Going to my first game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old is the bairn? Relevant for what to do.
Are you taking bairn & wife to the match? I'm sure either way some people on here would meet up with you on match day.
If you are religious then St Peter's church is worth an hour - about a mile from the SOL. Lindesfarne already mentioned (we invented Christianity you know).
Glass centre worth an hour or 2 - the bairn can have a go at glass blowing.
Washington old hall is only about 8 miles away (we invented the fella who invented the USA you know).
Beamish, Mowbray Park, Museum good shout.
If you go to Alnwick Castle, visit the Gardens also.
If you have time jump on a train North to Edinburgh. Beautiful city, about 90 mins by train. Need a full day for that. Alternatively York in the other direction.
Most importantly - enjoy the match.

As a pre-Jozy American fan I am thrilled to have finally scheduled my flight and heading to England from America to see my first match in person at the SoL vs the Swans.

Any recommendations on the best place to stay in or around Sunderland? I'll have my Mrs and bairn with me as well.

We'll spend a few days in London and a few days in the northeast, what else should we do while in Sunderland?!

Cannit wait to cheer the lads on!

There are apartments attached to the Roker Hotel can book through laterooms that are nice 2 bed apartments in very good location and usually reasonable enough 80quid a night for the three of you. Have done a lot in the area when over. Durham is a must anyway, love marsden as well the beach there is class and if you get a great day nice having a pint in the pub on the beach, if your a bit nerdy the aircraft mueseum is quality just out of town. bit further afield Alnwick Castle is brilliant day out lovely little village and lots to do even for the bairn in the castle. Beamish is also another must great place and can put in a day there no problem.

Museums and galleries in London are free (in the main), if you're only gonna be there a few days and want to do one, the British museum is highly recommended...

Do a Google search on it and look at the pics. Its the Daddy.

8 million artefacts in their collection.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

York's a good shout. You can get the train direct from Sunderland with Grand Central if you dinnit fancy driving. Smallish place and easy to get around.

Avoid Durham, apart from the cathedral there's nowt there. All the six-fingered gurners from the surrounding pit villages let the place down anarl like.

Nowt wrong with York, but one of the world's most impressive buildings is right on our doorstep and you're suggesting that an American visitor avoids Durham?

Have you suffered a recent blow to the head?

Otherwise there's some great advice on this thread.

Particularly Flav's.

Stopping, eating and drinking with Gizmoganzee's Ma and Da is the best suggestion yet - certainly the cheapest. I hope he's let them know.

As a pre-Jozy American fan I am thrilled to have finally scheduled my flight and heading to England from America to see my first match in person at the SoL vs the Swans.

Any recommendations on the best place to stay in or around Sunderland? I'll have my Mrs and bairn with me as well.

We'll spend a few days in London and a few days in the northeast, what else should we do while in Sunderland?!

Brilliant stuff, I'd go with the current recommendations - Beamish, Seaburn (sea front), Penshaw Monument for a pic, Durham (Cathedral is beautiful) and no doubt others will add ideas to your itinerary ;)
I'm sure a few of the posters would be happy to meet up and give you a warm North East welcome, you'll all have a fabulous time over here I'm sure - so excited for you all, gerrin ! :cool:

Ahh the big question. They say you don't choose teams - they choose you, and this case is no different. As the 2010 WC approached I was a typical American, only watched american football, baseball and basketball. I had heard of Man United but honestly didn't even know about the Premier League. My brother (a Nott. Forest fan) convinced me to watch the WC and after hearing about where Tim Howard and Landon Donovan played I decided to wiki search the English Premier League. As I read the list of squads in the league I saw the name Sunderland jump off the page as at the time I was living in Sunderland, Vermont in the US. Sunderland is not a common city name in the states so this was quite amazing.

I furthered my search and started reading about the club, they shared a similar story to my beloved Boston Red Sox - an old club who were once the greatest club in all the land. After a long spell of dark times they had returned to the top flight ready to march forward into the top 10. I got to know the players, Benty was at this peak with the club. The games were online and I watched the first game, a well played draw vs City and I was intrigued. A few weeks later I watched Benty win and convert the penalty to beat Man City and I was hooked. I haven't missed a game since :)

The online community has been amazing, in particular Matty Wilson and for a time the lads on the Sunderland World board and the SMB. It sounds cheeky but coming to Sunderland to see a game is something I've been looking forward to since 2010 and I couldn't be more excited.

