Easter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gift giving was a part of the Pagan festival of Saturnalia which Christmas replaced and is the likely origin of modern gift giving. Long before any idea of mass consumerism.
Ah, you mean the one stolen from the Romans? What do you think the happened when gambling was allowed over this festive period, who do you think profited? Bread and circuses my friend.

Ah, you mean the one stolen from the Romans? What do you think the happened when gambling was allowed over this festive period, who do you think profited? Bread and circuses my friend.

Wasn't really stolen from the Romans was it. When the Roman elite converted to Christianity they merely plonked Christmas at a convenient point in the calendar where there was already a celebration, to 'ease' the conversion of the rest of the population.

What a ridiculous event this is becoming.

Had a woman in today saying she's got her young lad an Xbox One for Easter. What the actual fuck, when I was a bairn I got Easter eggs and Easter eggs only.

I absolutely loved hunting them as well, since when has Easter became such a big "I want this and that" event?!?

i used to get a G.I. Joe Figure some clothes and 1 easter egg from me parents...getting an Xbox one is f***ing rediculous

Taking my nipper over to Poland for Easter, see his Great Grandad for the first time.

Eater is a big deal over there, not a chocolate egg in sight.

Lots of Easter food, painting eggs, water fights on Smigus Dyngus and I assume booze. (it's not like they need an excuse)

Should be canny.

Wasn't really stolen from the Romans was it. When the Roman elite converted to Christianity they merely plonked Christmas at a convenient point in the calendar where there was already a celebration, to 'ease' the conversion of the rest of the population.
Wasn't stolen, more adopted. Like the whole religion, adopted as a means of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back