Jersey Royal Tatties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love them, and they should be served as simply as possible because it's really easy to swamp their lovely flavour.

Salt, pepper, butter, bit mint or chives if you must.

Topper.

They taste nowt like they used to do. I believe that its because they don't use seaweed to fertilize the fields anymore either that or I am just getting too old. Boiled with a bit fresh mint and served with butter is the only way to eat them anyone who says different is a "wrong un" .

They taste nowt like they used to do. I believe that its because they don't use seaweed to fertilize the fields anymore either that or I am just getting too old. Boiled with a bit fresh mint and served with butter is the only way to eat them anyone who says different is a "wrong un" .
Possibly also the fact that they are mass produced and rushed to market these days. If you cook them really simply - i.e. boiled or steamed with just a crack of sea salt and some melted butter, they still have that nutty taste to them, but it doesn't seem as intense as back in the day.

Also the skins don't seem as flaky as they did. Again this could be down to modern production methods where they are washed thoroughly so the loose bits of skin get washed off, taking some of the unique taste with it.

Got a bit of beef in the slow cooker, just bought some Lincolns as we think they're better than jerseys. The sun is out, just poured our lass a glass of rose and me a dry white. Back garden is a sun trap, happy days.

Got a bit of beef in the slow cooker, just bought some Lincolns as we think they're better than jerseys. The sun is out, just poured our lass a glass of rose and me a dry white. Back garden is a sun trap, happy days.
Disagree about Lincolns and Jerseys, but enjoy your wine;)

Possibly also the fact that they are mass produced and rushed to market these days. If you cook them really simply - i.e. boiled or steamed with just a crack of sea salt and some melted butter, they still have that nutty taste to them, but it doesn't seem as intense as back in the day.

Also the skins don't seem as flaky as they did. Again this could be down to modern production methods where they are washed thoroughly so the loose bits of skin get washed off, taking some of the unique taste with it.

Smaller ones at start of season are never as flavoursome as the ones at back end - it's the smaller ones that Aldi and Lidl have been selling and while they're lovely the taste gets more pronounced with the last crops

I'm wanting jerseys for tea now - got some in fridge but they don't really go with burgers ? Unless I make a potato salad with them - eureka

Smaller ones at start of season are never as flavoursome as the ones at back end - it's the smaller ones that Aldi and Lidl have been selling and while they're lovely the taste gets more pronounced with the last crops

I'm wanting jerseys for tea now - got some in fridge but they don't really go with burgers ? Unless I make a potato salad with them - eureka
aha!

I got some from Aldi this morning, gonna have them with a warm duck salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back