Labour plan £8 a hour minimum wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently the lowest LA grade is higher than NMW.
If the government agree yo decent pay increases, it shouldn't be an issue for the public sector

The LA grade ..not sure if you mean the rate they pay for care or the pay rate they give to their employees

That is a totally different issue. If that happens businesses will go bust regardless of minimum wage.
not sure how this is a different issue

employee pay
Not sure if we are on the same topic here mate, I'm on about the local authority rate that they give to private care companies to look after people in their own homes and how it is being slashed every year.
I don't know what pay rates councils offer their employees.

Not sure if we are on the same topic here mate, I'm on about the local authority rate that they give to private care companies to look after people in their own homes and how it is being slashed every year.
I don't know what pay rates councils offer their employees.

OK fair point.
However as government policy is pushing social care services into the private sector, would you expect anything less?

OK fair point.
However as government policy is pushing social care services into the private sector, would you expect anything less?
Ofcourse not pal doesn't matter who's in charge they will always look to cut costs on things that should matter the most, be it NHS or social care. I'm all for people earning good money but some industries will never offer great pay and some will even struggle to pay £8 an hour unfortunately.

I can remember the same argument getting banded about when the minimum wage first got introduced. These poor business would really love to pay more but simply couldn't afford to

The poor businesses will quite happily pay a euro economic migrant less than someone from the local job centre mind. Businesses will generally pay the least they can legally get away with

Ofcourse not pal doesn't matter who's in charge they will always look to cut costs on things that should matter the most, be it NHS or social care. I'm all for people earning good money but some industries will never offer great pay and some will even struggle to pay £8 an hour unfortunately.

It's not now, it's in 6 years time. Which is obviously dependent on inflation

The poor businesses will quite happily pay a euro economic migrant less than someone from the local job centre mind. Businesses will generally pay the least they can legally get away with
Don't tar thousands of honest British businesses with the same brush as those you see on daytime TV or in the red tops mate.
Business is about making money..end off and for the vast majority that I know they do so with an integrity that puts their employees top of their priority.The main asset of any company is its employees.

It's not now, it's in 6 years time. Which is obviously dependent on inflation
Thing with running a business is that you deal with the here and now...if proposals like this increase get mooted about you need to see how you would cope if it was happening now as you can never truly predict how trading will be in a couple of years time never mind 6. And like I've said a lot of SME companies wouldn't survive....don't forget that the pension ruling for all employees is coming into force as well.

Don't tar thousands of honest British businesses with the same brush as those you see on daytime TV or in the red tops mate.
Business is about making money..end off and for the vast majority that I know they do so with an integrity that puts their employees top of their priority.The main asset of any company is its employees.

Priority is always bosses and shareholders pockets first in the majority of cases.

The minimum wage fucked as many people as it helped, I've nee doubt. I was on more than the minimum wage is now as a FLT driver almost 20 years ago, yet any jobs advertised for FLT drivers these days only pay minimum wage. Crazy when you think the cost of living has almost trebled in that time.

The minimum wage fucked as many people as it helped, I've nee doubt.

Are you happier with the current state of play whereby we taxpayers top up the wages of the low paid with benefits, so that employers and their shareholders don't have this nuisance on their balance sheets?

Are you happier with the current state of play whereby we taxpayers top up the wages of the low paid with benefits, so that employers and their shareholders don't have this nuisance on their balance sheets?

They should means test tax credits, but apply the means test to the company.
Small struggling companies, startups etc will pass the test, their employees will get tax credits. ADSA, Tesco, Sports Direct etc will fail means test and HAVE to pay more or have no staff.

They should means test tax credits, but apply the means test to the company.
Small struggling companies, startups etc will pass the test, their employees will get tax credits. ADSA, Tesco, Sports Direct etc will fail means test and HAVE to pay more or have no staff.

Tesco reported profits of £3.3bn last year. Their shareholders will be raising a glass to all the mugs who oppose the rise in the minimum wage, those who'd rather top up the piss-poor earnings of Tesco's (etc) employees out of their own pockets.

Will just get passed on to the punter. I would introduce mandatory employee profit sharing, its law in France

Tesco reported profits of £3.3bn last year. Their shareholders will be raising a glass to all the mugs who oppose the rise in the minimum wage, those who'd rather top up the piss-poor earnings of Tesco's (etc) employees out of their own pockets.

I could live with that (maybe) if they were paying fair tax on the profit. However like most big business they are practising tax avoidance and giving a slice of the I'll gotten gains back to Westminster parties in 'sponsorship'. Both Tory and Labour take money from Tesco, I trust you will be doing the decent thing and voting Lib Dem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back