Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

If a lot of you'd aren't clever enough to understand the argument (fair enough if you disagree, but a lot of yous miss the point I was making) then that's fair enough. The thread title is over the top, but the point is valid.

We have been a much easier side to beat since signing Defoe. It isn't his fault as such, but it indicates that we've committed a shit load to a player we've struggled to fit in. If Allardyce has found a way now, then that's great. But three managers in a row has admitted to problems fitting him into a balanced side.

If a lot of you'd aren't clever enough to understand the argument (fair enough if you disagree, but a lot of yous miss the point I was making) then that's fair enough. The thread title is over the top, but the point is valid.

We have been a much easier side to beat since signing Defoe. It isn't his fault as such, but it indicates that we've committed a shit load to a player we've struggled to fit in. If Allardyce has found a way now, then that's great. But three managers in a row has admitted to problems fitting him into a balanced side.
You sir are a clown. To say defoe was a bad signing considering we swapped him for dozy and his goals last season kept us up is plain stupidity. Also his goals this season are bagging the points. Admit it man, you have made a monumental thread cock up, to say you havent makes you look even more of a clown.

The main reason we have been so shit is not Defoe, or getting him into the team (which is easy, upfront alone or in a 2). We need to look at all the players around him before we even think about any blame on his signing. He is probably paid the same as say Fletcher and Graham together and I would rather have Defoe than both of those.

We commited a lot to Defoe, because he will score us goals. Without goals we are fucked. We would be even more fucked without Defoe.

We need to start buying quality and not quantity, which we done in this case to fix our goals.

The main reason we have been so shit is not Defoe, or getting him into the team (which is easy, upfront alone or in a 2). We need to look at all the players around him before we even think about any blame on his signing. He is probably paid the same as say Fletcher and Graham together and I would rather have Defoe than both of those.

We commited a lot to Defoe, because he will score us goals. Without goals we are fucked. We would be even more fucked without Defoe.

We need to start buying quality and not quantity, which we done in this case to fix our goals.

You see, I like Defoe and he is our best striker. But I don't think he's outstanding and he's not really worth the amounts were paying him until he's 36.

Further,the team has (until Monday night, which hopefully is a sign of things to come a) has never looked especially balanced or coherent when he's played up front.

I stress, again, the thread title was ott and a bit silly. The sentiment isn't. I suspect if Allardyce has a chance to get rid of him, he'll take it.

The title of this thread is all people will read @Morny. Any points you make after that title will be ignored.

I know what you're getting at. It's similar to when Bruce signed sess. We got a great player but were shoehorning him into the side on the right or left or sometimes up front.

With Defoe poyet had a side that wasn't conceding, he ended up changing it to fit Defoe in, as he's not a lone striker, and we started conceding shit loads. Advocaat recognised it so stuck him on the left. Allardyce recognised it and dropped him.

Finding a system that the manager is comfortable playing him in and that gets the best out of him is a toughie but it doesn't make him a bad signing. I'd rather have the problem of having good players who can't get into the team than shit players we can't get out of it.

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
No he's not.

I understand perfectly and I still think it's ridicilous, a complete joke and absolutely laughable.

You see, I like Defoe and he is our best striker. But I don't think he's outstanding and he's not really worth the amounts were paying him until he's 36.

Further,the team has (until Monday night, which hopefully is a sign of things to come a) has never looked especially balanced or coherent when he's played up front.

I stress, again, the thread title was ott and a bit silly. The sentiment isn't. I suspect if Allardyce has a chance to get rid of him, he'll take it.

Defoe is outstanding in comparison to the rest of our squad.

He may not be a natural for lone striker, yet he can do it better than anyone on the books since he arrived.

It's a bit unfair to point the finger at him because of the ineptitude of managers who can't work out how to find a place for their best players.

The title of this thread is all people will read @Morny. Any points you make after that title will be ignored.

I know what you're getting at. It's similar to when Bruce signed sess. We got a great player but were shoehorning him into the side on the right or left or sometimes up front.

With Defoe poyet had a side that wasn't conceding, he ended up changing it to fit Defoe in, as he's not a lone striker, and we started conceding shit loads. Advocaat recognised it so stuck him on the left. Allardyce recognised it and dropped him.

Finding a system that the manager is comfortable playing him in and that gets the best out of him is a toughie but it doesn't make him a bad signing. I'd rather have the problem of having good players who can't get into the team than shit players we can't get out of it.

I think that's a pretty decent summary to be fair. I do massively regret the thread title if I'm honest, but cannot be helped.

Your bit at the end is probably a fair point, and I'm hoping that this 352 under Allardyce will continue to both be solid and get the best out of Defoe. Bit early to judge off one good performance, but gotta hope yeah.

Basically we had two options;

1) Keep Altidore
2) Sell Altidore and get Defoe.

We couldn't buy another player instead of Defoe - Toronto was the only club that would take Altidore and it could only happen if Defoe went the other way. In short when analysing whether or not Defoe was a good signing it needs to be judged directly against how much better or worse it would be to have Altidore instead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back