Video shop memories

Used to ninja and martial arts movies in the late early 90s (used to do karate).

My mam and dad were fine with me watching violence but used to fast forward any sex scenes/nudity. I can still remember when we hired a film, think it was called ninja hunt and every 5 to 10 minutes we had to fast forward some sex scene until my mam had had enough and told us to turn it off. Bet my dad watched it after every had gone to bed
I must have seen every ninja film going, every weekend 6 bags of crisps and 2 ninja films while parents went out on the piss

Great finishing school and getting off the bus at Gladstone Street and calling into Lika & Flix on Bright Street to check out all the latest VHS.

Was Azad the one with the Red Lion on the cover?

Blind Lane Silky in the early 80s, owned by Jack Smith and one of the first shops of that kind around Sunderland I think.
Driller Killer, Cannibal Apocalypse, The Hills Have Eyes and Cannibal Holocaust. All bloody (no pun intended) awful with hindsight.

The Exorcist...now that was genuinely scary back then

Used to go to a local one in Hartlepool, only had 1 copy of each film so if it was already out you’d have to go look for another. Used to hire Sega Megadrive games from it too.

Brilliant days, now there’s loads of choice but I don’t fancy watching most the films that come out.

The Shell garage at Neville's Cross used to make more money from renting videos than selling petrol. Remember renting The Breakfast Clerb and other 80s shite.

There was one on Sea Road at Fulwell , corner of Bower Street, before it changed to Azad. Can’t remember it’s originl name.
When a new release came out they only had about 2 copies of it and you’d have to wait about 8 months to rent it
Logon or register to see this image

The Movie Cabin in Olive st .........The first video I rented was The Wild Geese in the early 80s

Last edited:
Can remember Blue House at Belmont closing. Got Aliens, Silver Bullet, Big trouble in little China, Demons and Friday 13th for a fiver. All ex-rental VHS

Tom the Walrus at Witherwack used to rent them out so me and my mates used to hire one on a Saturday night when one of the lads’ parents were at The Dagmar. I just remember most of these videos were f***ing abysmal. ‘Brain Damage’ anyone?
:lol:
Remember when his chilled cabinet went up when an air bomb went through it:lol:

Azad in the town for me. My dar would pick me up on Friday after school, we'd go to Azad, I'd spend an eternity picking 3 fillums, then we'd go to a nearby cafe where I'd get a coke float and he'd get something boring. Then it was off to his house, pyjamas on, and I'd watch a fillum in bed. The other 2 would get watched on Saturday night.

Good memories.

After he died, my sister and I had to search his house because he'd told me growing up that he'd stashed money under the carpet and if anything ever happened to him I should look for it, which I did, it wasn't there. So we searched for an hour, and eventually I found an empty VHS cassette behind a chest of drawers. I knew straight away I'd found it. Sure enough, opened it up, 2 grand in £20's. He knew I'd take one look at it and know, a subtle nod to those long Friday evenings standing in Azad picking videos with my lovely dar.

... and here come the tears. God I miss the bugger. :(

... and yes, I kept the VHS cassette. How could I ever throw that away. The 2 grand went to my Daughter and I kept the video. Good deal imo.

Last edited:
I swear, Netflix will never give me the joy of going into Georges in Silky when I was a kid and getting a video out. What was your local? There was some really good ones in Sunderland.

Also, did anyone ever have a bloke coming around in a car with a load of videos in the back? Good services, that.
Same bloke said to my Dad that DVD's would never replace VHS. When he started stocking DVD's he said streaming wouldn't replace DVD's.

Sadly a year or so later he was closed.

Early 80s used to go to one in Grangetown next door to car parts shop
They used to do VHS, Betamax and Laser Discs
Used to love going in on a Friday night
Cant remember the price but we used to get 2 or 3 and had to be returned on the monday

Azad in the town for me. My dar would pick me up on Friday after school, we'd go to Azad, I'd spend an eternity picking 3 fillums, then we'd go to a nearby cafe where I'd get a coke float and he'd get something boring. Then it was off to his house, pyjamas on, and I'd watch a fillum in bed. The other 2 would get watched on Saturday night.

Good memories.

After he died, my sister and I had to search his house because he'd told me growing up that he'd stashed money under the carpet and if anything ever happened to him I should look for it, which I did, it wasn't there. So we searched for an hour, and eventually I found an empty VHS cassette behind a chest of drawers. I knew straight away I'd found it. Sure enough, opened it up, 2 grand in £20's. He knew I'd take one look at it and know, a subtle nod to those long Friday evenings standing in Azad picking videos with my lovely dar.

... and here come the tears. God I miss the bugger. :(

... and yes, I kept the VHS cassette. How could I ever throw that away. The 2 grand went to my Daughter and I kept the video. Good deal imo.
Class that marra
You've got me going now, you never stop missing your ma & da

Last edited:
Azad on the green, was a treat every Friday get a film and if me ma was feeling flush a bag of chips from the fishy then home. I miss video stores yes streaming mint, havin almost any movie at your fingertips is something that would’ve blown my mind back then, but miss the whole ordeal of going to the store, spending ages picking one then heading home.

Last edited:
Blind Lane Silky in the early 80s, owned by Jack Smith and one of the first shops of that kind around Sunderland I think.
Driller Killer, Cannibal Apocalypse, The Hills Have Eyes and Cannibal Holocaust. All bloody (no pun intended) awful with hindsight.

The Exorcist...now that was genuinely scary back then
Aye thats the one we used - can you remember what it was called?

Back