Dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice gesture. It's an horrendous disease that can be misunderstood by people who've never experienced living with it. A lot of people think it's something you only get when you're old and become a little forgetful. If only. I work for Alzheimer's Society and would recommend the helpline for advice and direction to local services if anyone needs any support.

Nice gesture. It's an horrendous disease that can be misunderstood by people who've never experienced living with it. A lot of people think it's something you only get when you're old and become a little forgetful. If only. I work for Alzheimer's Society and would recommend the helpline for advice and direction to local services if anyone needs any support.
nailed if for me like, i was shocked at the post that said a 54 (?) year old had it tbh

My grandad ended up in a secure Mental hospital / home with it many years ago, it was a scary place, he used to call my brother William, he was called Stephen but he just went along with it.

i had a f***ing massive fall out with my sister mate about the same thing , when my lad was riddled with cancer all the family were visiting , she didn't , i couldn't understand why so had a go at her , she said that it would absolutely f***ing crush her seeing him in that condition & that's why she never went , me heed was allover the place at the time like ( obviously ) , but i just thought it was wrong at the time ,dinnar now like , nowt i could do about it anyway tbh
I am crap in these situations. I've never been the biggest fan of even going to the dentist and went to visit my mother in law in hossie when she had cancer and just fainted. I felt crap not going with my missus and her dad, but they understood. Still feel guilty to this day and she's been dead over 20 years.

I'd rather my daughter remember my dad how she can, knowing the torment she's probably feeling.

My son in law did some electrical work for his elderly neighbour this week. When he'd completed a couple of hours work the old chap asked he much did he owe. Son in law said "nowt" but the bloke insisted so he said £20. After chatting the old fella asked how much again, S in L says £10.....the old bugger reached in his pocket and handed him a fiver!:D

I watched a good program a few years ago Channel 4 called "The Fear" about a guy who's a local hardman and how he copes with the onset of getting dementia. It was good as it put a different slant on what is seen as something that only happens to little old people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back