Homemade curries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow that curry secret.

I made some and was amazed. Proper sitty doony curry in the hoose.

The only negative is your house will f***ing stink for days. Best trying to isolate the kitchen and open all doors/windaz whilst cooking the base.

Follow that curry secret.

I made some and was amazed. Proper sitty doony curry in the hoose.

The only negative is your house will f***ing stink for days. Best trying to isolate the kitchen and open all doors/windaz whilst cooking the base.

the new one has an alternative way of cooking the base sauce, the first book has the better recipes in it though IMO

My lass from India and really rated the recent Rick Stein Indian series he did and ended up buying his book.

One thing I have noticed when she does a curry is that she always hoys in some fresh coriander and usually Greek yoghurt on the side. Makes a big difference.

Marry an Indian. Just don't make the mistake I did and marry one that can't cook.

wor lass is asian and has been cooking some karahi this week, also laughed at my tesco bought chapatis and knocked up some home made ones and some chilli and onion paratha's to go with me tea. took her 10 mins, taste like takeaway ones anarl.

Also Asafoetida is a game changer, chuck a pinch in everything.

This stuff is awesome, improves the taste of curry x10

Grind your own spices. Make a masala of onion, ginger, garlic and chilli, its the base of loads of indian dishes. Also cook it slowly or leave it overnight. Curry the next day is miles better.

I like to think of myself as someone that can cook, really well actually. Don't know why, I just get it.

However, there is one thing I don't ''get''. Homemade curries. for some reason, can't do them. Follow the recipes to the letter and they normally turn out to be just alright! Where as I read on here how nice everyone does one and I am jealous. I love a good curry.

Are there any fool proof recipes out there that people swear by or any hints or tips? I just think fuck it and buy them fromt the take away. However, as I don't eat alot of takeaways i end up having them few and far between.

Give me your guidance! Ta

Have a look at this site marra, it offers a choice of styles (Indian or British Indian Restaurant).

I use the C41 base with just about any of their BIR recipes and the flavours of their dishes are far better than most takeaways.

http://www.cook4one.co.uk/

I like to think of myself as someone that can cook, really well actually. Don't know why, I just get it.

However, there is one thing I don't ''get''. Homemade curries. for some reason, can't do them. Follow the recipes to the letter and they normally turn out to be just alright! Where as I read on here how nice everyone does one and I am jealous. I love a good curry.

Are there any fool proof recipes out there that people swear by or any hints or tips? I just think fuck it and buy them fromt the take away. However, as I don't eat alot of takeaways i end up having them few and far between.

Give me your guidance! Ta

The thing I usually enjoy about cooking rubys is not to follow a recipe, cooked them for years and I keep mixing the spices up following the general rules of what goes best with what.

Usually start with ghee, onions, garlic and chilli flakes, then the meat, I'll add the spices I want when the meat is just about done, cook the spices in and check the meat is done, maybe chuck in some mushrooms if I fancy, then add a tin of tomatoes, then leave on low heat to bubble and the longer you leave it the drier and hotter it gets so I normally leave it for 45mins to an hour, then you're sorted.

Can never get the bastard rice right though so that's always a job for our lass.

I think ghee is the difference.
Ghee for Indian.

If you're cooking coconut based Thai curries you need to crack the coconut cream. Cook the cream in a separate pan until it reduces down. With the liquid out it leaves like a curds and weigh consistency, with the coconut oil separated out. Add that to the rest of the cooked ingredients and it gives your curries that authentic thai look and taste.

wor lass is asian and has been cooking some karahi this week, also laughed at my tesco bought chapatis and knocked up some home made ones and some chilli and onion paratha's to go with me tea. took her 10 mins, taste like takeaway ones anarl.

Marry an Indian. Just don't make the mistake I did and marry one that can't cook.

My lass from India and really rated the recent Rick Stein Indian series he did and ended up buying his book.

One thing I have noticed when she does a curry is that she always hoys in some fresh coriander and usually Greek yoghurt on the side. Makes a big difference.

Check out the multi cultural SMB! :lol: Marriage is a bit ott for a decent curry mind ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back