Energy prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive switched to first utility fixed until march 2016, its meant to be the cheapest on the market, the direct debit has come down from £85 to £65, but thats just their estimate so I'm hoping it covers it.

" where is cameron when you need him "

:lol: the fuckin cushin faced bellnd is probably in a pub somewhere trynig to leave his kid behind or too busy flossing histeeth with a £50 note to worry abuot us and our energy prices
id love to see him burn

You can even get smart meters these days so you don't even have to give meter readings, my dad has one, it's canny and you can see what you're using and how much it's costing you at any given time.

Just switched to Oovo, or whatever they are called, and they have offered me smart meters. I like the sound of them, they canny are they?

Just switched to Oovo, or whatever they are called, and they have offered me smart meters. I like the sound of them, they canny are they?

Aye, they seem canny to me, you can set daily budgets and it'll tell you percentage of budget used that day/week/month etc. It tells you what you're using in pence at any given moment, you can see it reduce by switching stuff off. I'd have one myself if M&S were offering them.

a lad had work has one of them meters and it turned him into a bellend, looking at, switch that light off, that showers costing too much etc etc. Unless your poor just use what you nees

Aye, it would make little/no difference to my usage. I turn lights off already, but then the wife leaves them on, got mostly energy saving LED things though so it's buttons.

They make mistakes though and you have to pay for them, they are notorious for it. Unless its 100s of savings then I'll not bother

They don't make mistakes, at least no more than they would on a prepayment meter, they might estimate your usage wrong, buy you can control that by giving readings each month and paying what you owe.

Aye, they seem canny to me, you can set daily budgets and it'll tell you percentage of budget used that day/week/month etc. It tells you what you're using in pence at any given moment, you can see it reduce by switching stuff off. I'd have one myself if M&S were offering them.

Thats what I thought. Sounds good. Just need to get the bairn to stop using her straighteners as much now. I’d save a fortune if she had short hair I reckon.

Thats what I thought. Sounds good. Just need to get the bairn to stop using her straighteners as much now. I’d save a fortune if she had short hair I reckon.

It'll give you a heart attack when you see the cost jump up when they're using something like that. It's like when you turn the oven on at my mam's, it'll be total use 100 watts, then all of a sudden it'll jump to 2100w.

I've gone through Ebico, it made sense :D

you sure or is this a whoosh? They seem expensive and over a year they are £390 (28%) more expensive than my current supplier Spark! I use Spark as they have cheap unit costs due to paying a standing charge. As I'm a number freak, I've worked out the units per day I'd need to use to justify the standing charge. Seeing as it's winter and I'll be using more gas/electricity then it's a no-brainer to be on a standing charge plan with cheap unit costs during the winter months :cool:.

My electricity is 5p cheaper a unit at Spark compared to Ebico so any daily usage over 4kWh I then save 5p per unit. Basically I pay 25-30% less for my electricity after that ;). As I use about 10 units a day on average over the year (it's a higher average during the winter months) then you can see how much cheaper the tariff is.

My gas is 11 units a day before the price drops by 33% per unit in comparison to Ebico. Seeing as I average way more than 11 units a day (I think it's 50ish) then I'd be daft not to be on this plan. IIRC 11 units for me is about an hour of the heating being on. Judging from my past meter readings, I reckon I will use 75% of my annual gas usage over the coming months as the heating isn't even on during the warmer months.

Many people make the mistake of staying with the same provider throughout the year as they base their estimate comparison on the yearly bill. So someone switching now might think they will be saving over the year and that's correct they will. Problem being is that over the 6 cold/darker months they could be paying a lot more as the plan they are on benefits times of low usage due to higher units costs.

The simple solution it to switch to a standing charge with low unit cost plan during darker/colder months so you know will save money for sure. Plus you can rest in the fact that you can 'afford' to use more energy seeing as your overall bill will be the same as someone paying 20-30% higher unit charge :cool:. Then jump onto a lower usage plan without standing charge during the warmer lighter months. Plus when you change supplier, use the comparison websites but use Quidco etc to sign up so you get cashback anarl. There's normally no charge unless you tie yourself up plus it's simpler to move now than it was years ago.

Below is a pic of a comparison over the year for Spark to Ebico based on my yearly usage. Bearing in mind that 75% of my usage will probably be during the 6 winter months then you can see that Ebico will be about £250 more over those 6 months or £40 a month!

Long post I know but maybe it helps someone realise that the so called savings they have been told they will make over the year take exactly that, a year!

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm working it out right, I think I only used about 12,000kWhs last year in gas. My direct debit is about £110 I think, or might be £105. I blindly stuck with M&S (not like me at all but had shit going on at the time) and I'm tied in for another year, but it's only a £25 exit fee.

I might have to enter actuals into uswitch.

Actualy, looks like I was out

Fix & Save Sep 14
Useage September-September 14741.82 Cost : £716.46

Last edited:
And for leccy I'm on

Fix & Save Sep 14 Units : 3334.47 Cost : £514.71

I'm being robbed like aren't I? I used to be well on the ball with this shit too.

Then on the summary it says:

We've estimated that over the last year you
would have used 3,252.47 kWh electricity and your total
cost would have been £443.86.

We've estimated that over the last year you
would have used 13,878.43 kWh gas and your total
cost would have been £580.01.

Hadn't been with them a full year at that point though.

M&S Energy Fixed Price Sep 15
Unit rate: 11.690p per kWh
Standing charge: £80.03/yr
Unit rate: 3.800p per kWh
Standing charge: £80.03/yr

Our cheapest similar tariff
Good news – you’re already on our cheapest fixed tariff.We'll let
you know at least once a year if this changes.
Our cheapest overall tariff
Good news – you’re already on our cheapest overall tariff. We'll let
you know at least once a year if this changes.
Please note that switching tariffs may involve changing to different
terms and conditions, so always check first.

Uswitch say :

You currently spend £1,120.97 a year. Due to your plan ending in the coming months, your personal projection for the year ahead is £1,131.25

I guess that's after all the DD discounts etc.

Last edited:
Theyre not particularly cheap, mind. I've just switched to Scottish Power and having just done a quick comparison they're approx £300 cheaper for the year!
they are middle men really - I'm actually through SSE and the fact I have NO standing charges on my gas and electric makes a difference, truly paying for what I use even if the unit price is slightly higher ;)

How many beers does it buy?

If I switched I'd save £160 per year, but it would cost me £50 to get out of my current deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back