2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reet, booked up my accreditation on the velodrome. MOnday afternoon. Look out fuckers.

In Manchester it takes weeks to get track accreditation - surely it can't be done in just one session in that London? If you don't have a private income, work shifts, work next door to the velodrome or are retired it's difficult to get to the skills training sessions on a regular enough basis to do it. I know a couple of lads going through it at the moment and they tell me the coaches are now really tough & regularly fail people too. I would love to do it but just don't have the time. Accreditation is only required for racing anyway - I just book onto the occasional open session or skills session whenever I can for a blast, but even that has become ridiculously difficult as it has become so popular that the waiting list is bliddy months. A few years ago you could usually get in at a week's notice. There's too many sodding cyclists now if you ask me.

They were supposed to be building one at Boro but it isn't happening now :(
Why not? - I knew there was some argument over planning objections but it sounded like it would get sorted out eventually. Shame if it doesn't get the go-ahead. There used to be a track in the boro at Clairville stadium. The story I heard was that the athletics folk shafted them and got them kicked out so they could add a couple of extra lanes on the running track years ago. I still have some photos I took of the end of one stage of the Milk Race when it finished at Clairville - must have been around 1981-ish.

Last edited:
In Manchester it takes weeks to get track accreditation - surely it can't be done in just one session in that London? If you don't have a private income, work shifts, work next door to the velodrome or are retired it's difficult to get to the skills training sessions on a regular enough basis to do it. I know a couple of lads going through it at the moment and they tell me the coaches are now really tough & regularly fail people too. I would love to do it but just don't have the time. Accreditation is only required for racing anyway - I just book onto the occasional open session or skills session whenever I can for a blast, but even that has become ridiculously difficult as it has become so popular that the waiting list is bliddy months. A few years ago you could usually get in at a week's notice. There's too many sodding cyclists now if you ask me. :D :D

Why not? - I knew there was some argument over planning objections but it sounded like it would get sorted out eventually. Shame if it doesn't get the go-ahead. There used to be a track in the boro at Clairville stadium. The story I heard was that the athletics folk shafted them and got them kicked out so they could add a couple of extra lanes on the running track years ago. I still have some photos I took of the end of one stage of the Milk Race when it finished at Clairville - must have been around 1981-ish.

It might have changed but last I heard it had been turned down as it would result in losing 2 training fields.

The Northen echo bit

Last edited:
Reet, booked up my accreditation on the velodrome. MOnday afternoon. Look out fuckers.
Which one?

Booked an hour intro at Hearne Hill last year and spent about 15mins on the track once the rain started. Really enjoyed my short track career, but never made it back

In Manchester it takes weeks to get track accreditation - surely it can't be done in just one session in that London? If you don't have a private income, work shifts, work next door to the velodrome or are retired it's difficult to get to the skills training sessions on a regular enough basis to do it. I know a couple of lads going through it at the moment and they tell me the coaches are now really tough & regularly fail people too. I would love to do it but just don't have the time. Accreditation is only required for racing anyway - I just book onto the occasional open session or skills session whenever I can for a blast, but even that has become ridiculously difficult as it has become so popular that the waiting list is bliddy months. A few years ago you could usually get in at a week's notice. There's too many sodding cyclists now if you ask me.

Oh it's a 4 stage process. You can't book the next til you have passed. This is just stage 1. The velodrome is about 3 miles from my house so it's super easy. Went to watch last night and there were some pretty ordinary skills on show I n the league!

Plan is finish my qualifications, do 3 sqt things them join c or b2.

Which one?

Booked an hour intro at Hearne Hill last year and spent about 15mins on the track once the rain started. Really enjoyed my short track career, but never made it back
Olympic track at Stratford

They were supposed to be building one at Boro but it isn't happening now :(
Gutted. Honestly last night looked like so much fun. Next week there's a surprise scratch and all sorts of weird combinations of kirein, elimination etc.

