Auschwitz Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Again, all info much appreiciated. Been told if I dont go on an organised tour and go there ourselves I will have to queue as it'll be very busy, whereas on a tour you get passes?

Again, all info much appreiciated. Been told if I dont go on an organised tour and go there ourselves I will have to queue as it'll be very busy, whereas on a tour you get passes?
Go early, we left our apartment at 8.15 and got to Auschwitz at around 9.30. Walked straight in and missed all of the queues.

The building to the left of the wall was the shock for me. Bloke told us it was closed out of respect for what went on inside. Worst thing I did was Google it, all sorts of tests on kids and mothers
Didn't know about that, we went alone using the shuttle bus without a guide. It was absolutely belting down as well, so one about to offer info. It's a totally awful place if you know what I mean, also went to Dachau on that trip which was equally as bleak.

• BeerGallery, House of Beer, CK Browar - proper beer pubs, CK Browar's a microbrewery
  • Alchemia, Singer - canny for late night drinking, cocktails and all that shite, canny beer an'all
  • Pimiento - cracking Argentinian steak, top end prices for over there but very reasonable.
  • Fabryka Pizzy - there's about a dozen dotted around the city, really nice, cheap pizzas
  • U Babci Maliny, Pod Wawelem, Trezo, Starka - proper Polish bait, really nice stodge
  • Ambasada Sledzia - opposite Pimiento, cheap beer and Polish tapas
  • Cyrano de Bergerac - posh restaurant, a bit stuffy but the food looked class (haven't actually been!)
You visit that Grandma Raspberry place or whatever it was called that I recommended to you mate? Great little place that.

EDIT: It's that Babci Maliny one, isn't it?

Didn't know about that, we went alone using the shuttle bus without a guide. It was absolutely belting down as well, so one about to offer info. It's a totally awful place if you know what I mean, also went to Dachau on that trip which was equally as bleak.

Aye to the left if you were looking at the wall the building was all boarded up. Someone asked why it was boarded up then he told us, he didn't go into much detail about it though so I googled it when I got home

We didn't do Dachau but can imagine what it was like

You visit that Grandma Raspberry place or whatever it was called that I recommended to you mate? Great little place that.

EDIT: It's that Babci Maliny one, isn't it?

It is aye. It was my least favourite of all traditional Polish places mind. The portion sizes were ridiculous and the food was a bit average imo.

I wouldn't worry about queues. I went during a peak season and had no problems. Was a bit wet that day, mind, but still canny busy.

It is aye. It was my least favourite of all traditional Polish places mind. The portion sizes were ridiculous and the food was a bit average imo.
I liked it, but then again we were on a tight budget and it was our last stop of the trip so we were mostly eating kebabs and other shite from holes in the wall. It was our only real local food so have nowt to compare it with but was recommended to us by the local Krakow lass behind the counter at our hostel as a popular place for people living in or around the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it, but then again we were on a tight budget and it was our last stop of the trip so we were mostly eating kebabs and other shite from holes in the wall. It was our only real local food so have nowt to compare it with but was recommended to us by the local Krakow lass behind the counter at our hostel as a popular place for people in the city.

Unless your budget was £2 per day for food there's nee excuse for not eating properly in f***ing Poland like. :lol::lol:

Unless your budget was £2 per day for food there's nee excuse for not eating properly in f***ing Poland like. :lol::lol:
Haha, we used quite a bit of our fundage on that f***ing salt mine, mate. And then copious amounts of beer. You make a good point mind, no idea why we didn't eat more traditionally while we were there. Had some amazing food in Wraclow, though it was more Polish 'fusion' shall we say?

Haha, we used quite a bit of our fundage on that f***ing salt mine, mate. And then copious amounts of beer. You make a good point mind, no idea why we didn't eat more traditionally while we were there. Had some amazing food in Wraclow, though it was more Polish 'fusion' shall we say?

The salt mine was only £25 or something man. :lol:

At Dachau most of the buildings still standing are those that were built by the poor souls kept in there, so to tear them down would have meant those that died during the forced labour was totally wasted.

The only bit still standing that wasn't built by those kept there is the former munitions factory which is where all new arrivals were processed.

Next year we will be paying our respects at Buchenwald and may take in Nurenburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back