Fruit Flies

Has anyone on here ever effectively got rid of them?

I'm being driven mad. We've had a few flying around for a while. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. They still come back. Today I got an easy to use trap from Amazon. Basically open lid, shake, dry yellow funnel, done.

Oh no though! Not my fruit flies as they are super clever. First I opened lid but left it next to the trap. Went and had a bath, came back and the fuckers were on the bastard rim of the lid. Not in the trap!!

Binned the lid. Went away again, came back and one was just trotting around the funnel.

Fuming. Pisstakers.

We’ve had them for weeks and could I fuck figure out where they were coming from, until a video randomly popped up on Instagram earlier which said it was “gnat season” and to pour boiling water down your plug holes as that’s where they lay their eggs. I removed a metal plug thing from the side of the sink which we literally never use, up flew about a dozen of the bastards! So I’ve poured a bottle of bleach down each side of the sink and boiled the kettle about a dozen times to make sure they’re all gone!

We’ve had them for weeks and could I fuck figure out where they were coming from, until a video randomly popped up on Instagram earlier which said it was “gnat season” and to pour boiling water down your plug holes as that’s where they lay their eggs. I removed a metal plug thing from the side of the sink which we literally never use, up flew about a dozen of the bastards! So I’ve poured a bottle of bleach down each side of the sink and boiled the kettle about a dozen times to make sure they’re all gone!
Omg!!! And since you have done this, have you seen any?

Will Google "Gnat Season" now....
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Apart from that I'm no help, sorry Reindeer.
That's ok, thanks anyway 😂

Last edited:
Omg!!! And since you have done this, have you seen any?

Will Google "Gnat Season" now....

That's ok, thanks anyway 😂
Not seen any since dinner time, there was some larvae type things that came back up the plug hole before going back down as well. So I am 110% certain that was the root cause of the problem.

Put some banana in a bowl n put cling film ower the top. Then pierce about 6 small holes in it.
Just roll the bowl around n the banana will squash them 👌🏼
I tried this earlier in the week but with cider vinegar and washing up liquid. The fuckers didn't go through the holes, just sat around on top of them then flew away! 🙈 Worth a try with a banana though. Thanks. 😊
Not seen any since dinner time, there was some larvae type things that came back up the plug hole before going back down as well. So I am 110% certain that was the root cause of the problem.
Ewwww 😭😭 God they are awful aren't they. Reet, I'm off to boil the kettle! 😂

Last edited:
Interesting
Might give that a try next time

I'm being driven mad. We've had a few flying around for a while. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. They still come back. Today I got an easy to use trap from Amazon. Basically open lid, shake, dry yellow funnel, done.

Oh no though! Not my fruit flies as they are super clever. First I opened lid but left it next to the trap. Went and had a bath, came back and the fuckers were on the bastard rim of the lid. Not in the trap!!

Binned the lid. Went away again, came back and one was just trotting around the funnel.

Fuming. Pisstakers.

Had loads last year, got the same ninja things as them and they worked eventually, but we had the same problem. iirc some the substance come out on the funnel and the files just eat the shite off the top of the funnel. I think we cleaned the top of funnel with the cloth and little buggers starting going in afterwards.

Fuming. Pisstakers.

Best tip is any food you hoying out put somewhere airtight. Shopping bag tied at the top... Tupperware..summut like that then transport to outside bin asap.

Once youve got past a reproduction cycle you should be free. Just dinnit give them anywhere to lay eggs

Best of luck x

Remember those sticky spiral traps people had hanging from their ceilings years ago, well they still work and rentokil do the best ones. Hang it next to where the flies are and as soon as one gets trapped the rest see it and think it's safe so they join in the mass suicide.

Back