Roger Waters letter to Jon Bon Jovi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about all the average Israelis who just want to go to see Bon Jovi? Why should they be punished because their leaders are bellend?

Yes, that's how it works, yes. Are you new to the world?

There's blame on both sides.

Only one side was founded on terrorism with direct links to the current ruling party, only one side receives billions of dollars EVERY YEAR from the Americans, only one side is forcing the other to live in ghettos. The other fights back and tries to defend itself/retaliate and suddenly there is blame on both sides. Of course.

Going to see Bon Jovi sounds like a punishment to me to be honest.
They let them play. It'll teach the Israelis a lesson. I suggest we send Def Leppard and Whitesnake over. The Israelis would soon give in to the Palestinians!

Yes, that's how it works, yes. Are you new to the world?

Only one side was founded on terrorism with direct links to the current ruling party, only one side receives billions of dollars EVERY YEAR from the Americans, only one side is forcing the other to live in ghettos. The other fights back and tries to defend itself/retaliate and suddenly there is blame on both sides. Of course.
I know what you mean but Slippery When Wet was alright. These Days was shocking.

Don't be ridiculous. Economic sanctions brought down the Apartheid regime, not sport.

So Putin for example... you put sanctions on Russia and he puts sanctions on you and gives not a fuck. If you told him he wasn't going to have the World Cup or even be allowed to compete in the Olympics he would give a fuck.

Waters will have made a fortune from the Gilmour-floyd years as well
yes....from the song writing. see my previous post. The band had new images to sell on t shirts, new albums to promote, concert tickets to sell and all done until the ownership of a brand new company formed after Waters resigned. Gilmour was clever enough to bring back Wright he employed Hipgnosis to do the album sleeves and even brought back the sax player from the 70s.

All carefully contrived to present a credible Pink Floyd to the fans. Of course the music was mainly shit.

I don't see how Waters could have made money any other way than from the songs he wrote which featured on the live albums released after he left the band.

He would have continued to make money as a director of the original Floyd company and always complained he was out voted by the others on every occasion anyway

yes....from the song writing. see my previous post. The band had new images to sell on t shirts, new albums to promote, concert tickets to sell and all done until the ownership of a brand new company formed after Waters resigned. Gilmour was clever enough to bring back Wright he employed Hipgnosis to do the album sleeves and even brought back the sax player from the 70s.

All carefully contrived to present a credible Pink Floyd to the fans. Of course the music was mainly shit.

I don't see how Waters could have made money any other way than from the songs he wrote which featured on the live albums released after he left the band.

He would have continued to make money as a director of the original Floyd company and always complained he was out voted by the others on every occasion anyway
I apologise in the lateness of replying to this, as I have only just come across this thread, as I normally only venture on Pure Footy (maybe I should spread my wings a little more!!!). I am very much in the David Gilmour camp on the Floyd thing, but went to see Roger Waters in Dubai about 2009, again another state, where freedom of is only a facade and their treatment of cheap labour from the Indian Sub-Continent is no more than disgusting, but that's another Story! However, I digress! Any way, I was really impressed with the show, and in particular the number of tracks from Animals, one of my favourite Floyd albums, which Gilmour never touches for some reason, known to himself! But you go on about how Roger Waters wrote most of their songs. Why in that case, did his backing band Copy Gilmours guitar playing and Rick Wright's keyboard parts, note for note? While Rogers may have come up with the original Idea, the songs as a whole were crafted with Huge input from David Gilmour and Rick Wright, and what do most people think of when you mention Comfortably Numb, etc? The guitar solos! So really speaking I don't think that it is fair to give Waters the credit for writing the songs.

Should just send a few of those 80's synth bands over there, the whole country would be empty in days.

