Unlucky bastards throughout history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy Raymond, flogged Victoria's Secret for $4 million and a year later it had made $1 billion. Ended up hoying himself off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Roy Raymond, flogged Victoria's Secret for $4 million and a year later it had made $1 billion. Ended up hoying himself off the Golden Gate Bridge.
I suppose the business world is littered with such stories.

Can't remember the details so I stand to be corrected but I think Blockbuster Video (who?) turned down an offer to buy Netflix for five million or some daft shite like that.

According to Steven Fry on QI a person in the States entered to State Lotteries, say Illinois and Missouri and put different numbers on. The problem was the numbers she put on the Illinois lottery came up on the Missouri Lottery and .... yes you've guessed it, the numbers she put on the Missouri Lottery came up on the Illinois lottery. Now that's what I call unlucky ................

Jim Lovell - went to the moon but didn't land in Apollo 8 and was then slated to command and land on the moon in Apollo 14 only to be moved to Apollo 13

Just goes to show how sad greed is.

Even 4 million dollars today is worth loads. Years ago even more so.
I remember during the property boom over here a bloke in the town I lived owned a three storey pub with a large beer and land attached. He also bought up the shops beside him.

He was offered €5m raising up to €12m (rumoured). Turn it down because he reckoned he'd get €20m. The arse fell out of the market and went broke and lost everything.

My great, great (I think) grandfather. Killed in battle on the day the armistice was signed.
That is so tragic. Around 12000 soldiers on all sides died on 11th November 1918, many caused by reckless American officers who were desperate for a taste of glory before the war ended. They charged German positions that they would be able to walk into with a couple of hours. A tragic and pointless waste of life.

The last bloke killed, Private Ellison, had been one of the original Old Contemptibles who had fought at Mons in 1914 and fought throughout the war only top be killed within minutes of 11:00am.

Jim Lovell - went to the moon but didn't land in Apollo 8 and was then slated to command and land on the moon in Apollo 14 only to be moved to Apollo 13

Like the atom bomb survivor, this bloke could be also filed in the 'lucky bastard' drawer.

Similarly, when I read the book of 'The Perfect Storm' it mentions a sailor who had had three vessels sunk under him and survived them all. He showed up for the shift on the Andrea but got a bad feeling in his bones and walked off on launch day.

The unlucky bastard was the Jamaican roustabout who was drafted in to replace him in the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back