Going to my first game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think u dan gisit the academy of light. Send the club an email n ask. The old stadium at roker park is all houses now. If you go for a walk along the sea front at whitburn there's a row of houses called the fishermzns cottages and a house has some old seats from the old roker park stadiumbin theirback garden you can see on the coastal walk lol

Haha, just what they want, some American sitting in their garden taking a picture in the Roker Park seats :)

AoL is not open to visitors .
Agree with all above and would also recomend a visit to Mowbray Park and Winter Gardens / Museum for local history .
Beamish is a must do if you've never visited before , Durham City too.
Avoid the 'toon' and Alnwick not worth the effort if you only have a few days

Thanks mate. Whats at Mowbray Park? Whats the downside to Alnwick?

AoL is not open to visitors .
Agree with all above and would also recomend a visit to Mowbray Park and Winter Gardens / Museum for local history .
Beamish is a must do if you've never visited before , Durham City too.
Avoid the 'toon' and Alnwick not worth the effort if you only have a few days

The museum is a good shout actually. Been so many times that it is boring to me but will be good for a first visit.

Haha, just what they want, some American sitting in their garden taking a picture in the Roker Park seats :)

Thanks mate. Whats at Mowbray Park? Whats the downside to Alnwick?

Mowbray park is a parl in the city centre. A;nwick is nice but it is about an hours drive away. If you are time limited thenyou are pushing it to see all the best things.

What is the Sunderland connection mate?

Ahh the big question. They say you don't choose teams - they choose you, and this case is no different. As the 2010 WC approached I was a typical American, only watched american football, baseball and basketball. I had heard of Man United but honestly didn't even know about the Premier League. My brother (a Nott. Forest fan) convinced me to watch the WC and after hearing about where Tim Howard and Landon Donovan played I decided to wiki search the English Premier League. As I read the list of squads in the league I saw the name Sunderland jump off the page as at the time I was living in Sunderland, Vermont in the US. Sunderland is not a common city name in the states so this was quite amazing.

I furthered my search and started reading about the club, they shared a similar story to my beloved Boston Red Sox - an old club who were once the greatest club in all the land. After a long spell of dark times they had returned to the top flight ready to march forward into the top 10. I got to know the players, Benty was at this peak with the club. The games were online and I watched the first game, a well played draw vs City and I was intrigued. A few weeks later I watched Benty win and convert the penalty to beat Man City and I was hooked. I haven't missed a game since :)

The online community has been amazing, in particular Matty Wilson and for a time the lads on the Sunderland World board and the SMB. It sounds cheeky but coming to Sunderland to see a game is something I've been looking forward to since 2010 and I couldn't be more excited.

The museum is a good shout actually. Been so many times that it is boring to me but will be good for a first visit.

Mowbray park is a parl in the city centre. A;nwick is nice but it is about an hours drive away. If you are time limited thenyou are pushing it to see all the best things.

Great, good to know. Looks like there are a few castles up north, might have to make a day of it, should have 3-4 days in the northeast.

Thank you to everyone who has posted tonight, another reason why I can't wait to join you all at the SoL and cheer the lads on, fantastic lot of you, I thank my lucky stars I didn't start supporting the horse punchers :)

Last edited:
As already said, Penshaw, if for nothing else to get a photo of you and the family by the monument that shares part of the club crest. Dunno if High Force has been mentioned, but I always enjoyed going there as a young un, don't know if I'd be as enthusiastic about it now, but maybe other locals could tell you more. I think you night have to pay to see it (it's a small waterfall) but when I was a kid it was free.
You also need to get s saveloy dip from Ibbotsons butchers (if they are still around).....food of the gods. Alnwick is lovely, well worth a visit. A few have already said Durham Cathederal. If you ask about on here, I reckon a few will be able to tell you the best place to eat in Durham as well....;)
And if you drive through Carrville to get to Durham, pop past 7 Romney Drive and get a photo for me. I spent many a happy time growing up in that house!!

And lastly.....drive on the left!!

As already said, Penshaw, if for nothing else to get a photo of you and the family by the monument that shares part of the club crest. Dunno if High Force has been mentioned, but I always enjoyed going there as a young un, don't know if I'd be as enthusiastic about it now, but maybe other locals could tell you more. I think you night have to pay to see it (it's a small waterfall) but when I was a kid it was free.
You also need to get s saveloy dip from Ibbotsons butchers (if they are still around).....food of the gods. Alnwick is lovely, well worth a visit. A few have already said Durham Cathederal. If you ask about on here, I reckon a few will be able to tell you the best place to eat in Durham as well....;)
And if you drive through Carrville to get to Durham, pop past 7 Romney Drive and get a photo for me. I spent many a happy time growing up in that house!!

And lastly.....drive on the left!!

Haha drive on the left - check! I'll see what I can do about the photo ;) great ideas all around, my lass would love the waterfall.

Ooh and good idea mate - Best places to eat in Durham/Sunderland - what say you lads?

See you in September - Enjoy your visit :)

Sure you'll get loads more replies tomorrow when SMB wakes up

Ahh the big question. They say you don't choose teams - they choose you, and this case is no different. As the 2010 WC approached I was a typical American, only watched american football, baseball and basketball. I had heard of Man United but honestly didn't even know about the Premier League. My brother (a Nott. Forest fan) convinced me to watch the WC and after hearing about where Tim Howard and Landon Donovan played I decided to wiki search the English Premier League. As I read the list of squads in the league I saw the name Sunderland jump off the page as at the time I was living in Sunderland, Vermont in the US. Sunderland is not a common city name in the states so this was quite amazing.

