AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I've replaced Ola with Johnson in the central attacking role, Rodwell is just there to give us some balance.

Also I try not to read too much into debut performances, both good and bad. I will give Ola a few more games before I judge him.

To offset the outstanding with some mediocrity?

He's got everything to do with it. Read back through the thread. My entire argument is that I would rather play Toivenan than Rodwell and just have one defensive midfielder and Toivenan sitting in the huge gap we always have between our three DM's and our forward line.

As for Johnson it'll be good to have competition for him to have to work to fight for his place back. He's undoubtedly been the best player we have for the last couple of years but he's only shown how good he's capable of being very, very sporadically. He certainly hasn't been anywhere near the player his talents should allow. But my argument was nothing whatsoever to do with him, in spite of the name of the thread.

I'm hoping for exactly this. I think the "competition" will do him the world of good. With players on his wavelength... well... we might just see the player we thought we were buying in the first place. He's been there sporadically, (like last January, when he was on Fire), but imagine THAT johnson all season long! :cool:

I think thats down to how we've played & unrealistic expectations of him.

When he's getting the ball in our own half & has 2 men on him he's not going to stand out, when we've managed to get him in danerous positions or is0late him against the full back he's done well. Hopefully now when the opposition have more to worry about than just Johnson he'll get the space he needs to show what he can do. Even when he's apprently had a poor game, he still looks one of our better players, his long range passing & his ability to switch play is better than anyone else we have (or have had).

IF, and it's a big IF, we start playing with an advanced CM, like a 4-2-3-1 rather than a standard 4-3-3, then AJ and Toivenen will be fighting for that advanced role. Toivonen did alright in his cameo but we don't know what he's going to be like at all yet, I think that's Johnsons best position now, he hasn't got the pace to trouble full backs as much as he should.

----M'Vila Rodwell----
-Lens Johnson Borini-
----------Defoe----------

I think thats down to how we've played & unrealistic expectations of him.

When he's getting the ball in our own half & has 2 men on him he's not going to stand out, when we've managed to get him in danerous positions or is0late him against the full back he's done well. Hopefully now when the opposition have more to worry about than just Johnson he'll get the space he needs to show what he can do. Even when he's apprently had a poor game, he still looks one of our better players, his long range passing & his ability to switch play is better than anyone else we have (or have had).

Exactly right mate, great post - until we signed M'Vila whose range of passing is at a higher level again

To be honest I can't think of one game where Johnson was superb and at it all game. That's not to underestimate his contribution at times but I think your comment about him being a game changing sub is just about right and Man City got it right too in looking for a team of 90 minute footballers.
You didn't see the second 0-3 then I take it? He absolutely tortured the bastards start to finish.

People saying johnson wont get back in the team man :lol:

Hes our best player and will look better with players like mvila,lens and borini playing along side him

People saying johnson wont get back in the team man :lol:

Hes our best player and will look better with players like mvila,lens and borini playing along side him
Teams will have a lot more to think about defensively now with Borini and Lens about. Should give Johnson a lot more space to work with.

He played well for ten minutes then strolled around doing the square root of fuck all. Or was I watching a different swede.
He was knackered man. If you'd stuck a whistle up his arse you'd have heard it in Sunderland. His performance bodes well for when he's fully match fit, which at the moment he clearly isn't.

Been out injured for 3 weeks now. Didn't they say (after the initial assessment) that it wasn't as bad as first feared and would be back in 6 weeks? Has there been any update on this? Maybe see him back after the International break in October? Maybe he might make the West Ham game before then? That would be 7 weeks from the initial injury....

Be interesting to see where DA sees him fitting in now we have Borini and Toivonen

He will have gone from being only player with real quality to potentially not being able to get his place

He was knackered man. If you'd stuck a whistle up his arse you'd have heard it in Sunderland. His performance bodes well for when he's fully match fit, which at the moment he clearly isn't.
Or shows a player with talent but no professionalism to stay fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back