Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. I'm seeing Vietnam with someone whose only been so far as Magaluf and wanted to make it more comfy for her...and the prices from Saigon to Siem are considerable when compared to the pittance of an internal flight in Vietnam.

My next visit to Thailand might see me get an overnight train from BK to Siem.

I'll probablys change my mind this time next week anyways...watch this space.

Possibly. I'm seeing Vietnam with someone whose only been so far as Magaluf and wanted to make it more comfy for her...and the prices from Saigon to Siem are considerable when compared to the pittance of an internal flight in Vietnam.

Flying to Siem is no more or less comfortable then flying in Vietnam. In fact the trip to Siem is very comfortable. An hour flight, airport is a doddle and then its one main road to one of many nice hotels. Then its just to and from your hotel to Agkor (which dooesnt take long) and having a dip in the pool.

Flying to Siem is no more or less comfortable then flying in Vietnam. In fact the trip to Siem is very comfortable. An hour flight, airport is a doddle and then its one main road to one of many nice hotels. Then its just to and from your hotel to Agkor (which dooesnt take long) and having a dip in the pool.
What I meant was considering the prices it was probably going to be air conditioned bus via PP which is what - 12 hrs inc a stop off and a flight back. HCMC to Siem rtn is going to be another 500 notes for both of us just to see one area.

Dunno. Still undecided.

What I meant was considering the prices it was probably going to be air conditioned bus via PP which is what - 12 hrs inc a stop off and a flight back. HCMC to Siem rtn is going to be another 500 notes for both of us just to see one area.

Dunno. Still undecided.

Think you are getting down there mind as my folks flew from Hanoi to Siem for 100 quid.

Think you are getting down there mind as my folks flew from Hanoi to Siem for 100 quid.
THAT might be a game changer mind. I'll have to check those prices again. Last time I looked the prices were reasonable until the final taxes add on at the end of the process.

There is no overnight train from Bangkok to Siem Reap. The line only goes as far as the border then its a few hours on the bus. There could well be overnight buses though. Much better to fly if at all possible.

I didn't have any issues with scammers in Cambodia - other than the disfigured hawker selling shit outside S21 - not really a scam but he was working for someone else who took his money off him. We were so well looked after by our tuk tuk driver in PP. Didn't trust him at first but he looked out for us.

Bangkok on the other hand....

I didn't have any issues with scammers in Cambodia - other than the disfigured hawker selling shit outside S21 - not really a scam but he was working for someone else who took his money off him. We were so well looked after by our tuk tuk driver in PP. Didn't trust him at first but he looked out for us.

Bangkok on the other hand....

This x1000.

Different experiences. I've never had anyone trying to rip me off in thailand or vietnam. Well actually 3 idiots who clean your shoes tried to in vietnam but locals got involved and sent them packing. Cambodia everyone just wants extra money for a poor service. Even the tuktuk driver who should have taken me 2 minutes for phone credit took me for about 10 before I went off it at him. Actually vietnam is a much more vibrant country in my opinion. Thailand even have the tourist police flexing their batons if a tourist gets ripped off. Cambodia the police try to sell you their uniform!

Different experiences. I've never had anyone trying to rip me off in thailand or vietnam. Well actually 3 idiots who clean your shoes tried to in vietnam but locals got involved and sent them packing. Cambodia everyone just wants extra money for a poor service. Even the tuktuk driver who should have taken me 2 minutes for phone credit took me for about 10 before I went off it at him. Actually vietnam is a much more vibrant country in my opinion. Thailand even have the tourist police flexing their batons if a tourist gets ripped off. Cambodia the police try to sell you their uniform!
Not my experience - though they have got fuck all, the majority of them, good people, trying to get by ... I don't mind overpaying during a barter etc. it's not like the 'loss' to me is felt as greatly as the gain is to them. Saying that, I had no bother anywhere ... I must be gregarious.

Reet, sorry if this has already been answered, but getting from Phnom Penh to Angkor or the temple complexes, is it best to book transport and tickets ahead of time? I'll be staying in Tokyo for a few days with a mate beforehand and I'll have my decent threads instead of the shite I usually travel in - am I going to get mugged/raped? :lol: I'll be travelling alone.

Reet, sorry if this has already been answered, but getting from Phnom Penh to Angkor or the temple complexes, is it best to book transport and tickets ahead of time? I'll be staying in Tokyo for a few days with a mate beforehand and I'll have my decent threads instead of the shite I usually travel in - am I going to get mugged/raped? :lol: I'll be travelling alone.
If youre bussing it then no need to pre book ... theres a few different bus services, like meking express ... sometimes the wifi even works! Cambodian muggers and rapers only go after fancily dressed visitors, so that is a worry ... best get some cutoffs, dreads or a topknot and ukelele, just to be on the safe side.