I apologise in the lateness of replying to this, as I have only just come across this thread, as I normally only venture on Pure Footy (maybe I should spread my wings a little more!!!). I am very much in the David Gilmour camp on the Floyd thing, but went to see Roger Waters in Dubai about 2009, again another state, where freedom of is only a facade and their treatment of cheap labour from the Indian Sub-Continent is no more than disgusting, but that's another Story! However, I digress! Any way, I was really impressed with the show, and in particular the number of tracks from Animals, one of my favourite Floyd albums, which Gilmour never touches for some reason, known to himself! But you go on about how Roger Waters wrote most of their songs. Why in that case, did his backing band Copy Gilmours guitar playing and Rick Wright's keyboard parts, note for note? While Rogers may have come up with the original Idea, the songs as a whole were crafted with Huge input from David Gilmour and Rick Wright, and what do most people think of when you mention Comfortably Numb, etc? The guitar solos! So really speaking I don't think that it is fair to give Waters the credit for writing the songs.

But it's name on the credits...so he gets the credit.

Well he's played China a totalitarian state which oppresses any dissent.
Did he make overtures to the Chinese government about that and the thousands of democracy protesters they slaughtered in Tiananmen Square?
Selective outrage comes to mind.

Reactions: Pop
Roger Waters to Jon Bon Jovi: “You stand shoulder to shoulder with the settler who burned the baby”

Letter to the pop group Bon Jovi:

Dear Jon Bon Jovi, David Bryan, and Tico Torres,

Often in the past I have written detailed, and sometimes even persuasive, letters to colleagues in the music business, encouraging them not to give succor to the Israeli government’s apartheid policies by performing in Israel. Having read Jon’s comments last week in Yedioth Ahronoth, I won’t waste my time drawing parallels with Apartheid South Africa and the moral stand that so many artists took then and that thousands are taking now in the face of decades of Israeli oppression of Palestinians.

So the die is cast, you are determined to proceed with your gig in Tel Aviv on October 3. You are making your stand.

You stand shoulder to shoulder

With the settler who burned the baby

With the bulldozer driver who crushed Rachel Corrie

With the soldier who shot the soccer player’s feet to bits

With the sailor who shelled the boys on the beach

With the sniper who killed the kid in the green shirt

And the one who emptied his clip into the 13-year-old girl

And the Minister of Justice who called for genocide

You had a chance to stand

On the side of justice

With the pilot who refused to bomb refugee camps

With the teenager who chose eight prison terms over army service

With the prisoner who fasted for 266 days until freedom

With the doctor banned from entry for saving lives

With the farmer who was cut down marching to the wall

With the legless child growing up in the rubble

And the 550 others who won’t grow up at all

Because of the missiles and tank shells and bullets we sent

The dead can’t remind you of the crimes you’ve ignored. But, lest we forget, “To stand by silent and indifferent is the greatest crime of all.”

Roger Waters

I really hope that Waters has never done a gig in the USA then, because they aren't that good either in how they go about treating others or maybe his memory is not as good at it was

My ex was best mates with a Palestinian lass who was pistol whipped and sexually assaulted at a funeral. She has kidney problems to this day.

There was no comeback or justice. A kindly Saudi fella paid for her to come to the UK and do her medical degree.

It's not like these things don't happen, it's just that the press aren't interested in publicising what goes on.

You can argue that Rogers is being a melt, but bringing up these incidents do a lot more good than mindless anti semitism being bandied about by left-wing thickies on twitter.

Last edited:
But it's name on the credits...so he gets the credit.
Agree, mate, but that opens a whole can of worms up for me. It's a very contenscious issue for a lot of bands. The most democratic one that I knew of were Wishbone Ash, where Martin Turner, the Bass Player/Singer wrote most of the songs, but the rest of the band were also credited, because of their input on the final product;)

Just bought a Keter garden box like thingy and noticed it's made in Israel - what should I do?

Mind a couple of months ago I bought a Sodastream and was going to take it back when I realised it was made in Israel, then I looked into it further and found out that they were actually made by Palestinians. Who'd have thought that the 2 warring factions could be brought together by a shared love of pop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back