Films that were hugely overlooked/underrated on release

1st up: Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. In a way not totally surprising that this took time to get the reputation it deserved - I didn't like it on first watch but it kind of wormed its way into my consciousness until I watched it again and loved it.

It's IMHO Hitchcock's best film and one of the best films of all time. And yet, mixed to negative reviews when it was released and underperformed at the box office.

Almost completely ignored at awards time. Got a couple of technical nominations but not even nominated for best film, director, actor for James Stewart who has never been better, screenplay, cinematography or music (Jesus, how could they not?).

It was at least 20 years before it was re-evaluated and people saw sense.

1st up: Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. In a way not totally surprising that this took time to get the reputation it deserved - I didn't like it on first watch but it kind of wormed its way into my consciousness until I watched it again and loved it.

It's IMHO Hitchcock's best film and one of the best films of all time. And yet, mixed to negative reviews when it was released and underperformed at the box office.

Almost completely ignored at awards time. Got a couple of technical nominations but not even nominated for best film, director, actor for James Stewart who has never been better, screenplay, cinematography or music (Jesus, how could they not?).

Hitchcock's Psycho was rubbished before its release on account that it was deemed to be a horror film and therefore not worthy of serious discussion. How fashion's change but in this case I don't think it took 20yrs for the critics come around.

A stone-cold classic and, from an outstanding body of work, his best film probably by some way

Hitchcock's Psycho was rubbished before its release on account that it was deemed to be a horror film and therefore not worthy of serious discussion. How fashion's change but in this case I don't think it took 20yrs for the critics come around.
Huge promotion push for it though. The film that made people go to the cinema at the start of a film and not just popping in when they fancied, as they locked the doors once it started.

Back