I furthered my search and started reading about the club, they shared a similar story to my beloved Boston Red Sox - an old club who were once the greatest club in all the land. After a long spell of dark times they had returned to the top flight ready to march forward into the top 10. I got to know the players, Benty was at this peak with the club. The games were online and I watched the first game, a well played draw vs City and I was intrigued. A few weeks later I watched Benty win and convert the penalty to beat Man City and I was hooked. I haven't missed a game since :)

The online community has been amazing, in particular Matty Wilson and for a time the lads on the Sunderland World board and the SMB. It sounds cheeky but coming to Sunderland to see a game is something I've been looking forward to since 2010 and I couldn't be more excited.

Great, good to know. Looks like there are a few castles up north, might have to make a day of it, should have 3-4 days in the northeast.

Thank you to everyone who has posted tonight, another reason why I can't wait to join you all at the SoL and cheer the lads on, fantastic lot of you, I thank my lucky stars I didn't start supporting the horse punchers :)

That is class mate. Enjoy it and I hope we get 3 points for you while we are here.

Depending on work/childcare it would be great to meet for a quick beer.

What is the Sunderland connection mate?
I always wonder why people on here ask this, other UK clubs have fans all over the world with no questions asked yet a non mackem dares to post on here and nearly get their legs chewed off ;) by people wanting to know how they dare support the club when they don't have 3 generations of red and white blood in their veins, coal dust in their lungs and a replica Vaux horse and dray. You're a possessive lot! :)

Lindisfarne.

Last edited:
Haha drive on the left - check! I'll see what I can do about the photo ;) great ideas all around, my lass would love the waterfall.

Ooh and good idea mate - Best places to eat in Durham/Sunderland - what say you lads?

Bear in mind that when people talk about distances it is a different mind set. An hour's drive is a long way in England. Not a work commute.

bamburgh castle is a beautiful place if you fancy a drive out, and york straight through on the train is a lovely place. FULL of history. have a trot down the shambles, and the minister is well worth a visit. I took some American friends there about a month ago, and all the kept saying was......... WOW ! :lol:

As a pre-Jozy American fan I am thrilled to have finally scheduled my flight and heading to England from America to see my first match in person at the SoL vs the Swans.

Any recommendations on the best place to stay in or around Sunderland? I'll have my Mrs and bairn with me as well.

We'll spend a few days in London and a few days in the northeast, what else should we do while in Sunderland?!

Cannit wait to cheer the lads on!
Welcome mate , your interest and devotion to the lads and the area does you ( and us ) proud
Given that you are bringing the wife and kids I would suggest you spread your net well outside the mainly industrial wear side .
Beamish and Durham are good shouts but I would also probably venture into rural weardale , north Yorkshire and dales and would definitely get into York .
All the above are only about an hour away and you could take them all in on one day tour at a push or very easily if you stay overnight in York , which is advisable in its self .
Enjoy marra

York's a good shout. You can get the train direct from Sunderland with Grand Central if you dinnit fancy driving. Smallish place and easy to get around.

Avoid Durham, apart from the cathedral there's nowt there. All the six-fingered gurners from the surrounding pit villages let the place down anarl like.

@SunderlandUSA Stay at the Www.seatonlaneinn.com.

It's great for both Sunderland and Durham. Great food and lovely rooms at a great price. Proper 'pub' too. I live only a minutes walk. I would be pleased to have a pint with you and give you folks help if needed.

I have actually been to Sunderland in Vermont. Couldn't believe it when I saw it on the road sign!!
Canny shout Seaton but also consider the Roker Hotel (is it still a Best Western?), a lot cheaper than the Marriott and virtually the same view but with a proper pub attached, if you're planning a day in Northumberland apart from Alnwick, do Bambrugh castle, Warkworth castle and Seahouses, and as mentioned Holy Island but check the first tide times first ffs! Hope you have a great time and all the memories you take away are good ones, and hopefully three points anarl!

I moved away yonks ago and live in Gloucester (UK) ;) I took my lass up to Sunderland for the first time, coinciding with a match of course.

Although we stayed at my parents, the rest is what I did. Went early Saturday morning to Roker and had a fried breakfast in the cafe on the corner overlooking the piers, it was bright and sunny (April 2011). I drove further along and parked up in Stanhope Drive and we walked down the Cat and Dog Steps and sat in the sun sheltered from the wind and just enjoyed the ambiance of the seaside. I drove inland past the old Roker park (housing estate)the streets aptly named Midfield, Clockstand and Promotion and the back towards the Marriot, along Seaburn, Whitburn and back up through Cleadon.

We then headed over to Penshaw (obligatory pic) and then back to my parents (Moorside), then drove into town, dropped the car near park lane and then went for a pre match drink in Chaplins, then walked to The Match.......The Stadium!...we lost! (1-0 against Fulham) It was the first time I heard "Don't worry"!

Met my parents in Lucianos after the match for a lovely Italian meal, then back to theirs for more wine and chat.

Sunday the weather was lovely again so we just went down Roker again, the cliffs sheltering from the wind, the cafe was open on the Cat and Dog steps...bonus! Back to my parents for Sunday Dinner (lunch). Drove to Durham and looked around the Cathedral and City.

Monday drove to High Force (pic!) and then across to the Lakes around Ulswater over the pass to Windermere and then back down the M6/M5.

Hope this helps, have a class time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back