Are all athiests angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but we are surrounded by them. Makes me cross :)
I think it's a journey most atheists go on. Until I read The God Delusion about six years ago, I never really gave religion a second thought. I probably knew I didn't believe in God as such, but left it at that. After reading TGD it opened my eyes a bit. And yes, I know the book has its critics, but it still makes a lot of good points.
Anyway, after reading it, that got me interested in what it was all about and read quite a few more books on the subject. The upshot of it was that I became very boorish on the subject of atheism and at times very outspoken. Looking back, I was a bit of a tit.
I've moved on since then and I can see now that if belief in a higher power makes you a good person, then who am I to get angry at that? I still think that the actual concept of God is ludicrous though but I can now have rational discussions with believers about it, rather than in the past where I would start discussions in order to make stupid points and come across as a twat in the process.
So, like I said, it's a journey that a lot go on, but also come out the other end a but more mellow.
Although I do still tend to have a bit of an issue with psychics!

I think it's a journey most atheists go on. Until I read The God Delusion about six years ago, I never really gave religion a second thought. I probably knew I didn't believe in God as such, but left it at that. After reading TGD it opened my eyes a bit. And yes, I know the book has its critics, but it still makes a lot of good points.
Anyway, after reading it, that got me interested in what it was all about and read quite a few more books on the subject. The upshot of it was that I became very boorish on the subject of atheism and at times very outspoken. Looking back, I was a bit of a tit.
I've moved on since then and I can see now that if belief in a higher power makes you a good person, then who am I to get angry at that? I still think that the actual concept of God is ludicrous though but I can now have rational discussions with believers about it, rather than in the past where I would start discussions in order to make stupid points and come across as a twat in the process.
So, like I said, it's a journey that a lot go on, but also come out the other end a but more mellow.
Although I do still tend to have a bit of an issue with psychics!
I object to them trying to impose their beliefs and practices on others.

I object to being told that if I want meat at lunch today then I can only have fish.

Oh, unless I want a steak: but then the only steak available is halal . . . :rolleyes:

:neutral: :neutral: :neutral: :neutral:

The Muslim Britons who are persecuted for being atheists

"My dad threatened to kill me by getting a knife and holding it against my neck and saying: 'We might as well do it if you're going to bring this much shame to the family.'"

"When I came out to my family my auntie told me my brothers and sisters wouldn't be able to get married because their honour would be tarnished. And it would all be my fault."

----

All my Muslim friends they were just shocked. Initially they thought I was just joking, but when they realised that I'm serious they started abusing me, cursing me and, in a mild way at the start, they started threatening me."

His family disowned him. "I spoke to my mother over the phone and she yelled that 'you are no more my son'. Then my brother picked up the phone and their message was that you do not belong to us and since then I've not heard anything back from them." Afzal subsequently heard from relatives that his mother had said he should be killed, "because that's what the Islamic state requires from blasphemers".

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-discuss-mans-fatal-beating-inside-york-church-110209962.html

And I note how the religious close ranks.

Normally the RCC would be fighting this bunch for their parishioners immortal souls but once they start killing off their own teenage flock it's suddenly just a "bad decision"

<< Nancy Kneller, who used to work at a Catholic church next door, said residents had long been suspicious of the place. "Why are they so secretive? Why are there no kids out playing?" she said. Still, she added, "I think they're good people that made a bad decision." >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back