The Imitation Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching a documentary about him on Didcovery History tonight. Seems like the film isn't that accurate at all....

Never mind, it's still worth a watch.

Perhaps the documentary is inaccurate?

Just watching a documentary about him on Didcovery History tonight. Seems like the film isn't that accurate at all....

Never mind, it's still worth a watch.

In what way is it inaccurate ? I'm off to see it this week, and I've also read Andrew Hodges biography on him, and I was hoping the film would be a decent interpretation of that.

Edit; just read the film is based on the Hodges biography.

In what way is it inaccurate ? I'm off to see it this week, and I've also read Andrew Hodges biography on him, and I was hoping the film would be a decent interpretation of that.

It's possible that the documentary makers accidentally watched the wrong Benedict Cumberbatch performance, and the inaccuracies they found are that in real life Turing didn't solve crimes and his gay lover wasn't a hobbit.

It deep it's Turing as a bit of an autistic loner, which. In one way he was, but it's known he also had a cracking sense of humour and charm. It also says he his his sexuality which apparently he didn't.

It also insinuates there was only one machine.... In fact here were 200 odd

I'm at Bletchly now in fact so I'm going to ask them actually :)

It deep it's Turing as a bit of an autistic loner, which. In one way he was, but it's known he also had a cracking sense of humour and charm. It also says he his his sexuality which apparently he didn't.

It also insinuates there was only one machine.... In fact here were 200 odd

I'm at Bletchly now in fact so I'm going to ask them actually :)

Whilst you're on, please ask if they would be so kind to try and decrypt parts of your message ;)

Not sure what the full story is in terms of inaccuracies (mind you after Shark Week the Discovery Channel is one to talk). I did however notice this comment from the American producer of the film in response to the debate:

"We know how very important Turing is to you over there.”

I expect he's quite important to you over there as well if you like computers, and people not being killed in death camps. You patronising cunt.

Well, I've had a cracking day out at Bletchley. They've had a bit of lottery funding since I was last there so they've spruced up a few bits. The canteen no longer looks like a it's the original 1940s food hall. It feels a bit less like a volunteer-run charity now (which essentially it still is). @janiep will be pleased :)

Interestingly, it looks like Google and GCHQ have both provided some funding as well, which was an interesting combination for support of code breaking and spying, I thought ;)

Interesting that they said that of the film, Turing probably wouldn't have even met one of the other characters (won't say who, spoiler). They have a nice little exhibition on the film with some props and quotes etc.

Recommend both the film and Bletchley to anyone. Both Historically and mathematically astounding.

Well, I've had a cracking day out at Bletchley. They've had a bit of lottery funding since I was last there so they've spruced up a few bits. The canteen no longer looks like a it's the original 1940s food hall. It feels a bit less like a volunteer-run charity now (which essentially it still is). @janiep will be pleased :)

Interestingly, it looks like Google and GCHQ have both provided some funding as well, which was an interesting combination for support of code breaking and spying, I thought ;)

Interesting that they said that of the film, Turing probably wouldn't have even met one of the other characters (won't say who, spoiler). They have a nice little exhibition on the film with some props and quotes etc.

Recommend both the film and Bletchley to anyone. Both Historically and mathematically astounding.
Glad you had a great day. We've been to see the film this afternoon. I thought it took a few too many liberties to be honest but nevertheless what an amazing feat. Deserves to be retold over and over. He's up there with Nelson as one of the all time great Britons IMHO.

Now let's have a film about Bill Tutte and Colossus, a separate Bletchley project from the cracking of Enigma.

Are you pissed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had a great day. We've been to see the film this afternoon. I thought it took a few too many liberties to be honest but nevertheless what an amazing feat. Deserves to be retold over and over. He's up there with Nelson as one of the all time great Britons IMHO.

Now let's have a film about Bill Tutte and Colossus, a separate Bletchley project from the cracking of Enigma.

Are you pissed?
I had a dose of the Eppings earlier. Sorry.

Saw it yesterday and I'll go for an 8/10. Well worth the money though. The suggestion at the end of the film that the actions of Turing and his colleagues at Bletchley shortened the war by 2 years and therefore saved an estimated 12 million lives says it all. What society and the law did later, in hindsight, is unforgivable.

Saw it yesterday and I'll go for an 8/10. Well worth the money though. The suggestion at the end of the film that the actions of Turing and his colleagues at Bletchley shortened the war by 2 years and therefore saved an estimated 12 million lives says it all. What society and the law did later, in hindsight, is unforgivable.

Especially when there are Mags they could have picked on instead.

i saw the imitation game last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it as a film, as entertainment as a piece of art. having read hodges book and seen people pick it apart its draw backs are the same as almost every other historical bio-pic made in recent times...

life is a drama, but the drama of life doesnt make for the kind of entertainment that wins oscars therefore people take certain liberties... it was the same with frost\nixon and daniel day lewis in lincoln, if you want a factual account of these things then you really need to watch a documentary. however, movies like this will give the subject matter a broad appeal which may motivate people to find out the real story, perhaps visit somewhere like bletchley when they'd never have dreamed or going etc...

anyway, i have a great time at the pix last night - which is why you go to the movies and pay £20 for a film!

i saw the imitation game last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it as a film, as entertainment as a piece of art. having read hodges book and seen people pick it apart its draw backs are the same as almost every other historical bio-pic made in recent times...

life is a drama, but the drama of life doesnt make for the kind of entertainment that wins oscars therefore people take certain liberties... it was the same with frost\nixon and daniel day lewis in lincoln, if you want a factual account of these things then you really need to watch a documentary. however, movies like this will give the subject matter a broad appeal which may motivate people to find out the real story, perhaps visit somewhere like bletchley when they'd never have dreamed or going etc...

anyway, i have a great time at the pix last night - which is why you go to the movies and pay £20 for a film!

Schindler's List comes immediately to mind when it comes to 'Hollywooding' a story.

Schindler's List comes immediately to mind when it comes to 'Hollywooding' a story.
indeed and it won an oscar, from a subject matter than doesn't easily make for 'entertainment' - i doubt i'd have heard of him if it wasnt for the film...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back