Age vs lifestyle

Whilst I wouldn't ever wish my life away, I'm pragmatic and at 56, (57 next week), I've had a marvelous life and if I was told my time was up, I don't think I'd have a single regret about how I've lived it.

That's not to say I want it to happen, obviously, (and I certainly wouldn't choose to agree ten years), but if it did...
I’m 60 and loved every period in my life. I’ve made some adjustments because I want another decent healthy fit 15 (possibly 20) years.
Nutrition and exercise are much more important than they were. I get a buzz from being in great health and the fact that I can still do everything that I could 30 years ago.

I’m 60 and loved every period in my life. I’ve made some adjustments because I want another decent healthy fit 15 (possibly 20) years.
Nutrition and exercise are much more important than they were. I get a buzz from being in great health and the fact that I can still do everything that I could 30 years ago.
I can still do most of the things I could thirty years ago but I'm not sure I want to do most of them and those that I do still want to do, I do more slowly. 😁

I've made a conscious effort to change what I eat. I don't think I could go back to what I was eating.

It may be placebo effect but I do feel much better.
I've always believed that your next decade in life is totally influenced by what you do in the previous decade if that makes sense.
At 53 with high BP/Cholesterol I'm now making huge changes to diet and exercise and reducing stress. Hopefully it pays off in my 60's.

I've reached 55 and all the kids have now gone their own way. Never had so much disposable income in me life with so few responsibilities. Just need to get a few more weeks off graft each year to enjoy it!
I in same boat mate funny how age creeps up on you but not all bad as planning to finish graft back end of year and take pension early
Can you not take early retirement and take ur pension early

Depends on your definition of living. For some its literally being alive. For others its not so. Having to work five days out of seven prevents you from 'living' in some ways. In fact a shorter work free life gives much more potential to experience all the things this world can offer than what someone who is essentially has a couple of days every seven has.
Aye I'd take. I'd be 46 and never have to work a day in my life. I'd get more out of those remaining 30ish years than I will currently working 60 hour weeks till I'm 70
Indeed.

Last edited:
I in same boat mate funny how age creeps up on you but not all bad as planning to finish graft back end of year and take pension early
Can you not take early retirement and take ur pension early

Can get my RM pension at 60. 65 for another and 67 for state. Probably look at going part-time, Tuesday to Thursday. Long weekends would be fine with me so I can get away and see family around the country. Use the full weeks off to watch the cricket overseas.

Can get my RM pension at 60. 65 for another and 67 for state. Probably look at going part-time, Tuesday to Thursday. Long weekends would be fine with me so I can get away and see family around the country. Use the full weeks off to watch the cricket overseas.
Sounds like a plan mate
mine also 60 but offered redundancy this year so taking it and can get a reduced pension at 55 so gone for it can’t wait 👍

I've always believed that your next decade in life is totally influenced by what you do in the previous decade if that makes sense.
At 53 with high BP/Cholesterol I'm now making huge changes to diet and exercise and reducing stress. Hopefully it pays off in my 60's.
I've just had a full health check and everything came back normal and healthy. The missus (nar) eats salads and all that weird healthy shit that tastes of f*ck all and she has anaemia, high cholesterol, iron deficiency and all sorts of other ailments.

I'll stick to my burgers. 😁

Last edited:
Nar my job is okay and pays well but the things I want to do with my time would mean I had no time to work. Travel the world, learn languages and musical instruments, read books, climb mountains and train for marathons and stuff. Impossible to do it all whilst holding down a full time job

I still try like

Train for marathons, I’d rather stay at work till I’m 80 than do that. 😉

My philosophy, if we were supposed to run we’d have four legs.

At some point you’ll hit a salary where every additional £ does not bring a proportionate increase in QOL.

Given what I think you earn you can’t be far off that!

40 and comfortable and able to do pretty much what you want sounds a good deal

I’d also be 40 but significantly less comfortable than yowww
Spot on Frij lad.
This. My biggest fear in life is the lack of control over time and how quick it goes. I’ve been to the funeral today of an absolute gentleman of a bloke who died well before his time, so to me it only hits home how precious time is.
Wish your life away and one day your wish will come true.

Most folk working full time get a minimum 137 days a year off.

365 days a year.
104 Saturdays / Sundays.
8 bank holidays.
25 days holiday minimum.
137 total.

Working life ain’t that bad.

Last edited:

Back