Telegraph- 20 fiercest rivalries in English football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed marra. They reckon it is still one of the few places where fans will pile onto the pitch for a ruck - none of this mouthing off and hiding. On another note, apparently Eastville or the site of the former Eastville is now an Ikea or so I just recently heard. Seem to recall when I went to Tweton Park when they played at Bath (88ish ) it might have been a supermarket then. Ashton Gate was also the away venue I discovered scrumpy!! - still taste it now i think:eek:
Eastville was massive back in its day. From memory there was a motorway almost running over the top of the open end - or seemed like it.

Ikea now...well, well. Shame that all these old grounds have disappeared.

No Leeds? With anyone? Was this written by a 12 year old?
Try to make on they have a rivalry with Man United dont they? Their rivals are surely someone like Huddersfield Town?

For me, forgetting our northeast bias, I'd say that Welsh rivalry is pretty tasty but i'd cross the bridge and go and watch the Bristol derby for pure venom albeit without the huge numbers but plenty of bother.
It's worse with some of the English border teams. I followed Hereford for years. Them v Shrewsbury isn't a big deal but when Hereford drew Cardiff if the cup it was horrible. During the game there was bottles of piss being thrown between fans any object either side could get hold of was thrown over the metal fence that separated them. Straight after the match the Cardiff fans lit a fire in the stands and by the time I got outside the ground there were loads of scraps going on, a Hereford fan had a petrol bomb in his hand ready to throw it, I reminded him that it was his own town he'd be burning and he looked at me confused (the thing was still burning away)
I was only born in 82 so it was the worst football violence I'd ever seen happening

For me, forgetting our northeast bias, I'd say that Welsh rivalry is pretty tasty but i'd cross the bridge and go and watch the Bristol derby for pure venom albeit without the huge numbers but plenty of bother.
There's plenty of bother for the Bristol one, but the West Country is quite spikey for a few clubs. Torquay v Exeter is pretty intense for 2 small clubs.

Cardiff v Swansea - that has to be tongue-in-cheek

Two teams in the provinces not even english :lol::lol::lol:
They ply their trade in an English league. As they are talking rivalries not just derbies I'm surprised Man Utd v Liverpool is not in there ahead of the Manchester derby though.

Agreed marra. They reckon it is still one of the few places where fans will pile onto the pitch for a ruck - none of this mouthing off and hiding. On another note, apparently Eastville or the site of the former Eastville is now an Ikea or so I just recently heard. Seem to recall when I went to Tweton Park when they played at Bath (88ish ) it might have been a supermarket then. Ashton Gate was also the away venue I discovered scrumpy!! - still taste it now i think:eek:

Was that the midweek game? I was at that one and there was a Rocky Horror show on the same night, there was some right sights in the town afterwards when we went for a pint.

Swindon and Oxford.
Bottles thrown during game, Seats ripped up and thrown, toilets smashed and the base of the stand flooded. ...... That was the last league game.
Years back a Pox fan and mates came back to their car at Swindon to find it on its side.
Plenty of others.
Pompey and Southampton.
Shit heads v The Gas.
Millwall v West Ham
Plymouth v Exeter
Chesterfield v Mansfield

Was that the midweek game? I was at that one and there was a Rocky Horror show on the same night, there was some right sights in the town afterwards when we went for a pint.
Aye 4-0 hammering then on the Saturday we had another journey to Aldershot and lost 3-2. Can't recall travelling as many mies in a week to watch the lads - must have been nigh on 1200 miles by coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back