Joining a union?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone honestly say the working man would have a better deal in ten years time if the union movement ceased to exist on Monday morning? ?
Think in ten years time unions will have all have shrunk t levels were there existence is serverely threatened .... And labour will be as complicit in their demise as anyone

Unions can strike as much as they want we've reached a point where it's become futile
Look at the fire service who have a genuine gripe ... Theyll never win

Reactions: JJH
Worked in Engineering for 20+ years with a lot of blue chip companies and a few back street shite ones and have never ever joined one and infact the best places were those that didnt recognise unions.The worst had a strong union presence and it was shite ...loads of bickering and rumours started by individuals who should of known better.Like has been said its a coincidence the union rep had one of the best jobs/ pay rates .
Now Im an employer I can see that I was correct in my views of them. It seems only the slackers and trouble makers now join unions to try and protect themselves when they fcuk up.
No doubt they had a place in history protecting the working classes from unscrupulous bosses but equally they should take the blame for screwing up the great British industries like car manufacturing.

No, but if we become complacent we may return to the conditions our fathers and grandfathers helped eradicate.
Ah, so because our fathers and grandfathers did it we should? Another one of those is it. Unions aren't always for the people.

Worked in Engineering for 20+ years with a lot of blue chip companies and a few back street shite ones and have never ever joined one and infact the best places were those that didnt recognise unions.The worst had a strong union presence and it was shite ...loads of bickering and rumours started by individuals who should of known better.Like has been said its a coincidence the union rep had one of the best jobs/ pay rates .
Now Im an employer I can see that I was correct in my views of them. It seems only the slackers and trouble makers now join unions to try and protect themselves when they fcuk up.
No doubt they had a place in history protecting the working classes from unscrupulous bosses but equally they should take the blame for screwing up the great British industries like car manufacturing.
Shipbuilding ... Father constantly out in the 1970s over petty little vendettas and deluded demands

Reactions: JJH
:lol: It is and I do

Just started working in public services and it's the first time I've ever been asked. Surely the place I work wouldn't give pay rises to those in the union but not to those not in the union? Same with redundancies, surely the fact you are in a union would have no bearing on that?
No to both points above (pay rise and redundancy). However, if you do go through a redundancy process or are ever facing any kind of battle over your T's and C's you'll want the union on your side.

Although pay rises in public sector have been terrible for as long as I can remember now, they'd have been even worse had it not been for trade unions.

No, but if we become complacent we may return to the conditions our fathers and grandfathers helped eradicate.
To be fairly honest, conditions are going to get worse and there is no union out there that can stop it, except perhaps a union of people which isn't likely to happen in the currently climate, is it?

Those slagging the trade union movement off need to realise we would all still be working 60 hour 6 day weeks for a pittance with no holidays, sick pay, maternity leave, parental leave, paid breaks etc etc like our granddads were if it wasnt for this movement

What a stupid argument

and heading back to to it if the Tories had their way...

The first bit of advice people give on here when someone is having bother at work is join a union. Of course by then it is too late.
Even if your workplace doesn't recognise them I think it is a useful insurance policy, if it is recognised, even more so.
It's personal choice but this thread gives plenty of evidence of how people totally misunderstand the point of unions and play right into their employer's hands.

I get a diary , pen and a lanyard I'm embarrassed to wear from the GMB for my £140 a year. Oh and a magazine a couple of times a year that goes straight in the recycle bin. I see it more as legal insurance should things go tits up . Not sure I trust them though.

I would guess that is what workers were told 100+ years ago as well.

To be fairly honest, conditions are going to get worse and there is no union out there that can stop it, except perhaps a union of people which isn't likely to happen in the currently climate, is it?

Yeah, because the scabs that 'cover' for them have no shame.

Think in ten years time unions will have all have shrunk t levels were there existence is serverely threatened .... And labour will be as complicit in their demise as anyone

Unions can strike as much as they want we've reached a point where it's become futile
Look at the fire service who have a genuine gripe ... Theyll never win

Last edited:
I have usually found my immediate reps to be pretty toothless really.As long as you know your terms and conditions inside out and read up on employment laws when the need arises you can usually defend yourself. When it comes to claims and court cases etc then the union have served me and others well.
I remember when the company offered us a 10 per cent pay rise on the condition we gave up collective bargaining.We refused and the union took the company to court.Union won and we were all given 2000 quid.Add to that the millions the unions have managed to get for people for historical work related diseases and injury's and i would say yes you should join the union.

Well, if everyone had that attitude they would be.

They certainly are required these days as employers try to screw people over, but thanks to new laws and attitudes like yours they have much less power to protect people.

The unions, like feminists, are redundant.

Well, if everyone had that attitude they would be.

They certainly are required these days as employers try to screw people over, but thanks to new laws and attitudes like yours they have much less power to protect people.
Yes... my attitude is responsible for the financial crisis and the inequality we currently observe. What new laws are present as a result of unions, laws that protect the worker as you say? I am defining new as the last decade. Unions are nothing but a pain in the arse for the working class, they are redundant the majority of time and the times they are needed a moral consensus develops which forces change one way or another.

Yes... my attitude is responsible for the financial crisis and the inequality we currently observe. What new laws are present as a result of unions, laws that protect the worker as you say? I am defining new as the last decade. Unions are nothing but a pain in the arse for the working class, they are redundant the majority of time and the times they are needed a moral consensus develops which forces change one way or another.

Parental leave

Do you believe the working man will be in a better position 10 years from now if trade unions ceased to exist Monday morning?

I've always found unions rather toothless and unable to pick the correct fights.

Parental leave

Do you believe the working man will be in a better position 10 years from now if trade unions ceased to exist Monday morning?
Parental leave my arse. This summer I ended up covering for one of the lads so that he could have a couple of weeks sitting in the sun. Fcker was ringing me from his back garden giving me Alnwick weather updates!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back