May 30th O2 card - PPV but best UK boxing bill for many a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont mind forking out occasionaly for the very top fights on PPV. Not a chance I will be for this one though. Sky have just their bill up £5 aswell :evil:

Looking forward to this now. Nice accumulator for added interest.

Hope there's a decent build up to promote it but I feel all the casual fans will go back in their box now because they didn't get Rocky 7 this weekend.
Yeah mate. If you put a £10 on Cardle, Ryder, Selby, Mitchell and Ryan (all either faves or joint faves), you return over £100, which is far better than the usual returning £16 (including stake) which you would jhave got for the 5 undercard fights on the Cleverly-Bellew bill. If you add Brook into that acca you will get about £10-15 more (not worked out the exact figures).

Hope this all sticks together and no pull outs as it is a really good bill and superb night of boxing - Just wish the FA Cup final started at 3pm that day instead of 5.30pm :evil:

But this Birmingham card on Saturday is shite, with not one competitive fight on it.

Decent card but no way would I pay for it. It's greed by Hearns and Sky. The hardcore will pay but the casuals like me won't. I can't help but think Sky and Hearns dropped the ball. If it was on SSS1 you'll get more viewers and more exposure for the fighters.

Decent card but no way would I pay for it. It's greed by Hearns and Sky. The hardcore will pay but the casuals like me won't. I can't help but think Sky and Hearns dropped the ball. If it was on SSS1 you'll get more viewers and more exposure for the fighters.
This. In the days of streaming its arrogance and greed to assume the average bloke who already has their eyes taken out by sky is going to cough up even more every time there is a bill that isnt one sided uncompetitive shite.

So today, Eddie Hearn has as expected added Kell Brook vs Frankie Gavin to the packed O2 May 30th bill, and again as expected, has made this PPV.

But looking at the card, it is full of genuine 50/50 relevant title fights instead of the 'names' vs cans in 1/100 fights like the Bellew-Cleverly undercard.

Dave Ryan vs John Wayne Hibbert
Commonwealth Light Welterweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/dave-ryan-v-john-wayne-hibbert/winner - Both fighters 10/11.
A rematch for the belt Ryan was supposed to defend against Bradley Saunders in the main event at Newcastle last Saturday

John Ryder vs Nick Blackwell
vacant British middleweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/john-ryder-v-nick-blackwell/winner - Ryder 5/6, Blackwell evens
2 highly rated domestic middleweight contenders.

Scott Cardle vs Craig Evans
vacant British lightweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/scott-cardle-v-craig-evans/winner - Cardle 1/4, Evans 11/4 - wider, but still fairly close odds in boxing terms
2 young prospects putting their unbeaten records on the line. Cardle with Hearn, Evans with Warren

Anthony Joshua vs Kevin Johnson
I won't put the odds up here as Joshua is a clear favourite and you could probably count the number of shots Johnson throws on two hands and still have fingers remaining, but it is the best 'name' AJ has faced and Johnson despite being in with Vitali, Fury, Chisora etc has never been stopped in his losses, so it would be a bit of a statement if AJ stops him early. Not a great fight, but should add a few buys for the more casual fan with the big man on the card.

Evgeny Gradovich vs Lee Selby
IBF Featherweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/lee-selby-v-evgeny-gradovich/winner - Selby 2/5, Grad 2/1
Defending champ Gradovich travels to take on Welshman Selby. Gradovich is unbeaten and the highly rated Selby just has one blemish on his record. Close fight that will likely go the distance, but a great chance for Lee to take the belt.

Jorge Linares vs Kevin Mitchell
WBC Leightweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/kevin-mitchell-v-jorge-linares/winner - bookies can't really split them here. Both around 10/11
Another chance for Mitchell to finally win world honours in possibly his last attempt. Linares is well known and has been in some great fights in the past, but this may be the right time for Mitchell to face him as he has looked pretty decent recently, particularly in his last fight. I would expect a stoppage here

Kell Brook vs Frankie Gavin
IBF Welterweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/kell-brook-v-frankie-gavin/winner - closer than a lot will expect. Gavin generally 4/1, Brook 1/6 (Gavin was 3s at Lads but has drifted)
Many will criticise this fight and they will have a right to, but i don;t mind it. Hearn always planned this as a fight when he signed Gavin, so in some ways it is good to get it out of the way in a very good show rather than as a stand alone PPV down the line. Gavin is highly ranked by the IBF and was due a final eliminator against Bradley (after Khan pulled) out, but has jumped the queue due to both having the same promoter and a voluntary defense for Brook. Kell should win and if this was it for him until Dec/Jan (fighting twice a year like most) then it would be a bit poor, but it is a ranked opponent and he is plannig on fighting Rios at the end of July / early August so at least he is active and gives himself an opportunity to build himself as a PPV fighter.

I've written a lot more than i intended here, but what an overall card that is :eek:. Loaded with genuine of 50/50 fights where you generally can't call it, unlike the Bellew PPV where it was a case of how many rounds Quigg, McDonnell, Groves etc would lose, if any. All these fights are relevant. I know PPV gets a lot of stick (mainly from me :lol:), but no complaints here. It should be a top night of boxing. The only main issue is 2 PPV's in one month and a lot of the regular Sky shows have been weak of late, possibly because all the efforts have gone in this, but this really is a night of boxing not to be missed.

