Worst World Cup of All Time…

I enjoyed 2006 like.

That may be because I was 17, had finished college and spent every day in the pub watching just about every minute of it. Rather than Englands performance.

I thought 1994 was awful.
Diana Ross missed a penalty and it was down hill from there.

Maybe i'm biased because 1994 was my first one, but i was just getting into footie and thought it was incredible. So many iconic moments:

Diana Ross funny penalty miss
Baggio being pretty much the player of the tournament then his penalty miss
Romario/Bebeto partnership and the 'baby' celebration
Colombia own goal and assassination
Ray Houghton goal to beat Italy
Klinnsmans goal vs. South Korea
Gheorge Hagi goal vs. Colombia
Oleg Solenko scoring 5 in a match
Saudi Arabia goal when the guy dribbled pretty much the whole pitch
Maradonna's crazy eyed coked up celebration into the camera after his last world cup goal
Nigeria player grabbing the net celebration
Diving header from Letchkov to knock out Germany

All fascinated me when I was a kid. If I watched it all again now though maybe i'd think it was crap!

I think they’ve all been fairly poor since 2010. The last one a really enjoyed was 2006, that felt like a proper WC.

I didn’t mind 2018 but that’s likely to do with our performances.

The last one was a disgrace.

I think they’ve all been fairly poor since 2010. The last one a really enjoyed was 2006, that felt like a proper WC.

I didn’t mind 2018 but that’s likely to do with our performances.

The last one was a disgrace.
Exactly this for me

Personally loved the 94 WC. Baggio cemented his place as my absolute hero

Even though objectively it was one of the worst world cups, unless England ever win it, nothing will top Italia 90 for me.

The combination of me being 10, the iconic Italian venues and England's dramatic run to the semis and heartbreaking elimination mean it just became my world and the same for all my mates for months before, during and after.

Oh and let's not forget the "World Cup 90" binder and sticker collection, as advertised by Brian Clough.

I still can't hear any of nessun dorma without a tinge of sadness coming over me as I become a heartbroken 10 year old again for a moment 😂

I was hoping you were going to suggest Fifa hold a Worst World cup and to qualify they have the lowest 32 ranked countries in the play, which I am absolutely here for.

I was hoping you were going to suggest Fifa hold a Worst World cup and to qualify they have the lowest 32 ranked countries in the play, which I am absolutely here for.

UEFA already do atleast! It's called the Nations League Group D. Some thrilling games there.

1994 was a cracking World Cup apart from the final. 2010 I don’t look back on fondly.
Romario, Baggio, Stoichkov, Hagi were all class. Great WC when the top players play well. Easy to remember for the wrong reasons though. Escobar, Maradona, Diana Ross, the Leonardo & Tassoti elbows
They've all been shit since 2006.

2002 was the best, must've been brilliant for those who travelled
I backed Ronaldo for top scorer at 16/1. I thought the first one was a typo. Craziest price ive ever seen.

Last edited:
While not necessarily the 32 lowest ranked sides in the world, one of the biggest problems the World Cup generally has is in its current format is the group stages which allows for lowly ranked sides from the weaker confederations who in reality have no business really being there. Leads to a lot of ultimately pointless games which saps a lot of the entertainment value and makes the tournament drag.

Compare to the Euros which have traditionally been much more entertaining due to fewer teams, all of a higher calibre, and therefore fewer pointless games.

Back