If youre bussing it then no need to pre book ... theres a few different bus services, like meking express ... sometimes the wifi even works! Cambodian muggers and rapers only go after fancily dressed visitors, so that is a worry ... best get some cutoffs, dreads or a topknot and ukelele, just to be on the safe side.
Fuck, best get down for a haircut, mate! ;)

Don't shower or shave for a day or 2 and first chance you get, slip into an Angkor Beer or Beer Lao singlet...that should throw them off the scent...
TBH it's as safe as houses in Cambodia.

I'd say get the 3 day pass (it's double one day so an extra day is free anyway). I found cambodia a horrible country. Corrupt from top to bottom. Phnong penh has s21 and the killing fields. Harrowing but worth seeing. Ankgor wat is not really the best temple. Bayon is better in my opinion. As others have said you do need a car or tuktuk. Even the coppers in Angkor wat try and sell you their badges and caps. I said I'd never go to cambodia again but I'm going on Saturday as my son wants to. I can recommend a 5 star hotel that I'm staying in again. $40 a night which you can get a lot cheaper places for but its true 5 star. Never experienced anything like it from the staff to the carved hardwood furniture and massive rooms. It's a $3 dollar tuktuk ride from town but worth it for the experience. As others have said the water levels are low so no boats ran when I was there. The main road is like a farm track at times (single mud track as it washed away and no one has fixed it). Buy in the capital all the charity workers are driving round in brand new SUVs. I'd say 3 days max in Siem reap and the same in phnong penh then flee (but not to pattaya -see another thread). The best thing for cambodia would be for vietnam to invade again and free the place of corruption.
Mate, as I get a few more things sorted I will PM you for some advice and about that hotel, etc, if that's okay? Did you go Cambodia to Vietnam, by the way?

A few days, not really more than 3 (for me) ... If you get a ticket after 17:30 (or around that) for Angkor Wat you can get in for the sunset and then all the next day. I rode me bike round, but you'll need a tuktuk or a car or bike or moped or something. I always recommend getting the boat down the Tonle Sap to Phnom Penh if you're going ... About 6 hours, same as the bus but much more comfortable, sitting on the roof watching the world a fishermen and women go by ... Though it'll probably will be too low in the summer. I'm not that arsed about Cambodia, sihanoukville is reputedly ok but looked a bit wankerish to me so I didn't go. Id bus back to Thailand (or fly of course) and do bangers, ayuttayah (if you want temples) bridge on the kwai and hellfire pass maybe. Or down to HCMC or Saigon and train up or down the coast stopping at Hue and Danang, hoi an, mui ne and stuff.
I'm considering crossing to Vietnam. They have scrapped their VISA charges for UK residents for a year as well. It take it it's easy enough to get a bus or other land transport there? If you did it, can you suggest a few firms I can look into?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, as I get a few more things sorted I will PM you for some advice and about that hotel, etc, if that's okay? Did you go Cambodia to Vietnam, by the way?

I'm considering crossing to Vietnam. They have scrapped their VISA charges for UK residents for a year as well. It take it it's easy enough to get a bus or other land transport there? If you did it, can you suggest a few firms I can look into?
From Phnom Penh its a piece of piss by bus, about 6 hours ... But the road after the border is proper smooth communistic tarmac, not mud. There's plenty of bus firms but I used Mekong Express I think ... There's an office down by the boat pier, or your hotel / hostel will sort it all for you ... Not sure about the visa thing, you'll still need one ... Again, hotel / hostel will have a service usually, same day, two day etc. Crossing the border is pretty painless as the bus stewardess does most of the form filling and takes your passport then you get called through as they look at them ... A bit hectic with ninnies panicking, but all over in 30 minutes. Siem Reap to HCMC is a 12 - 16 hour trip on shitey muddy holes with a bit of road in places ... Change at PP usually I think.

From Phnom Penh its a piece of piss by bus, about 6 hours ... But the road after the border is proper smooth communistic tarmac, not mud. There's plenty of bus firms but I used Mekong Express I think ... There's an office down by the boat pier, or your hotel / hostel will sort it all for you ... Not sure about the visa thing, you'll still need one ... Again, hotel / hostel will have a service usually, same day, two day etc. Crossing the border is pretty painless as the bus stewardess does most of the form filling and takes your passport then you get called through as they look at them ... A bit hectic with ninnies panicking, but all over in 30 minutes. Siem Reap to HCMC is a 12 - 16 hour trip on shitey muddy holes with a bit of road in places ... Change at PP usually I think.
They just scrapped visa's for Brit's staying less than 15 days...
http://www.easyvoyage.co.uk/travel-...-visa-free-policy-for-five-eu-countries-48692

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back