It is more of a 'hardcore' card with some might not be that interested in Ryan, Cardle etc, but who on here are planning to watch (buy, stream) this?

A couple more fights still to be added as well apparently. Roll on May 30th :cool:

^^^

Here you go @stephen cartwright you useless twat! :lol:

Are the ABA fights still on in Londing every year? I always wanted go go with me old man (RIP) but would like to go with me currants

Bump.

Not too long now and expect the Sky hype to start soon, probably this week. It's good how all 7 fights have remained so far with no pull outs.

Its bad that I am thinking I don't fancy relying on a stream.
I've been as vocal as anyone in the past about being against PPV. I was very unhappy with Froch - Groves I and raging at the Bellew - Cleverly (+shite undercard) one, but i don;t mind paying for this. My only concern was the shite regular sky cards we have been getting recently - Newcastle, Hull, Leeds and the worst of the lot, the Birmingham card last Saturday. BUT things are looking good with the recent Liverpool (decent fights for Fielding and Calum Smith and hopefully a goof one for Price) and the superb Manchester one in July (Quigg-Martinez, Foot-Eggington, world title fight for Crolla) both being on normal Sky.

I will go round to my brothers and depending on how many watch will split the bill so i'll either pay between £5 and £10 which i don;t mind as it is a very very good night of boxing with 4 or 5 fights i am very interested in. I would much rather watch this card on a big screen rather than rely on a stream buffering and stopping. I am still largely against PPV but i love this card. I can understand those maybe not as interested in the 50/50 fights further down the bill being more tempted to stream it though.

There isn't really one stand out fight which is must by, but there are 3 or 4 combined which makes it an excellent card, and one IMO, not to be missed.

I've been as vocal as anyone in the past about being against PPV. I was very unhappy with Froch - Groves I and raging at the Bellew - Cleverly (+shite undercard) one, but i don;t mind paying for this. My only concern was the shite regular sky cards we have been getting recently - Newcastle, Hull, Leeds and the worst of the lot, the Birmingham card last Saturday. BUT things are looking good with the recent Liverpool (decent fights for Fielding and Calum Smith and hopefully a goof one for Price) and the superb Manchester one in July (Quigg-Martinez, Foot-Eggington, world title fight for Crolla) both being on normal Sky.

I will go round to my brothers and depending on how many watch will split the bill so i'll either pay between £5 and £10 which i don;t mind as it is a very very good night of boxing with 4 or 5 fights i am very interested in. I would much rather watch this card on a big screen rather than rely on a stream buffering and stopping. I am still largely against PPV but i love this card. I can understand those maybe not as interested in the 50/50 fights further down the bill being more tempted to stream it though.

There isn't really one stand out fight which is must by, but there are 3 or 4 combined which makes it an excellent card, and one IMO, not to be missed.

If I can watch it peace (kick our lass out for the evening) I will buy it. A £40 night in (with beer and scran) will be better money spent than when I go Out and spend double.

Only 2 fights of real interest, Mitchell and Kell.

The rest is just padding out what would be a decent terrestrial card in terms of promoting the sport nationwide but instead it's another monumental fuck up by the British powers that be. Selfish pricks.
Sadly this is what has effected boxing over the last 10 years+

So today, Eddie Hearn has as expected added Kell Brook vs Frankie Gavin to the packed O2 May 30th bill, and again as expected, has made this PPV.

But looking at the card, it is full of genuine 50/50 relevant title fights instead of the 'names' vs cans in 1/100 fights like the Bellew-Cleverly undercard.

Dave Ryan vs John Wayne Hibbert
Commonwealth Light Welterweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/dave-ryan-v-john-wayne-hibbert/winner - Both fighters 10/11.
A rematch for the belt Ryan was supposed to defend against Bradley Saunders in the main event at Newcastle last Saturday

John Ryder vs Nick Blackwell
vacant British middleweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/john-ryder-v-nick-blackwell/winner - Ryder 5/6, Blackwell evens
2 highly rated domestic middleweight contenders.

Scott Cardle vs Craig Evans
vacant British lightweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/scott-cardle-v-craig-evans/winner - Cardle 1/4, Evans 11/4 - wider, but still fairly close odds in boxing terms
2 young prospects putting their unbeaten records on the line. Cardle with Hearn, Evans with Warren

Anthony Joshua vs Kevin Johnson
I won't put the odds up here as Joshua is a clear favourite and you could probably count the number of shots Johnson throws on two hands and still have fingers remaining, but it is the best 'name' AJ has faced and Johnson despite being in with Vitali, Fury, Chisora etc has never been stopped in his losses, so it would be a bit of a statement if AJ stops him early. Not a great fight, but should add a few buys for the more casual fan with the big man on the card.

