Age vs lifestyle

Spot on Frij lad.

Wish your life away and one day your wish will come true.

Most folk working full time get a minimum 137 days a year off.

365 days a year.
104 Saturdays / Sundays.
8 bank holidays.
25 days holiday minimum.
137 total.

Working life ain’t that bad.

So a huge chunk at work.

Someone could have a really stressful job and home life. The former greatly impacting on the latter and both impact on ability to enjoy time off.
Not a chance. We spend very little time on this planet as it is. Fuck chopping a decade off it. I’ll do so much over the next ten years regardless of graft, which I enjoy anyway. Got some cracking work mates

Yes but you could do a lot more without the need to graft marra.
people who say they wouldnt know what do with themselves if they werent grafting are pure wronguns imo

Agreed.

Last edited:

A good few years ago I was offered ⅔ of my final salary (at the time £38k) for life, plus a lump sum. I was 45yo and I took it and gave up a good job. I told my dad of my plans and he was both supportive and horrified because he was down the pits at 12 (WW2 gave him a break, like many) and never stopped till he retired and "not working" was alien to him. "But what will you do?" was his concern. I balanced it as a lumpy that I'd never be offered again, against a decent job and speculating on life expectancy. I was lucky. That leg-up let me get a job I enjoyed until I finally retired for good. Hard choices to make but, rule of thumb, take the money and accept the consequences. Or live your life wondering "what if...".

That said, I wish I was 10 years younger.

Maybe just me but that is an absolute no brainer. You did the right thing 100%

So a huge chunk at work.
Or a huge chunk not. Depends on your point of view. I try my best to enjoy the here and now rather than longing for something that’s not possible bar a lottery win.
A good few years ago I was offered ⅔ of my final salary (at the time £38k) for life, plus a lump sum. I was 45yo and I took it and gave up a good job. I told my dad of my plans and he was both supportive and horrified because he was down the pits at 12 (WW2 gave him a break, like many) and never stopped till he retired and "not working" was alien to him. "But what will you do?" was his concern. I balanced it as a lumpy that I'd never be offered again, against a decent job and speculating on life expectancy. I was lucky. That leg-up let me get a job I enjoyed until I finally retired for good. Hard choices to make but, rule of thumb, take the money and accept the consequences. Or live your life wondering "what if...".

That said, I wish I was 10 years younger.
Class that mate.

If someone offered you the chance to retire now, pulling in the exact same cash as you are now fr the rest of your days, but with the trade off being you age ten years, would you accept?

Obviously that can't happen (unless a genie or summat rocks up) but wondered how many value youth/years left to live over not having to graft. I know some on here can't wait for retirement, and others find it odd essentially wishing your life away.
To put it another way, I've just retired at 64 , if i was offered the chance to be 10 years younger but the price is go back to work id take your arm off. On your death bed most would give anything for another day and your offering 3600 of them ?. Value life mate

To put it another way, I've just retired at 64 , if i was offered the chance to be 10 years younger but the price is go back to work id take your arm off. On your death bed most would give anything for another day and your offering 3600 of them ?. Value life mate

I am valuing life nate. Its for living. People work to live. Remove the need to do work and enable more of that reason to live.

No way - ten years far too much to loose - enjoy your life as much as you can, the good days tend to outnumber the bad days - those lost ten years could contain some of your best moments and memories - provided health stays ok I will be hanging on for every day I can!

If someone offered you the chance to retire now, pulling in the exact same cash as you are now fr the rest of your days, but with the trade off being you age ten years, would you accept?

Obviously that can't happen (unless a genie or summat rocks up) but wondered how many value youth/years left to live over not having to graft. I know some on here can't wait for retirement, and others find it odd essentially wishing your life away.
What happens if you are going to die in the next five years. Do you skip death or die instantly ?

This will affect most people’s answers.

I am valuing life nate. Its for living. People work to live. Remove the need to do work and enable more of that reason to live.
But you only work 1/3rd of the day , so the bargain is for 8 hours of the day. Youd die 10 years early for 3 years of spare time ?
Changing job is a better bargain if its that bad

What happens if you are going to die in the next five years. Do you skip death or die instantly ?

This will affect most people’s answers.

Roll of the dice marra.
But you only work 1/3rd of the day , so the bargain is for 8 hours of the day. Youd die 10 years early for 3 years of spare time ?
Changing job is a better bargain if its that bad

Nor. You'd be retired as of now (no more work) regardless of age. So potentially loads more extra years to actually live.

Last edited:

Nah, i earn a lot in exchange for minimal output.

Still being churned out on retirement thread. Barmy.

i've been off for the last 7 weeks recovering from spinal surgery and its been f***ing class :)

my spanish has gone from beginner to lower intermediate
i'm playing some canny handy finger picking on my guitar
i've been cooking in slow cooker every single day
walks along the cliffs, raiding the whoopsy counter in asda at 6.30am
watched two full snooker championships

There’s no hard and fast rule to the suggestion that you decline after retirement.
I’m fitter and healthier after retirement (3.5 years ago) than when working.
Also, it depends on what you do to fill your time as to whether your brain sharpness reduces.

i've been off for the last 7 weeks recovering from spinal surgery and its been f***ing class :)

my spanish has gone from beginner to lower intermediate
i'm playing some canny handy finger picking on my guitar
i've been cooking in slow cooker every single day
walks along the cliffs, raiding the whoopsy counter in asda at 6.30am
watched two full snooker championships
What ya using to learn Spanish?

What ya using to learn Spanish?

few things. been doing night classes at durham uni once per week. been doing duolingo every day since december.

watching different video lessons on youtube to polish up on the bits i'm struggling with. been to spain 3 times this year also. watch stuff on netflix in spanish with english subtitles

loads of little ways. just chip away at it every day, 10 mins, 20 mins. sometimes an hour or so. its so much easier when your not out at work 12 hours every day.

i'm hoping to start a video pen-pal thing soon with some spanish lads who are studying english

Back