Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

Always wanted to see Angkor Wat and might go this summer. For anyone who has already been, how long is a good amount of time to stay for? Any decent hostels or hotels you can recommend? What else would you say is worth doing there after Angkor? Cheers in advance and, yes, look at me, bring him home, etc. ;)

Always wanted to see Angkor Wat and might go this summer. For anyone who has already been, how long is a good amount of time to stay for? Any decent hostels or hotels you can recommend? What else would you say is worth doing there after Angkor? Cheers in advance and, yes, look at me, bring him home, etc. ;)

Id say two days. We initially just got a one day pass (which is enough if you are prepared to spend 8 hours) but i wanted to see angkor again so went back a couple of days later. Proper enthusiasts get three days passes but I'm guessing these types spend four hours at each temple site.

*most go for sunrise but then leave again for breakfast after getting a few photos so you tend to have at least a couple of hours when the place is fairly deserted.

Can see all that siem reap has to offer in a day (lonely planets suggested walking tour is excellent - bout 4 hours in total).

Only other place I went to is the capital.

Last edited:
A few days, not really more than 3 (for me) ... If you get a ticket after 17:30 (or around that) for Angkor Wat you can get in for the sunset and then all the next day. I rode me bike round, but you'll need a tuktuk or a car or bike or moped or something. I always recommend getting the boat down the Tonle Sap to Phnom Penh if you're going ... About 6 hours, same as the bus but much more comfortable, sitting on the roof watching the world a fishermen and women go by ... Though it'll probably will be too low in the summer. I'm not that arsed about Cambodia, sihanoukville is reputedly ok but looked a bit wankerish to me so I didn't go. Id bus back to Thailand (or fly of course) and do bangers, ayuttayah (if you want temples) bridge on the kwai and hellfire pass maybe. Or down to HCMC or Saigon and train up or down the coast stopping at Hue and Danang, hoi an, mui ne and stuff.

A few days, not really more than 3 (for me) ... If you get a ticket after 17:30 (or around that) for Angkor Wat you can get in for the sunset and then all the next day. I rode me bike round, but you'll need a tuktuk or a car or bike or moped or something. I always recommend getting the boat down the Tonle Sap to Phnom Penh if you're going ... About 6 hours, same as the bus but much more comfortable, sitting on the roof watching the world a fishermen and women go by ... Though it'll probably will be too low in the summer. I'm not that arsed about Cambodia, sihanoukville is reputedly ok but looked a bit wankerish to me so I didn't go. Id bus back to Thailand (or fly of course) and do bangers, ayuttayah (if you want temples) bridge on the kwai and hellfire pass maybe. Or down to HCMC or Saigon and train up or down the coast stopping at Hue and Danang, hoi an, mui ne and stuff.
Stop trolling man

We only spent six days in Cambodia (flew in from Hanoi and then on to Bangkok) so if you are out there was at least two weeks I'd probably go to Northern Vietnam or Thailand then just do Siem Reap/Angkor for three/four days.

Ayuttya is fantastic (obviously not a patch on Angkor) and is definitely one of Thailands highlights.

We only spent six days in Cambodia (flew in from Hanoi and then on to Bangkok) so if you are out there was at least two weeks I'd probably go to Northern Vietnam or Thailand then just do Siem Reap/Angkor for three/four days.

Ayuttya is fantastic (obviously not a patch on Angkor) and is definitely one of Thailands highlights.
Did you get any

Me love you long time

Action?

Three days max,phnom penh is worth visit to see S21 and the killing fields but thats about it

Fell prey to best scam ever in that country. Bought a book on the history of the country as i was doing the trans-siberian on way home and needed something to do. Got to page 145 and it was blank all the way to page 700 then started up aga. Must have been mis-prints that some git had got to sell on :evil::lol::lol::lol:, angry but wtf good hustle

If you want to get the best out of your trip I highly recommend getting in touch with a Brit-managed tour company called Peace of Angkor. http://www.peaceofangkor.com/
The great thing about their tours is they time them so that you get the best of the light for taking photos and they seem to have a knack of avoiding the big Chinese and Korean tour groups - once they descend on a temple you are stuffed for getting decent shots. You don't need to be a photographer to join one of their tours though, anyone is welcome. They go out to some of the remote temples as well, as far as Preah Vhear on the Thai border. They had their own guest-house when I was there (2005) which was really nice. Not sure if they still have it though.

Get the 3 day pass as you probably won't be going back, may as well make the most of it.

If you want to get the best out of your trip I highly recommend getting in touch with a Brit-managed tour company called Peace of Angkor. http://www.peaceofangkor.com/
The great thing about their tours is they time them so that you get the best of the light for taking photos and they seem to have a knack of avoiding the big Chinese and Korean tour groups - once they descend on a temple you are stuffed for getting decent shots. You don't need to be a photographer to join one of their tours though, anyone is welcome. They go out to some of the remote temples as well, as far as Preah Vhear on the Thai border. They had their own guest-house when I was there (2005) which was really nice. Not sure if they still have it though.

Get the 3 day pass as you probably won't be going back, may as well make the most of it.

I dont like tours but did have to pick my times to avoid the Chinese lot. They were all there for Sunrise but then fled straight after so I got to see Angkors main site in peace. But a a few hours later they swarmed the place. Couldnt get moved for them at the site they filmed Tomb Raider so I returned there early the next morning for that and a couple near to it.

Aye a couple of days around Siem Reap and Angkor is enough. Once you have been to 3 or 4 of the sites it gets a bit samey and in the heat it just fucks you off. Siem Reap is a canny town with good bars and restaurants. Good market too - for art anyway. Agree with the river boat to PP. We originally planned that but then got the bus instead - and it was a horrendous experience. Uncomfortably crammed in and shitting bricks the whole way as the driver played chicken with oncoming lorries in the middle of the road.

Stayed in a place called The Kool Hotel in Siem Reap. Shite name, cheap but nice. Though that was six years ago.

Probably three days for the temples. Do one day going round the further away ones (Beng Mealea was the best of the lot imo) then you can take your time over the other days doing Angkor Wat and the ones closer to Siem Reap and avoid the hottest periods. Get a hotel/hostel with a pool while you're there!

There's not a huge amount else to do in Siem Reap but Phnom Penh is worth a few days.

my mate got caught short on that boat down from Siem Reap to PP. He had to use the little rickety shed they have tacked onto the back of the boat. Those sitting on the roof have a lovely view of the action. For years he dined out on how he "took a crap, in the Tonle Sap"

Probably three days for the temples. Do one day going round the further away ones (Beng Mealea was the best of the lot imo) then you can take your time over the other days doing Angkor Wat and the ones closer to Siem Reap and avoid the hottest periods. Get a hotel/hostel with a pool while you're there!

There's not a huge amount else to do in Siem Reap but Phnom Penh is worth a few days.

I reckon most people will be done with the temples after two full days, but that's cos im a temple lover rather than enthusiast. Spot on re: pool. However I still think the town is definitely worth an afternoons wander (I really liked it).

We need a whole day at Angkor wat, was a canny experience. Spent a little bit of time in Siam reap phenom phen and sihanoukville.
Nearly got my head stoved in with a brick by a very angry taxi driver who didn't like Cambodian currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back