Guardian Readers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian is alright imo. Brilliant football coverage, good news coverage. Opinion pieces are hit and miss, I only read the ones from people I like. Usually the funny ones; Charlie Brooker, Eva Wiseman, Stewart Lee, David Mitchell etc. Tend to avoid the "this is what you must think" stuff.

It's editorial line isn't nearly as pervasive as people might think. It can het a bit hectoring on specific topics (Leveson, stuff relating to the Met, Iraq etc.) but generally it's very balanced when compared to the likes of The Mail and Telegraph. Most of the editorial line lives within Comment is Free.

Seems daft limiting yourself to a single publication these days, but it's the first site I visit (after Twitter) when there's a major event unfolding, or if I want to read up on summat.
thankfully I have an aggregator in Bloomberg. News is headlines, everything else is either opinion pieces or biased so I try to filter as much as I can.

What paper should everyone read?

None. They're all full of opinion, lies and yesterdays news.

It beats me why anyone with a TV, radio, PC, tablet or smartphone reads them. The news is all over the electronic media in great detail the day before it's in the press. You're just effectively reading what the journos think, not gleaning any new information. If I want to know what some nonentity thinks about a news item, I can read some attention-seeking prat's blog.

As will everything, because we'll all be dead, because of the gays or something, if I follow your argument. It's quite a good one though

Why did the Dinosaurs die out? Gay Dinosuars

Why did the Mayan civilization collapse? Gay Mayans

:rolleyes: You're oversimplifying things.

His point was actually that dinosaurs died out because straight dinosaurs were nice to gay dinosaurs.

Bet you feel foolish now.

:lol::lol: why the fuck would any men champion that 'cause?' It's just a load of Plutocratic nonsense from a bunch of lunatics with daddy issues. Normal well-adjusted women couldn't give a fuck.

Why would men want women to be treated fairly?

Dunno mate - they must be benders or summat.

What paper do you read?

It beats me why anyone with a TV, radio, PC, tablet or smartphone reads them. The news is all over the electronic media in great detail the day before it's in the press. You're just effectively reading what the journos think, not gleaning any new information. If I want to know what some nonentity thinks about a news item, I can read some attention-seeking prat's blog.

But that's just it. If you want to know more than the surface fluff on a specific topic, blogs and social are just the half baked thoughts of a bellend hive mind. Good newspapers have good writers with good research.

I read The Guardian on the internet, it's just a part of how I get the news. Primary source is Twitter, and a handful of people on there at that.

The only time I buy the Guardian is on Saturdays for the telly pages and the magazine so I can do the crossword, and feel aspirational looking at the fashion shoots for £1600 sweaters. I read it online during the week.

:lol::lol: why the fuck would any men champion that 'cause?' It's just a load of Plutocratic nonsense from a bunch of lunatics with daddy issues. Normal well-adjusted women couldn't give a fuck.

Why would a bloke be so insecure as to be against equality of sexes? Normal, well adjusted males wouldn't give a fuck

:rolleyes: You're oversimplifying things.

His point was actually that dinosaurs died out because straight dinosaurs were nice to gay dinosaurs.

Bet you feel foolish now.

Why would men want women to be treated fairly?

Dunno mate - they must be benders or summat.

What paper do you read?
They are treated fairly, man. The feminism 'movement' is bullshit, they are just obsessed with denigrating men, and getting annoyed at any perceived sexism. All of the successful and well-adjusted women I know couldn't give a shit about any of this, because they aren't crazy people.

I disagree. We're only thirty or forty years on from women getting equal pay for the same work, man. I know women are fairly equal now, but there are a lot of women who'd say that they don't have fully equal rights, or that they aren't treat the same. There'll be people at work, in their late 50s and early 60s who started work before women had equal rights in the workplace, and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were in management and do not enjoy that women should have an equal say to them, because they were brought up with a very different idea of what men and women were supposed to be like, than we currently see as the norm today.

Maybe well-adjusted women don't care, but you could very easily argue that those who are well-adjusted don't care because they've simply adjusted to the inequality and accepted it, whereas those who have not accepted it, don't come across as well-adjusted.

