting your money refunded.

Ran out of time to edit the first post so trying again!

Resorting to petty insults, clearly rattled.

Given I have no idea who Hacketts are, no I do not work for them.

I appreciate that she has been treated poorly in this case but she obviously didn't 'check', she asked and was given the brush off, that is not checking. Checking would be logging on to a website such as My Deposits or phoning My Deposits them to ensure the deposit had been secured.

Any ambulance chasing no win no fee lawyer would have gladly taken the landlord to court at the time.

Resorting to petty insults, clearly rattled.

Given I have no idea who Hacketts are, no I do not work for them.

I appreciate that she has been treated poorly in this case but she obviously didn't 'check', she asked and was given the brush off, that is not checking. Checking would be logging on to a website such as My Deposits or phoning My Deposits them to ensure the deposit had been secured.

Any ambulance chasing no win no fee lawyer would have gladly taken the landlord to court at the time.

Of course she checked you idiot. It seems to be beyond the scope of your intelligence to recognise that you can make all the checks in the world but if people haven't done as they should then you have no redress against them without spending even more money and still without any guarantee of getting the money back. Don't you think that we tried everything that we could to get the deposit paid into such a scheme?

And you also missed the point that by the time the deposit was due to be returned the builder was in administration and my daughter was at the back of a very long queue to be paid.

Of course she checked you idiot. It seems to be beyond the scope of your intelligence to recognise that you can make all the checks in the world but if people haven't done as they should then you have no redress against them without spending even more money and still without any guarantee of getting the money back. Don't you think that we tried everything that we could to get the deposit paid into such a scheme?

And you also missed the point that by the time the deposit was due to be returned the builder was in administration and my daughter was at the back of a very long queue to be paid.

Idiot now eh? 100% rattled.

'My daughter did check at the time but was constantly given the brush off by Hacketts who claimed it was down to the builder to deal with it. She could barely get the builders details out of Hacketts.'

So she didn't check properly.

The fact the builder was in administration at the end of the tenancy is irrelevant to the fact that they breaking the law at the start of the tenancy by not securing the deposit and it should have been rectified then, not at the end.

'My daughter did check at the time but was constantly given the brush off by Hacketts who claimed it was down to the builder to deal with it. She could barely get the builders details out of Hacketts.'

The fact the builder was in administration at the end of the tenancy is irrelevant to the fact that they breaking the law at the start of the tenancy by not securing the deposit and it should have been rectified then, not at the end.
Funnily enough this is the second thread in a couple of days where he's got rattled when defending his daughter. The other was about her driving. In his eyes his daughter can do no wrong and its the rest of the world that are at fault.

Funnily enough this is the second thread in a couple of days where he's got rattled when defending his daughter. The other was about her driving. In his eyes his daughter can do no wrong and its the rest of the world that are at fault.

It's a woman irrc.

Strictly speaking, we're not actually seeing each other. More so, the plan is now for me and 2 male friends to house share as it'll work out cheaper.
I'd rather share with a lady with whom I had a platonic relationship with.

Double idiot and troll, I smite thee with the point of my longest toe nail.

If no one is prepared to assist in putting the deposit into a scheme then what action could my daughter perform to remedy this situation WITHOUT it costing her even more money and still with no guarantees of recovering her deposit. The only real remedy would have been for her to withhold the final months rent as compensation for the lost deposit. And if that had been a possibility then we would have implemented it. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the last months rent was paid and so the chance was lost.

Given your attachment to this thread, and my posts in particular, I'm beginning to wonder if you fancy your chances with me. The answer is no. I've given up men for Lent. And I'm trying to go without for the rest of my life.

Are you equally as thick? Seriously what can someone do when the money has been handed over in cash and the landlord hasn't put it into a scheme? Realistically what can you do? You can quote a load of shite about the law on deposits and even more shite about checking but what if you've done the checks and the money isn't in a scheme?

Certainly you can go to court but if the landlord is in administration then there is bugger all chance of getting the money back. It makes more sense for the agent to be responsible for the deposit as the money is handed to them and no contact was ever made in normal circumstances with the landlord. So my view is that Hacketts took the money, Hacketts should repay it or be sued for not protecting it as it should have been. Unfortunately the law won't support that. So I think Hacketts are stealing money by taking it for a purpose and then not using it for that purpose and refusing to return it when requested. That's theft.

The girl did everything by the book and still lost out. I am trying to prevent someone else from being put in the same situation and have suggested a sensible way to protect themselves.

So why do you and troll one see fit to come on here and talk shite?

Last edited:
Double idiot and troll, I smite thee with the point of my longest toe nail.

If no one is prepared to assist in putting the deposit into a scheme then what action could my daughter perform to remedy this situation WITHOUT it costing her even more money and still with no guarantees of recovering her deposit. The only real remedy would have been for her to withhold the final months rent as compensation for the lost deposit. And if that had been a possibility then we would have implemented it. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the last months rent was paid and so the chance was lost.

Given your attachment to this thread, and my posts in particular, I'm beginning to wonder if you fancy your chances with me. The answer is no. I've given up men for Lent. And I'm trying to go without for the rest of my life.

Are you equally as thick? Seriously what can someone do when the money has been handed over in cash and the landlord hasn't put it into a scheme? Realistically what can you do? You can quote a load of shite about the law on deposits and even more shite about checking but what if you've done the checks and the money isn't in a scheme?

Certainly you can go to court but if the landlord is in administration then there is bugger all chance of getting the money back. It makes more sense for the agent to be responsible for the deposit as the money is handed to them and no contact was ever made in normal circumstances with the landlord. So my view is that Hacketts took the money, Hacketts should repay it or be sued for not protecting it as it should have been. Unfortunately the law won't support that. So I think Hacketts are stealing money by taking it for a purpose and then not using it for that purpose and refusing to return it when requested. That's theft.

The girl did everything by the book and still lost out. I am trying to prevent someone else from being put in the same situation and have suggested a sensible way to protect themselves.

So why do you and troll one see fit to come on here and talk shite?

Deary me, how am I 'trolling' you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back