MacBook or Windows Laptop?

Yep, too often percieved as a blocker rather than the crucial enabler at the heart of business. All because some toddler can't get a toy to wave around.

Which leads to the common problem of "Shadow IT" where individuals and groups go and do their own thing and use equipment and systems without the knowledge or approval of IT (but, of course, they still expect help when they have a problem). I've been involved with IT audits where we've found whole networks which have been setup under the radar which can cause huge security and compliance problems.

Which leads to the common problem of "Shadow IT" where individuals and groups go and do their own thing and use equipment and systems without the knowledge or approval of IT (but, of course, they still expect help when they have a problem). I've been involved with IT audits where we've found whole networks which have been setup under the radar which can cause huge security and compliance problems.
That's terrifying!

That's terrifying!

Happens everywhere - and it's understandable where corporate IT won't or can't help with a problem then people take it into their own hands to try to solve immediate business problems without thinking of the bigger issues of security, compliance, data integrity or backup. I've seen people keeping business critical data on unsecured NAS drives, personal cloud accounts or subscription services operated on someone's credit card which gets locked out when they leave the business. And then they ring IT Support for help.

yeah, I know a bank (not my current employer) that had a few servers with copies of customer data on them that the business used to do modelling with.
people would be hung drawn and quartered for that stuff nowadays

Happens everywhere - and it's understandable where corporate IT won't or can't help with a problem then people take it into their own hands to try to solve immediate business problems without thinking of the bigger issues of security, compliance, data integrity or backup. I've seen people keeping business critical data on unsecured NAS drives, personal cloud accounts or subscription services operated on someone's credit card which gets locked out when they leave the business. And then they ring IT Support for help.

I hope they know how to buy bitcoin with those credit cards....

like IT get any say in what kit gets rolled out to the higher ups - they are told to just make it work
Anecdotal apparently :)
I think I might just put that against the 10+ MAC related job tickets in our queue right now 😎
Let’s face it, anyone who chooses a PC over a Mac must have something wrong with them.
They’re class consumer devices. Not so great in a mainly windows enterprise environment
like IT get any say in what kit gets rolled out to the higher ups - they are told to just make it work
^ knows.

Last edited:
Let’s face it, anyone who chooses a PC over a Mac must have something wrong with them.

Total over-generalisation. Some examples:
  • In many business areas you just want a beige box to do a job as cheaply as possible. It would be insane to have an Apple manufactured machine as a print server where a cheap Window or Linux system could be used.
  • In many scientific and engineering applications the software just isn't isn't available for MacOS. Less of a problem than it used to be as more applications are web/cloud based but there is a lot of legacy software out there.
  • Much easier on Windows to custom build systems for specific uses such as interfacing to custom hardware. Manufacturers tend not to provide MacOS drivers for their equipment.
  • Easier to upgrade, expand and repurpose a Windows machine.
  • People who do Mac support tend to be more expensive and thinner on the group than for Windows
  • Still no touchscreens on a Mac
Of course there are also a lot of use cases where a Mac would be an excellent choice such as music/video/photo editing or you just want a zero hassle machine which "just works" but some Apple users treat their computers and phones as more of a matter of religion.

This any good spec?

Prozessor : Intel Core i7-8650U 4 x 1.9 GHz (8. Generation)
Anzahl Prozessor Kerne : 4 Kerne
Arbeitsspeicher : 16 GB
Festplatte : 256 GB SSD
Grafikkarte : Intel HD Graphics 620 (4K Support)
Bildschirm : 1920x1080 Pixel 35,6cm 14" IPS Full HD

This any good spec?

Prozessor : Intel Core i7-8650U 4 x 1.9 GHz (8. Generation)
Anzahl Prozessor Kerne : 4 Kerne
Arbeitsspeicher : 16 GB
Festplatte : 256 GB SSD
Grafikkarte : Intel HD Graphics 620 (4K Support)
Bildschirm : 1920x1080 Pixel 35,6cm 14" IPS Full HD
Recon for about £200?

I don’t currently have MacBook but when I did I used it everyday for 3 years. The day I sold it, it was still running as quick as the day I unboxed it. If you have the money I’d get the M1 Air.
I got my eldest one when he started uni 8/9 years ago. His is still going strong and he uses it every day for work.
It's got to be Apple really hasn't it?

Back