Evgeny Gradovich vs Lee Selby
IBF Featherweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/lee-selby-v-evgeny-gradovich/winner - Selby 2/5, Grad 2/1
Defending champ Gradovich travels to take on Welshman Selby. Gradovich is unbeaten and the highly rated Selby just has one blemish on his record. Close fight that will likely go the distance, but a great chance for Lee to take the belt.

Jorge Linares vs Kevin Mitchell
WBC Leightweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/kevin-mitchell-v-jorge-linares/winner - bookies can't really split them here. Both around 10/11
Another chance for Mitchell to finally win world honours in possibly his last attempt. Linares is well known and has been in some great fights in the past, but this may be the right time for Mitchell to face him as he has looked pretty decent recently, particularly in his last fight. I would expect a stoppage here

Kell Brook vs Frankie Gavin
IBF Welterweight title
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/kell-brook-v-frankie-gavin/winner - closer than a lot will expect. Gavin generally 4/1, Brook 1/6 (Gavin was 3s at Lads but has drifted)
Many will criticise this fight and they will have a right to, but i don;t mind it. Hearn always planned this as a fight when he signed Gavin, so in some ways it is good to get it out of the way in a very good show rather than as a stand alone PPV down the line. Gavin is highly ranked by the IBF and was due a final eliminator against Bradley (after Khan pulled) out, but has jumped the queue due to both having the same promoter and a voluntary defense for Brook. Kell should win and if this was it for him until Dec/Jan (fighting twice a year like most) then it would be a bit poor, but it is a ranked opponent and he is plannig on fighting Rios at the end of July / early August so at least he is active and gives himself an opportunity to build himself as a PPV fighter.

I've written a lot more than i intended here, but what an overall card that is :eek:. Loaded with genuine of 50/50 fights where you generally can't call it, unlike the Bellew PPV where it was a case of how many rounds Quigg, McDonnell, Groves etc would lose, if any. All these fights are relevant. I know PPV gets a lot of stick (mainly from me :lol:), but no complaints here. It should be a top night of boxing. The only main issue is 2 PPV's in one month and a lot of the regular Sky shows have been weak of late, possibly because all the efforts have gone in this, but this really is a night of boxing not to be missed.

It is more of a 'hardcore' card with some might not be that interested in Ryan, Cardle etc, but who on here are planning to watch (buy, stream) this?

A couple more fights still to be added as well apparently. Roll on May 30th :cool:
Great card that mind. I'm looking forward to Gavin and brook. Away from that I seen somewhere online that Fury was going to fight Klitschko at Wembley, this true?

Struggling to motivate myself to pay a box office ppv for a headliner between a bloke with one good win abainst a domestic level fighter - possibly the most tedious/boring fighter in british boxing to boot.

Aj versus a washed up punchbag, 4 losses in 5 - might take him the round tbf..

The mitchell fight could have headlined a saturday night fight night, shame its stuck under the shambolic "world title fight "...if anything might get it for mitchell, whose vicious punching might spark linares.

I assume even hearn wouldnt have the balls to make the quigg versus monroe/frampton cast off ppv.

Last edited:
Struggling to motivate myself to pay a box office ppv for a headliner between a bloke with one good win abainst a domestic level fighter - possibly the most tedious/boring fighter in british boxing to boot.

Aj versus a washed up punchbag, 4 losses in 5 - might take him the round tbf..

The mitchell fight could have headlined a saturday night fight night, shame its stuck under the shambolic "world title fight "...if anything might get it for mitchell, whose vicious punching might spark linares.

I assume even hearn wouldnt have the balls to make the quigg versus monroe/frampton cast off ppv.

No mate, that's on regular Sky, but is looking like a cracking show. Martinez will be Quiggs best opponent (by far) too date (Munroe was past his best when they fought) and i would not be surprised at all if Martinez stops him. A very tough fight for Crolla coming back from his horrific incident in a world title fight and a cracking fight between Sunderland's Glenn Foot and the improving Sam Egiington for the vacant British - i think that one will steal the show.

Your missing Gradovic-Selby from your post - that's a very good fight as well and it's good how 2 genuine world champions have been brought over to give the British lads a better chance of fulfilling their dreams - i can;t wait.

A very good card but bollocks to it being on Box Office.
It's far too good for regular Sky Sports though mate. Yes there is the argument that some of these fights could have been spread over the shocking regular Sky shows we have been getting of late (Brum, Leeds, Newc, Hull etc) but as a card it is the best UK one i have ever seen in all my years following the sport. It would be very hard to bring 2 champions over and have the man who they want to build shows around and take over the PPV role once Froch fully retires on the same card, plus Gavin won;t be getting peanuts for this - he was one of Warren's highest earners before his switch to Matchroom.

Yes, some fights could have been put on other bills and we could have had Brook-Gavin, Joshua-Johnson, Ryder-Blackwell just about on normal Sky (even that might have been considered 'too good'), but with the other 2 additional world title fights and the other British / Commonwealth title fights it is definitely worth the £16.95 IMO and you know how vocal i was against that Bellew card being on PPV.

I'm really really looking forward to this. I'm interested in every fight, with the AJ one being my least anticipated one. Its the type of card i would definitely change arrangements if something clashed with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back