New recruit Rodwell reveals fitness struggles are behind slow start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Midfield
JACK RODWELL admits it has been tough to blow off the cobwebs from his Manchester City days after completing his first 90 minutes for Sunderland.

Rodwell was arguably Sunderland’s best performer in Saturday’s dire stalemate at Burnley, as the winless Black Cats lurched to a fourth draw from five Premier League outings.

The £10million summer signing has understandably struggled to get up to speed in the early stages of his Sunderland career after making just seven league starts during two years at City.

But Rodwell believes the match sharpness is beginning to return after comfortably lasting the duration at Turf Moor.

The midfielder told the Echo: “I felt good out there. I’m getting fitter and have played my first 90 of the season.

“I had a couple of chances, one when I could have took it earlier. On another day, I might have got a goal.

“It’s been hard. Fitness-wise, I’ve been on the training field every day, but it’s match fitness. You can’t buy that.

“You can train as much as you want, but it’s not the same.

“The anticipation and just being alert comes with games.

“It’s felt like a long lay-off. It’s hard when you play one game and then miss the next six.

“But I’ve had four or five games now and long may it continue really.”

Rodwell admits Sunderland didn’t offer enough of a goal threat at Burnley to record a first Premier League victory of the campaign, albeit Patrick van Aanholt almost snatched it in stoppage time when his long-range drive hit the post.

But the 23-year-old says Sunderland need to make the most of back-to-back Stadium of Light outings - tomorrow’s Capital One Cup third round visit of Stoke, followed by Premier League clashes against Swansea and the Potters - to get their season up and running.

“We’ve got three home games on the spin now, so we need to make them count,” he added.

“I think it was a missed chance (at Burnley).

“I thought we passed it okay and defended okay, but just lacked that spark really.

“We came in at half-time and said it’s here for us, but we didn’t capitalise on that.

“It’s another point on the board, but we need to be winning those type of games really if we want to be pushing up the table.

“We just lacked that goal threat in the final third; that killer pass, cross or bit of spark from someone.

“If you don’t win, you don’t get beat and that’s what the manager said. We got no goals against, so that’s a positive.

“It was a great strike by Patrick.

“Somedays those go in, in a scappy game, but it wasn’t to be.”

I thought he was pretty impressive on Saturday. Was first in the box in almost every attack - his fitness is clearly improving and (despite the bed wetting on here expecting him to be better than Messi) is showing his class

Some fans in a nut shell. He will come good, just need to have that one game where it all clicks.

He's done fine and will get better. His presence on the pitch alone is something we've missed. Far superior player to the one we lost in the summer.

Was good to see a central midfielder drive forward with the ball on a couple of occasions. Once he's clocked up 10-12 games I think he'll show his true value to the team.

Quite a relief to see him looking up to match speed and lasting 90 minutes. I was worried we'd still be waiting to see him fully fit in December. Can we finally drop Seb and stick Gomez in beside him while we're on?

Rodwell looks more likely to score than any of our current forwards, that is quite worrying like. Not too bothered with his fitness as it will take time, I think he'll be a big player for us and I can honestly see him getting many crucial goals for us over the season to come.

If he can't last the course against Burnley what chance have we got of ever seeing the best of him. I think it's just another promise of jam tomorrow. If and when he is good, I'll be the first to say so.

And a tiny fraction into his contract with us. Get him fit now to be firing on all cylinders for the rest of the season and for the duration he is here. Also, despite being unfit, he is still showing more than some other centre mids.
He's a typical player with something to prove who will be sold the moment we can make a profit on him. That's how it's working here now and I don't see any great future in it!

He's a typical player with something to prove who will be sold the moment we can make a profit on him. That's how it's working here now and I don't see any great future in it!
its always going to be like that if the player can go to a better team for more money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back