Fruit Flies

I find wrapping some double sided tape around some cardboard and swiping at them catches quite a lot. Weirdly satisfying too.

Does that actually work on fruit flies? They're tiny. Satisfying on big flies all the same.
It definitely does! If you just put it over the ones that have landed it makes them take off and... zzzt! If they are flying you can practise your tennis strokes, with the sense of satisfaction you mention.
The 'bat' has a mesh which lets the air through, rather than your sticky cardboard job which pushes air and tends to blow the little bassas away before contact.
We have a little compost caddy by the sink for peelings, apple cores, teabags etc, and it attracts fruit flies. I have cleared the kitchen in a minute with this bad boy. Works on blue-arse flies and wasps, and it zapped a hornet in my shed a couple of weeks ago.
Watch out though. If you put your fingers on the mesh and press the button it will give you a jolt!

Has anyone on here ever effectively got rid of them?

I'm being driven mad. We've had a few flying around for a while. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. They still come back. Today I got an easy to use trap from Amazon. Basically open lid, shake, dry yellow funnel, done.

Oh no though! Not my fruit flies as they are super clever. First I opened lid but left it next to the trap. Went and had a bath, came back and the fuckers were on the bastard rim of the lid. Not in the trap!!

Binned the lid. Went away again, came back and one was just trotting around the funnel.

Fuming. Pisstakers.

What we do is cut a 2 litre bottle of cola/fanta/lemonade in half and put in beer, egg and apple vinegar, then cover the top in cling film and then poke little holes in for them to get in, they don't get back out.

It definitely does! If you just put it over the ones that have landed it makes them take off and... zzzt! If they are flying you can practise your tennis strokes, with the sense of satisfaction you mention.
The 'bat' has a mesh which lets the air through, rather than your sticky cardboard job which pushes air and tends to blow the little bassas away before contact.
We have a little compost caddy by the sink for peelings, apple cores, teabags etc, and it attracts fruit flies. I have cleared the kitchen in a minute with this bad boy. Works on blue-arse flies and wasps, and it zapped a hornet in my shed a couple of weeks ago.
Watch out though. If you put your fingers on the mesh and press the button it will give you a jolt!
Mesh is cheating :lol: I will get one next spring for big flies. The card works fine, just use Lindt packet size. Excellent for landed ones.

I can happily report ours have finally gone 😁
I had them in the summer and they kept coming back. I used the apple cider vinegar in a bowl with washing up liquid and pierced cling film, raid spray, boiling water and bleach down the plug hole but then put the plug in all the time then wait for it, good old fashioned flynpapers 😀

I had them in the summer and they kept coming back. I used the apple cider vinegar in a bowl with washing up liquid and pierced cling film, raid spray, boiling water and bleach down the plug hole but then put the plug in all the time then wait for it, good old fashioned flynpapers 😀
They're bloody pests aren't they. Had my head battered for weeks!

Back