Labour plan £8 a hour minimum wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

most of which is state ran....
Not sure about that as most if not all of care at home is provided by private companies that is why councils put tenders out every four years , even state ran care homes are closing due to the cost.
Like I said maybe the larger companies can and should pay the £8 but for the vast majority that employ the most people in this country it is simply not an option .

There's no doubting that some dodgy businesses take advantage however care businesses in particular that have a set rate from the council to provide care would not survive paying £8 and hour plus 13.8% NI to staff.

It's actually 12.4% which the Tories are increasing to 13,8% in 2016

Not sure about that as most if not all of care at home is provided by private companies that is why councils put tenders out every four years , even state ran care homes are closing due to the cost.
Like I said maybe the larger companies can and should pay the £8 but for the vast majority that employ the most people in this country it is simply not an option .

Exactly the same was getting said before the minimum wage was getting introduced in the 90's. As long as its do sensibly and with the right consultation its more than possible

So we need to keep these people on shit money so no one else gets a pay rise (apart from them at the top of course)
No. But for Ed or the article writer or anyone to try to see this as a way to bring the bottom wages more in line with the median wage is dreaming. All it does is raise the bottom line wage. Any attempt to do that should be praised, though overall people may not necessarily be better off as companies will raise their prices so their profit margins aren't hit as much by paying out a bit more on the payroll.

OK then state funded

I don't think the council would see you turned out onto the street, mate
Not sure about that mate...didn't think I would ever see ex service men who have served our county be left homeless on the street with no care or back up to help them. The onus will be on the families more and more to look after their own elderly parents (not a bad thing) .

Will never happen and If that's the case then maybe the government would like to up the rates from local councils on domicillary care for the elderly cos a lot of the firms providing care will cease to trade.

How? The local authorities purchase the care in most cases so they will have to pay more.

No. But for Ed or the article writer or anyone to try to see this as a way to bring the bottom wages more in line with the median wage is dreaming. All it does is raise the bottom line wage. Any attempt to do that should be praised, though overall people may not necessarily be better off as companies will raise their prices so their profit margins aren't hit as much by paying out a bit more on the payroll.

Fair do mate you make a good point. The one thing that annoys me about all this is how people (not necessary you) claim business simply cant afford it

All the bullshit was trotted out for years pre minimum wage, these companies would love to pay more but simply cant, the economy will collapse, jobs will be lost. When it was finally introduced all the scaremongering was proved to be bullshit. As long as things are done sensibly and with the proper consultation £8 a hour is more than achievable by 2020. Its 30p a hour for 6-7 year

It's actually 12.4% which the Tories are increasing to 13,8% in 2016

That is why I said 13.8% as it will be atleast this when/if the increase arrives mate.

OK then state funded
Correct state funded that is diminishing year on year

How? The local authorities purchase the care in most cases so they will have to pay more.
The rate what LA pay is getting slashed every year especially in the north,agree if it went up every year then the minimum wage increase wouldn't be such a big thing...

Last edited:
Not sure about that mate...didn't think I would ever see ex service men who have served our county be left homeless on the street with no care or back up to help them. The onus will be on the families more and more to look after their own elderly parents (not a bad thing) .

Maybe care home workers should treat their wage bill like other essential business overheads.

If their gas, electric, rent and rates go up, which they do every year, they should be able to cope with the occasional modest rise in salaries, without this predictable scaremongering.

That is why I said 13.8% as it will be atleast this when/if the increase arrives mate.

Think you're backtracking on that one tbf.
As NI is currentlty 13.8%. Employees with a defined benefit cont pension get a 1.4% discount.
It's getting scrapped in a couple of years

The rate what LA pay is getting slashed every year especially in the north,agree if it went up every year then the minimum wage increase wouldn't be such a big thing...

That is a totally different issue. If that happens businesses will go bust regardless of minimum wage.

currently the lowest LA grade is higher than NMW.
If the government agree yo decent pay increases, it shouldn't be an issue for the public sector

Fair do mate you make a good point. The one thing that annoys me about all this is how people (not necessary you) claim business simply cant afford it

All the bullshit was trotted out for years pre minimum wage, these companies would love to pay more but simply cant, the economy will collapse, jobs will be lost. When it was finally introduced all the scaremongering was proved to be bullshit. As long as things are done sensibly and with the proper consultation £8 a hour is more than achievable by 2020. Its 30p a hour for 6-7 year
30p doesn't seem a lot to bear I agree however for SME who employ under 50 people say then that is about £35k rise every year, a lot of companies could afford it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back