Dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mam had it for the last few years of her life. I remember the feelings of guilt and desperation when I was looking for a care home for her. We had tried to get her to come and live with us so we could give her the care she needed but in the end that was impossible. She simply needed attention 24 hours a day. It's a horrible decease and devastating for the loved ones to witness. It's been 3 years since her passing and it's still painful to think about it. A while ago there were posters on here taking the piss after Jimmy Hill had been diagnosed with dementia. I very much doubt many of them would have witnessed this vile decease first hand.

It's a horrible disease. I've worked in care for 5 years now and no two days are the same. I can only imagine what it's like for families and friends. In an ideal world families would be better educated on the disease, to try and help them understand what the disease does, and how it may affect their loved ones. Their are a lot of people out there, that can help.

My Nana is slowly losing it like. Mind you, she's canny old. As of next month, all six of her children are pensioners.

I don't know a lot of my family on that side (there are a lot...) but I'm sure she has grandchildren in their late 40s/50s :lol:

My Mam had it for the last few years of her life. Once or twice a week, me or one of my brothers would insist my Dad would get out for a few pints during the day & come back & get a couple of hours kip before he got up again for the evening. One time, my Mam thought my Dad up in bed was her Dad (who was dead many years) & was talking about getting a knife & going up to stab him. She couldn't understand how he was dead but asleep upstairs at the same time. Completely crazy shit altogether. She was also found wondering the streets in her nightgown early in the morning. After putting it off for as long as possible, he finally had to get her put in to a home. He just couldn't take it anymore.

There were a few funny moments though. The whole family were down in mine for Christmas dinner one year & as they were heading off, she turns to my brother who had his hands full with presents & says "Where did ya win all them???". :lol: You probably had to be there but everyone was pissing themselves.

My mate's daughter used to take her Gran out in the car every Sunday.
One day she asked, Who are you?
Janine, Gran, she replied.
A few minutes later she asked the same question and was told...Janine gran, I'm your granddaughter. This happened a few times and when she took her back to the Care Home she said... Right, I'll see you next week and don't forget...I'm Janine. The old dear said, I know that!! I've got a granddaughter called Janine!
Bless.

picked up a lass from whitley earlier today & took her to jarrow, while on the way she was saying her mam had dementia & she was visiting her, f***ing hell she got to the house & her mother freaked out , started calling her names & everything, throwing things at her & called the police & said she was a burglar :eek:, i couldn't believe it , ( never known anyone with it tbh ) anyway the lass was f***ing heartbroken & asked if i could just take her back, she said she didn't know if she had enough cash, i just gave her a lift back gratis like ( well , was going back anyway, she said she would drop the fare off at the office for me , i told her not to bother , its alreet ) i felt so f***ing sorry for her, her xmas i ruined , i honestly never knew people with dementia actually went on like that , that was the rest of my day ruined, cant stop thinking about the poor lass :( so upsetting her mam cant remember who she is now like , what a shame :(, hope none of my parents get this mind, & fell sorry for anyone's who have
My 54 year old cousin has just gone into a home with it

My Mam's got it . It's heartbreaking . My Dad died in March and she didn't really understand what was going on . She thought it was her Dad's funeral .
She's in a home now but she hardly eats anything . She put a bit weight on a few months ago when she went up to 4 1/4 stone. If it wasn't for fortified drinks she'd be dead now .

It's a horrible condition like and my heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with it .

My mate's daughter used to take her Gran out in the car every Sunday.
One day she asked, Who are you?
Janine, Gran, she replied.
A few minutes later she asked the same question and was told...Janine gran, I'm your granddaughter. This happened a few times and when she took her back to the Care Home she said... Right, I'll see you next week and don't forget...I'm Janine. The old dear said, I know that!! I've got a granddaughter called Janine!
Bless.
My mums in a home with it. She's more settled now but at her previous home she kept getting out. One December night the police were going to get the helicopter out. She turned up at the police station saying she was being imprisoned against her will.

She asked me today if I was her son and if I had any brothers or sisters. She's 81 and unrecognisable from the woman who was driving until about 8 years ago.

It's horrible, but at least she's safe, warm, fed and brilliantly looked after in the home.

just a update ;) the lass came in the office today with the fare & a tin of roses :lol: ( the lasses on the desk & general public got them ) i got my fare & then got promptly bumped for 9 quid of a f***ing druggie :lol: :lol: , anyway , while i was on the radio to the office i told the desk clerk to tell her that if she was ever strapped for cash & needed to go over just ask for me , she can always pay me later when she gets paid ;)

edit: forgot to mention, she said "what a lovely lad he is ;)

Last edited:
My mums in a home with it. She's more settled now but at her previous home she kept getting out. One December night the police were going to get the helicopter out. She turned up at the police station saying she was being imprisoned against her will.

She asked me today if I was her son and if I had any brothers or sisters. She's 81 and unrecognisable from the woman who was driving until about 8 years ago.

It's horrible, but at least she's safe, warm, fed and brilliantly looked after in the home.
My mam used to introduce me as her husband!

My gran has it. I feel guilty but I can't face going to visit and my dad (her son) hasn't even asked me to accompany him (and my mam) on his last two visits. She lives in Scotland and she doesn't even know my dad's married nevermind who I am. Used to visit Scotland every year and the place holds some of my best memories from my childhood. She became aggressive towards a relative that visits every day about 2 weeks ago as she had no relocation of who this person was. For months my gran was convinced she was working in the care home and repeatedly asked for her pay when we visited.

Horrible disease. One of the worst imo.

My gran has it. I feel guilty but I can't face going to visit and my dad (her son) hasn't even asked me to accompany him (and my mam) on his last two visits. She lives in Scotland and she doesn't even know my dad's married nevermind who I am. Used to visit Scotland every year and the place holds some of my best memories from my childhood. She became aggressive towards a relative that visits every day about 2 weeks ago as she had no relocation of who this person was. For months my gran was convinced she was working in the care home and repeatedly asked for her pay when we visited.

Horrible disease. One of the worst imo.
its a shame mind, i would go though, just to support ya mam/dad

Last edited:
its a shame mind, i would go though

I suspect my dad is attempting to shelter me from the whole experience. Only ever stayed at home once in 22 years when he's visited Scotland (and that was because he was attending a funeral of someone I didn't know) and now I've stayed at home twice in 12 months. I'm in full time employment which doesn't help like. I'll probably visit next summer as much as I can't face it. :neutral:

My daughter just ends up in floods if tears when she sees my Dad. I've told her she mustn't feel she has to come with me any more and just to remember him as he was, her grand dad.
i had a f***ing massive fall out with my sister mate about the same thing , when my lad was riddled with cancer all the family were visiting , she didn't , i couldn't understand why so had a go at her , she said that it would absolutely f***ing crush her seeing him in that condition & that's why she never went , me heed was allover the place at the time like ( obviously ) , but i just thought it was wrong at the time ,dinnar now like , nowt i could do about it anyway tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back