Nostalgic photos thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

This was a much better game to play than Subuteo.
When we had it, it was called 'Bobby Charlton's Casdon Soccer', and on the TV ads they announced "Martin Chivers Plays It"!
Aye it was class :cool: I had this version with the photoshopped Keegan on it! :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

http://jeffliv.squarespace.com/retr...land-squad-soccer-game-ever-felt-cheated.html

First endorsed by Bobby Charlton back in the 1960s, Casdon’s ‘Item No. 150’ went through a series of rebrands, featuring Kenny Dalglish on the box lid before ending up as the ‘England Squad Soccer Game’ – a byword for fraud and filth among children of the 1980s.

“Casdon Soccer – played by Bobby Charlton,” the box once proudly proclaimed. And Bobby duly reinforced his commitment on the underside of the box: “Bobby Charlton says it is the nearest thing to English soccer it is possible to experience in one’s own home, and has spent many hours playing with his own family.”

What a delicious thought - brother Jackie coming round to play with Bobby. No arguments about who would be white and who would be red.

Yet all the good times and hard-earned goodwill went out of the window when Paul Mariner, Kevin Keegan, Bryan Robson and Garry Birtles challenged the rules of perspective by crowding round the playing surface along with two small children on the box photo.

By now, you must have spotted the source of a school-age nation’s 00-scale disgruntlement.

In a cheaty piece of pre-Photoshop villainy, the once-respected toy company only went and dropped a picture of the absent Kevin Keegan into the small but perfectly formed space between Mariner and Birtles.

Some of us never quite recovered from the awful realisation that we’d been ripped off, and shall remain defiantly outraged to the last.

I took this pic of the derelict Millfield Cinema in 2004 on my mobile phone which would cost about £1.50 now. Nice that it didn't get pulled down.

Logon or register to see this image

Millfield Cinema par PinzaC55, on ipernity
I used to sneak in there on a Friday night with me mates and for some reason this lad always used to be staring in the latest film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back