They are treated fairly, man. The feminism 'movement' is bullshit, they are just obsessed with denigrating men, and getting annoyed at any perceived sexism. All of the successful and well-adjusted women I know couldn't give a shit about any of this, because they aren't crazy people.

No. You're right. Nobody needs feminism any more. Unwanted attention, slut shaming and victim blaming is all fine and dandy. Feminism is obsolete.

I disagree. We're only thirty or forty years on from women getting equal pay for the same work, man. I know women are fairly equal now, but there are a lot of women who'd say that they don't have fully equal rights, or that they aren't treat the same. There'll be people at work, in their late 50s and early 60s who started work before women had equal rights in the workplace, and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were in management and do not enjoy that women should have an equal say to them, because they were brought up with a very different idea of what men and women were supposed to be like, than we currently see as the norm today.

Maybe well-adjusted women don't care, but you could very easily argue that those who are well-adjusted don't care because they've simply adjusted to the inequality and accepted it, whereas those who have not accepted it, don't come across as well-adjusted.

I think that's exactly what he means. He describes 'well-adjusted' as well-adjusted to a male dominated agenda.

No. You're right. Nobody needs feminism any more. Unwanted attention, slut shaming and victim blaming is all fine and dandy. Feminism is obsolete.

I think that's exactly what he means. He describes 'well-adjusted' as well-adjusted to a male dominated agenda.

You're wasted as a scientist my son, my very feminist, gay-rights lecturer would love you.

Where are the examples of women who don't have fully equal rights? I work with some very intelligent, dedicated women who are inferior to no-one, academically or professionally, if you met these people, to simply say they've just 'adapted' to a male-orientated world or whatever is disrespectful to them and ridiculous in the extreme.

Where are the examples of women who don't have fully equal rights? I work with some very intelligent, dedicated women who are inferior to no-one, academically or professionally, if you met these people, to simply say they've just 'adapted' to a male-orientated world or whatever is disrespectful to them and ridiculous in the extreme.

If you were to ask them 'Do you think the treatment of women by sections of society and some police in rape cases is fair?' and the answered 'Yes, absolutely' then I don't care what their qualifications and credentials are in any other area, it is absolutely not disrespectful to accuse them of accepting misogyny.

Correction: forty years since women finally got the legal right to equal pay. They still don't have equal pay in practice

Legally, women have equal rights as men in the workplace, so you won't find many women who receive less pay for the same work, or anything like that. The majority of the differences between men and women in the workplace come from things like being passed over from promotion and having to choose between children or a career.

Now, I know the counter-argument is that women take a year out of the workplace and shouldn't expect to come back as if they hadn't. After all, would you expect a man to be treated as if he'd never left if he wanted to spend a year travelling Australia? However, there's a fundamental difference in that having children isn't a holiday and it's something the vast majority of people do.

It's the same for the glass ceiling argument. A lot of women believe that male managers appoint male managers and male board members appoint other male board members, which carries on a practice of rarely hiring women for top jobs. Again, the counter to that is that women simply aren't interested in those jobs, but as you say, you work with some very intelligent, dedicated women who are inferior to no-one. If that's the case why isn't there a nearly equal amount of female MPs, female CEOs, etc.

Men either rise to the top because:

The workplace is still an institutionally sexist organisation or because women aren't interested in top jobs. I feel it's the former and not the latter, but I'm not a woman so perhaps I'm not right. I'd love to not be right because I'd rather women simply didn't want those jobs instead of women being overlooked for them.

@HellsBells has views on this, that would be interesting to here (at least I think she does)

Correction: forty years since women finally got the legal right to equal pay. They still don't have equal pay in practice

They get paid less but is that not because a lot of women can't work full-time, so overall there are less women in work than men and in lower-status jobs usually resulting in lower pay?

Then again you could very easily say that is part of the discrimination against women in the workplace also.

Like my job for instance, I've been told on here that it's a lasses job. Why is it a lasses job? Is there any aspect of my job that is somehow suited to women, or that men shouldn't do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back