Car screenwash issue

Fred

Winger
Resident mechanics or with better car knowledge than me.

I'm having an issue with my screen wash and wiper blades. They are currently making my windscreen dirtier and getting huge smear marks all over both windscreens and I think it was due to a nasty batch of screen wash. I have tried flushing it out with boiling water and white vinegar, but absolutely no success at all. Also I can't get to the tank that holds the screen wash to get it out because the fuse box is in the way and I don't fancy messing with that.

Is it a case of going to a mechanic to try and fully clean out the tank, or could there be an underlying issue? I tried about 2ltrs of white vinegar and about 10ltrs of boiling water.

I'm having an issue with my screen wash and wiper blades. They are currently making my windscreen dirtier and getting huge smear marks all over both windscreens and I think it was due to a nasty batch of screen wash. I have tried flushing it out with boiling water and white vinegar, but absolutely no success at all. Also I can't get to the tank that holds the screen wash to get it out because the fuse box is in the way and I don't fancy messing with that.

Is it a case of going to a mechanic to try and fully clean out the tank, or could there be an underlying issue? I tried about 2ltrs of white vinegar and about 10ltrs of boiling water.
What happens if you just squirt some screen wash mixture onto the screen and not use the bottle - still have smear marks ? Never known a nasty batch of screen wash - known people not put enough screen wash and it gets mouldy and stinks. I reckon need new wipers but might need to wipe lion shit on the screen or format your car (usual responses).

Replace the Wiper blades ( or clean them with mild soapy water ) … just my opinion mate !

There’s usually a filter gauze at the bottom of the reservoir tank - if it’s still squirting ( ooh matron) then it’s clear.
Sounds like your wiper blades mate - Halfords will fit them or it’s a quick DIY - get the best blades you can afford.

Edit - give the blades a clean first - mine get full of crap.

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention, I have already cleaned the wiper blades with WD40 and also when I fill the screen wash to the top, it turns a manky colour within about 2 seconds of the air hitting it and it looks like it has air bubbles as well.

Sorry I forgot to mention, I have already cleaned the wiper blades with WD40 and also when I fill the screen wash to the top, it turns a manky colour within about 2 seconds of the air hitting it and it looks like it has air bubbles as well.
Wd40 on your windscreen won't help

Had similar last year when I had to take the car to a mechanic to properly flush out the screen wash revivor and clean the filter. Over time the screenwash plumbing can get bunged up but in many cars it's very hard to get the the tank and filter without taking half the car apart - which was way beyond my DIY skills

Sounds to me like someone has swapped your washer fluid tank with your oil tank.

Back