Films that were hugely overlooked/underrated on release

Heaven's Gate
Was regarded as one of the biggest ever box office disasters when it was released, and got uniformly terrible reviews. Has since been recut and the visuals have been restored as intended. Now acclaimed as one of the greatest Westerns ever made.
(FWIW, I think it's still about 30 minutes too long, but some of the scenes are among the most incredible ever captured on screen.)

Heaven's Gate
Was regarded as one of the biggest ever box office disasters when it was released, and got uniformly terrible reviews. Has since been recut and the visuals have been restored as intended. Now acclaimed as one of the greatest Westerns ever made.
(FWIW, I think it's still about 30 minutes too long, but some of the scenes are among the most incredible ever captured on screen.)

Michael Cimino can fuck off

Heaven's Gate

Who is calling it "one of the greatest Westerns ever made"?

The Thing in 1982, was panned as a bag of shit yet easily stands up as one of the best Sci-Fi horrors ever.

Also released the same weekend as Blade Runner which was also a bit of a flop.

Both blamed E.T coming out a couple of weeks earlier.

Who is calling it "one of the greatest Westerns ever made"?

"Beautifully restored on DVD and Blu-ray, Heaven's Gate is one of the finest westerns ever made."

It's also in the Criterion Collection.

"Beautifully restored on DVD and Blu-ray, Heaven's Gate is one of the finest westerns ever made."

It's also in the Criterion Collection.
The Guardian 🤮

Back