The Floaters Mill, Houghton

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness I lived round there and although I paid my Council Tax to Chester Le Street and then Durham, the postal address remained Houghton Le Spring.

It was never in Houghton le Spring, you may have wrote that on your address, so may countless others, but it the postal address for Burnmoor was never Houghton le Spring as it's never been in Houghton le Spring.

The whole of Houghton le Spring is in the City of Sunderland, next time you're passing the old station, look out for the sign saying "City of Sunderland" - that's when you'll be entering Houghton le Spring, regardless of what people put on their address.

I think the confusion comes from Houghton le Spring post office serving areas outside of Houghton le Spring, such as Burnmoor and bottom end of Fencehouses.

It was never in Houghton le Spring, you may have wrote that on your address, so may countless others, but it the postal address for Burnmoor was never Houghton le Spring as it's never been in Houghton le Spring.

I wasn't in Burnmoor (not having the 'o' the residents added to look posh).

My address was (right next to the scout hut) Sydney Street, Fencehouses, Houghton Le Spring, County Durham, DH4 6AN

That is definitely Houghton - this is from the Post Office.

Regardless of the what the post office might think, Burnmoor is not part of Houghton le Spring.

My address was (right next to the scout hut) Sydney Street, Fencehouses, Houghton Le Spring, County Durham, DH4 6AN

Sydney Street is in Fencehouses, it's not in Houghton le Spring. Houghton le Spring is part of the City of Sunderland, unlike Sydney Street, Fencehouses.

I think the confusion comes from half of Fencehouses being in Houghton le Spring so the post office will just use that format for all addresses in their area.

Regardless of the what the post office might think, Burnmoor is not part of Houghton le Spring.

Sydney Street is in Fencehouses, it's not in Houghton le Spring. Houghton le Spring is part of the City of Sunderland, unlike Sydney Street, Fencehouses.
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postcode-finder

33 Sydney Street
HOUGHTON LE SPRING
DH4 6AN

I am not talking about Burnmoor... That is the official address according to the Post Office ^^^^

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postcode-finder

33 Sydney Street
HOUGHTON LE SPRING
DH4 6AN

I am not talking about Burnmoor... That is the official address according to the Post Office ^^^^

Burnmoor will no doubt show as being in Houghton le Spring on there though too. For simplicity's sake, any DH4 post code will show as being in Houghton le Spring on there.

It doesn't change the fact that Sydney Street, Fencehouses is not in Houghton le Spring. If Houghton le Spring implement a town council, you won't have to pay towards it as you don't live there.

Who is your local councillor, who is your local MP? I can guarantee your local MP isn't Bridgette Philipson.

Burnmoor will no doubt show as being in Houghton le Spring on there though too. For simplicity's sake, any DH4 post code will show as being in Houghton le Spring on there.

It doesn't change the fact that Sydney Street, Fencehouses is not in Houghton le Spring. If Houghton le Spring implement a town council, you won't have to pay towards it as you don't live there.

Who is your local councillor, who is your local MP? I can guarantee your local MP isn't Bridgette Philipson.

I live in Sacriston mate, you're right Bridgette Phillipson isn't my MP.

Electoral boundaries, councilors etc don't effect actual geographic locations... they are made up for convenience and regularly shift - can you not remember the signs for County Durham moving from the Leamside line to the Cenotaph in Fencehouses, then back again? Or the 'County' of Tyne and Wear.

Since the middle ages Houghton has been the town and the surrounding villages are part of that town, as Houghton is now part of the City of Sunderland.

It makes no difference to me, but I'll always refer to Fencehouses as been in Houghton.

From Royal Mails site:

Logon or register to see this image

To clarify, The Floaters Mill referred to in this thread is based in Houghton as confirmed by Royal Mail.

Wrong.

The Floaters Mill will nee doubt be busy over this mini heatwave :cool:

From Royal Mails site:

Logon or register to see this image

To clarify, The Floaters Mill referred to in this thread is based in Houghton as confirmed by Royal Mail.

It isn't, the royal mail is wrong if that's what they're saying. If it was in Houghton it would also be in The City of Sunderland, it isn't thus it isn't.

The letters will get there if you write Houghton le Spring, it'll probably even help as that's the local sorting office. It's still not in Houghton le Spring though.

It's not in either Woodstone Village or Houghton le Spring actually.

It's all fucked up. I live right next to the floaters mill, have a DH4 post code yet me address is Tyne and wear.

You were using the wrong address. Bournmoor (or Burnmoor as is the original/proper spelling) is not in Houghton le Spring and never has been.

The post code isn't relevant. The whole of Houghton le Spring is in The City of Sunderland. As you'll know as you lived there, your council tax was payable to Durham Council, thus it is not in Houghton le Spring.

Fencehouses is a village split between Houghton le Spring (in the City of Sunderland) and County Durham. The border is now where the railway line used to be. It was previously at the war memorial until about 15-20 years ago when it was moved.

Im sure this is correct. I live just up from the railway line , City of Sunderland / Houghton side

It isn't, the royal mail is wrong if that's what they're saying. If it was in Houghton it would also be in The City of Sunderland, it isn't thus it isn't.

The letters will get there if you write Houghton le Spring, it'll probably even help as that's the local sorting office. It's still not in Houghton le Spring though.

It's not in either Woodstone Village or Houghton le Spring actually.

Royal Mail are the authority on official addresses and they show the Floaters Mill as Houghton Le Spring.

Based on that, I don't think it's worth arguing over whatsoever and best to just agree to disagree tbh.

Your pics on here will have killed off all trade.

I've heard it's closing down because of you.

:lol:

Royal Mail are the authority on official addresses and they show the Floaters Mill as Houghton Le Spring.

Based on that, I don't think it's worth arguing over whatsoever and best to just agree to disagree tbh.

They're wrong, like you.

I'll get on Google maps soon and show you the wood stone village sign about 100 yards up the road from the floaters.

:lol:
They think they are in Durham

Anyway, I'm more interested in where the chef works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back