Rotherham Child Abuse update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Chef Evens' career has not been too badly affected by the overturned conviction!

Being serious for a minute, broadcasting a live raid of Cliff Richard's house on the BBC is fine but four men caught with a child in a hotel room with various drug/sex paraphernalia must be kept anonymous?

Being serious for a minute, broadcasting a live raid of Cliff Richard's house on the BBC is fine but four men caught with a child in a hotel room with various drug/sex paraphernalia must be kept anonymous?

I think we probably agree that until accused child molesters are adjudged guilty of an offence, they should be allowed anonymity. Cliff Richards is a good example of that - some of the mud thrown at him has definitely stuck.

We probably also agree that the treatment Cliff Richards suffered should not be allowed in any case, regardless of the alleged perpetrator's race, nationality, religion etc. etc.

I think we probably agree that until accused child molesters are adjudged guilty of an offence, they should be allowed anonymity. Cliff Richards is a good example of that - some of the mud thrown at him has definitely stuck.

We probably also agree that the treatment Cliff Richards suffered should not be allowed in any case, regardless of the alleged perpetrator's race, nationality, religion etc. etc.

What if they are Israelis?

Anonymity for child sex offenders and perpetrators of crimes carrying the greatest social stigma has been in the news since before 2010, when the coalition government proposed affording anonymity as a legal right, but no doubt because these suspects are "Asian" you now have reason to take notice. Unfuckingbelievable (or perhaps not....)

Excuse my ignorance, but how come Adam Johnson wasn't afforded the same anonymity? Genuine question.

Excuse my ignorance, but how come Adam Johnson wasn't afforded the same anonymity? Genuine question.

The same reason Cliff Richards wasn't. People talk about famous people and famous people sell newspapers. There's a huge difference between keeping the identity of a random offender (or alleged offender) secret and keeping secret allegations against people like Richards, Johnson et al.

I think Johnson was charged whereas these blokes were arrested on suspicion but never charged. That said I can't remember whether Johnson was identified before he was charged or not.

I think Johnson was charged whereas these blokes were arrested on suspicion but never charged. That said I can't remember whether Johnson was identified before he was charged or not.

Aye he was.

The same reason Cliff Richards wasn't. People talk about famous people and famous people sell newspapers. There's a huge difference between keeping the identity of a random offender (or alleged offender) secret and keeping secret allegations against people like Richards, Johnson et al.

Seems unlikely, if it's law to keep them anonymous that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back