Great, good to know. Looks like there are a few castles up north, might have to make a day of it, should have 3-4 days in the northeast.

Thank you to everyone who has posted tonight, another reason why I can't wait to join you all at the SoL and cheer the lads on, fantastic lot of you, I thank my lucky stars I didn't start supporting the horse punchers :)
Who read all of that in an American accent?

Although in Newcastle the quayside is canny with the various bridges etc

If not up as far as Bamburgh (which is excellent - even a visit to the Farne Islands is canny) then Druridge Bay is nice.

If you want to be blown and cold Hadrian's Wall can be a canny walk

Washington old town to see where it all started for you lot ;).

Seriously food
d'aqua
liberty browns
Fitzgeralds for curry and chips

Sure there's many more (see Smb where to eat blah blah blah shyte).

If you get chance go to the imperial war museum in London

Washington old town to see where it all started for you lot ;).

Seriously food
d'aqua
liberty browns
Fitzgeralds for curry and chips

Sure there's many more (see Smb where to eat blah blah blah shyte).

If you get chance go to the imperial war museum in London

don't bother with the Imperial War Museum as it is being renovated at the moment.

out of museums I'd suggest
British
Science
Natural History
Design
V&A
Tate Modern

Another option would be to stay in Durham itself. The Raddison is lovely, and if you are on a budget there is a more than adequate Premier Inn just over the river.

Durham is beautiful and ideally located to get to either Newcastle or Sunderland via a short train journey, or by car if you hire one.

wrap up well, its freezing at the moment!

bamburgh castle is a beautiful place if you fancy a drive out, and york straight through on the train is a lovely place. FULL of history. have a trot down the shambles, and the minister is well worth a visit. I took some American friends there about a month ago, and all the kept saying was......... WOW ! :lol:

This all the way- An hours drive to Alnwick, bamburgh etc to get bored after an hour? nah visit Englands finest city- why go to beamish when you can be steeped in real history?

York's a good shout. You can get the train direct from Sunderland with Grand Central if you dinnit fancy driving. Smallish place and easy to get around.

Avoid Durham, apart from the cathedral there's nowt there. All the six-fingered gurners from the surrounding pit villages let the place down anarl like.

Yup, seconded

Haha drive on the left - check! I'll see what I can do about the photo ;) great ideas all around, my lass would love the waterfall.

Ooh and good idea mate - Best places to eat in Durham/Sunderland - what say you lads?

:lol: Gerrin!

Anyway, as people have said, the world heritage site of Durham Cathedral and Castle is a must see. Also the Durham Light Infantry museum.

Sunderland: Mowbray Park and Winter Gardens, not sure what exhibitions will be on at the museum but that could be worth a look. Anyone know if they still have the LS Lowry paintings of the shipyards? A pint at The Museum Vaults Public House. Penshaw Monument.

Newcastle: The centre is actually pleasant to look at (minus the people) but unless you want to go shopping/get drunk I struggle to see what else it offers.

don't bother with the Imperial War Museum as it is being renovated at the moment.

out of museums I'd suggest
British
Science
Natural History
Design
V&A
Tate Modern

These in Londres.

Also The Hunterian at the Royal College of Surgeons for something a bit off the beaten track and downright weird :lol:

Cheers all, staying by the sea sounds canny but I'll definitely visit Durham. I've always lived in blue collar towns in America so I imagine feeling right at home in Sunderland. Dare a venture to visit Newcastle? What about Alnwick Castle?
Go to hylton castle instead.
There's nowt much there though, just do a drive by instead. Take a trip to the top of Penshaw monument, you can book via English heritage site. Roker hotel is nice too, just along the seafront from the marriot. Plus if you stay there your just a few min walk from where Roker park was.
Depends what type of food your after but there's plenty of places around the sea front and in town on a match day. I'd recommend going to a proper pub for your Sunday dinner, take a drive into the sticks and there's loads of good uns.

In London, and all free :-

The Science Museum, The Natural History Museum (next door to each other), and The Imperial War Museum are absolute must visits. Harrods and Hamleys are worth a look if you like shopping.

Just outside London but plenty of buses, The Harry Potter studio tour is fantastic for non Potter fans and fans alike.

In and around Sunderland :-

Durham is a must, especially the cathedral. Beamish is highly recommended, and don't forget our very own Museum and winter gardens which you could do pre-match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back