Oh it's a 4 stage process. You can't book the next til you have passed. This is just stage 1. The velodrome is about 3 miles from my house so it's super easy. Went to watch last night and there were some pretty ordinary skills on show I n the league!

Plan is finish my qualifications, do 3 sqt things them join c or b2.

Olympic track at Stratford

Gutted. Honestly last night looked like so much fun. Next week there's a surprise scratch and all sorts of weird combinations of kirein, elimination etc.
Al had an update to say it's going ahead now :) It's not 3 miles but only 30 minutes in the car/pick up so will definitely be going for a look. I think my next play is going to be cyclocross although looking at the state of me and my bike today, you might have thought I'd already taken it up. At least the gritters haven't been out yet.

Think I've found a cycling niche that's yet to be filled.

Commuting on the Pompino with Tektro Mini-V brakes that stop working when it gets wet I started to look for a disc based replacement. Apparently no one sells a carbon fibre disc braked single speed...

I need a new tyre and fancy these Trouble is there aren't any 25s they have 23s in stock though and I have one on the back Scott and it seems ok. There's 30% off at the moment and it will no doubt be finished when they're back in stock.

I need a new tyre and fancy these Trouble is there aren't any 25s they have 23s in stock though and I have one on the back Scott and it seems ok. There's 30% off at the moment and it will no doubt be finished when they're back in stock.

Funny enough when sorting winter bike out I wanted to put 25 Conti hardshell gatorskins but couldn't get them anywhere ( all sold out)
Just went for 23 s in the end.

Obviously winter here as wider tyres in demand.

Funny enough when sorting winter bike out I wanted to put 25 Conti hardshell gatorskins but couldn't get them anywhere ( all sold out)
Just went for 23 s in the end.

Obviously winter here as wider tyres in demand.

They are for my Roubaix which is mainly summer, so think I will get a pair, the reviews say they are fast and I need all the help that I can get. Seriously thinking about going back to an 11 - 28 cassette or, ideally, an 11 speed 11 - 32.

They are for my Roubaix which is mainly summer, so think I will get a pair, the reviews say they are fast and I need all the help that I can get. Seriously thinking about going back to an 11 - 28 cassette or, ideally, an 11 speed 11 - 32.

What you got at the moment ?
And what you got on the front ?

Got 11-28 on summer and winter bikes ( not on tt) and the two big sprockets have big jumps.
Price to pay I suppose if wanting 28....

What you got at the moment ?
And what you got on the front ?

Got 11-28 on summer and winter bikes ( not on tt) and the two big sprockets have big jumps.
Price to pay I suppose if wanting 28....
Got an 11 - 28 9 speed on my Scott and a 12 - 30 10 on my Roubaix. The 30 is great when the legs are getting tired on longer rides but I really miss the 11 as I have crap stamina at high cadence both standard compacts

Got an 11 - 28 9 speed on my Scott and a 12 - 30 10 on my Roubaix. The 30 is great when the legs are getting tired on longer rides but I really miss the 11 as I have crap stamina at high cadence both standard compacts
The difference between an 11 and 12 at 120RPM is nominal, like 1 or 2 mph at about 40mph.

I currently have N+1itis. If I sell a mountainbike, I could re-build my Canyon frame, fulfilling fast bike itch, and buy a utility fixie (Genesis Flyer or something), to fulfil utility fixed itch. And because I then have a fast bike, I'd sell my Croix de Fer frame and buy a Surly Straggler frame, fulfilling on/off road do it all bike itch. Hmm.

The difference between an 11 and 12 at 120RPM is nominal, like 1 or 2 mph at about 40mph.

I currently have N+1itis. If I sell a mountainbike, I could re-build my Canyon frame, fulfilling fast bike itch, and buy a utility fixie (Genesis Flyer or something), to fulfil utility fixed itch. And because I then have a fast bike, I'd sell my Croix de Fer frame and buy a Surly Straggler frame, fulfilling on/off road do it all bike itch. Hmm.

Hmm May have to count the fronts then although I thought they were both the same. Do you think these tyres will fit on my Scott?
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back