babies in pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

This could so easily be solved. If alcohol is served in an establishment, no one who cannot buy alcohol legally is admitted.

Thing is - other than on a Friday or Saturday evening, most pubs would make bot all money. A lot of pubs make most their income now on 'gastro' food sold to families during the day....

If it was a child friendly pub then you were perfectly fine taking the kids in. The woman sounds a bit mental to be honest but if it really was 10 minutes that's quite a long time to listen to someone else's baby so maybe you could have took the little un outside ?
I couldn't leave the table until they returned. God knows I wanted too. An old couple right behind us tapped me on the shoulder after and apologised. Said that woman had embarrassed herself and they were embarrassed for her. Interesting to hear others views though.

I have a new baby, 11 weeks old this weekend. We normally go abroad for our holiday but this year thought it would be too much hassle so decided to stay in UK. We have just been to Whitby for the last 3 nights. On our last night we went decided to go for a drink before our tea. This was about 5pm. So me, wife, 6 yo and new baby went to the pub for drink. We took a travel bingo and the 3 of us played that at the table while we had a drink. Baby was asleep so we decided to squeeze one more in. Almost as soon as drinks hit the table baby started kicking off. I got up carried her around, she settled a bit then went into kickoff mode again. We decided to quit while we were slightly ahead and leave. 6 yo had to go to the toilet first so wife took her. They were ages. Maybe 10 mins all the while baby was really going for it and crying. I was doing my best to calm her but nothing was working. Then a 50-60 yo woman from across the pub turned around from her table and screamed at me 'maybe if you take IT home IT will stop crying.". Couldn't believe someone could be so rude. I wanted to rip her f***ing head off but was looking after my child so ignored her. The woman then got up and flounced out of the pub. I'd it just me or is that disgraceful behaviour?
I would have turned to the person tending the bar and, pointing to the old bat, said, "Can you get IT a drink so IT can stop crying?"

I couldn't leave the table until they returned. God knows I wanted too. An old couple right behind us tapped me on the shoulder after and apologised. Said that woman had embarrassed herself and they were embarrassed for her. Interesting to hear others views though.

Oh ok - didn't read that bit. I'm not saying you were wrong. The woman was well out of order. I have 3 kids and it's always a stress when a baby goes mental but 99% of people realise there's nothing you can do. Being on a plane when they go mental is always fun

They should have spoken up at the time and crucified the old cow.

There is nothing worse than screaming children like especially in a pub where adults go to relax and get away from such things. She sounds like a bit of an arsehole though she could of just had a quiet word with you and asked you go go outside with the bairn.

Why do you think that you have the divine right to do everything you did when you were childless now that you have a child?

I barely saw the inside of a pub till I was about 15 or 16. It's the absolute last place I could think of my folks taking us when we were nippers. Same for cinemas, libraries, churches (except baptisms of course!) and various other places not conducive to crying infants. I realise times have changed and there are kid friendly places and whacky warehouses or whatever, but judging by the heffa's reaction I'm guessing this was not that kind of place.

People need to understand that when they have a bairn, particularly at the crying infant stage, that they're gonna have to make adjustments in their lives and might not be able to do all the things they did when they were childless.
Your a f***ing fruitcake.stuck in the dark ages I'm afraid. The op clearly stated it was a child friendly pub. Churches have toys and activities to keep kids interested, how the fuck can a parent teach their kids their chosen faith if they can't take them in a church! As for cinemas, obviously you wouldn't sit there for 2 hours with a new born baby, but most films are for infants these days, it's where the money is.

There is nothing worse than screaming children like especially in a pub where adults go to relax and get away from such things. She sounds like a bit of an arsehole though she could of just had a quiet word with you and asked you go go outside with the bairn.
I was dying to go outside. Couldn't leave the table. We had bags phones games all sorts laid out. Honestly if I could have just walked I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back