Our next manager - who do you want?

It shows what a crazy situation it is. When Dodds took over after Alex Neil buggered off he was getting absolute pelters and fans were screaming for him and Michael Proctor to be run out of town. Now he's suddenly the potential new Messiah to some(probably the same ones who were screaming abuse last time) and as far as Still is concerned I bet 99.99999% of us hadn't even heard of him before the club were being linked in the press.

To sensible for here just now matey. I don’t warm to Beale don’t get me wrong but it’s become a bloody pantomime supporting this club.
I always fondly recall the Mowbray era, a time when I fell back in love with my team.
Deceiving owners and a minority of fickle fans (some not all) a combination that makes you despair.

He's only been in the job a month.
I didnt want him. But he was wrongly boo'd before he started. (Not sure if that was at him direct or the lack of ambition by the club) Either way it looked like it was based at him. BUT a real MAN/MANAGER would take the pressure off the players and say the boos were for him. But he lied and went on as if the boos were towards the players which was 100% not true. Hes also blamed the coaching staff. Surely a real leader would accept the criticism and try to prove us all wrong. But to basically tell the players it was aimed at them is disgusting. True ot false?

I just watched Beales interview now and it was a cookie cutter manager on the way out one like.
"If we win that game, i think we'll go, what, just outside the playoffs, on goal difference. So, it's a huge crisis at this football club, do you know what i mean, the youngest team in the league...Look we haven't got the biggest budget, we're sat where we are, three points outside the playoffs, with a home game coming up............. I'm a little bit perplexed and bemused by, eh, the outside thing, you know".

Coaches are cookie cutter though in nature arnt they, they come off the same production line.
It’s how they take those skills and use them in a leadership position that determines if they are great head coaches/leaders.
Look at Klopp, Pep even BSA… these guys are visionary and inspirational much more than just a coach. Leaders of men and for that matter fans.
Beales from South East London😜…. Just saying
South west I mean 🙈

Deceiving owners and a minority of fickle fans (some not all) a combination that makes you despair.
It's true, I found myself emotional yet detached, so I'm trying to stay positive. The lads are a great bunch with awesome attitudes and that lifts my spirits to know despite the craziness they are giving it their all. I've been a Sunderland fan for 13 years now as DiCanio was in and out and we've been through so many managers and players, but we get some amazing personalities, I just love it! ❤

Haven't read the thread but I'm wondering why Mark Robins wouldn't be on the list. I was disappointed we didn't consider him after TM. Works on a budget, develops young lads, plays good football.
Because he's already at a club on a similar level to us, and he's loved there, and has control of transfers. He'd have to be smacked off his tits to swap that for us, even assuming we'd pay the compensation.

Coaches are cookie cutter though in nature arnt they, they come off the same production line.
It’s how they take those skills and use them in a leadership position that determines if they are great head coaches/leaders.
Look at Klopp, Pep even BSA… these guys are visionary and inspirational much more than just a coach. Leaders of men and for that matter fans.
Klopp and Pep are managers, Beale is just another head coach really

This setup isn't working, Speakman has too much control, on and off the pitch. Sure, I know I'm an old fart but I wish we had a manager that actually took charge of the team and was involved with transfers. Beale has to go and I would let Dodds run the show until the end of the season. What happens after that is down to KLD but for me he needs to either change from this current system and bring in a manager or sell up and move on. (tin hat on)

This setup isn't working, Speakman has too much control, on and off the pitch. Sure, I know I'm an old fart but I wish we had a manager that actually took charge of the team and was involved with transfers. Beale has to go and I would let Dodds run the show until the end of the season. What happens after that is down to KLD but for me he needs to either change from this current system and bring in a manager or sell up and move on. (tin hat on)
The way football seems to be going in is the 'head coach model'. This is despite the fact that the best teams seem to have 'old style' managers in charge, such as City, Liverpool and even Arsenal. It looks like clubs are trying to copy the Brighton model, which won't work for most clubs, especially big clubs like Sunderland who aren't happy to just survive in the division they're in.

Last edited:
The way football seems to be going in is the 'head coach model'. This is despite the fact that the best teams seem to have 'old style' managers in charge, such as City, Liverpool and even Arsenal. It looks like clubs are trying to copy the Brighton model, which won't work for most clubs, especially big clubs like Sunderland who aren't happy to just survive in the division they're in.
Good post👏
Like most on here I'm just so p*ssed off with what's going on at the club.

Might be completely wrong, but I think Beale will be gone sooner rather than later, especially with his press conference/ interview blaming the fans.

So I’ve compiled a list of names the bookies linked with each of the recent Sunderland, Birmingham, Stoke, and/or Plymouth jobs.

Obviously, I’ve removed those that actually got their respective jobs (Mowbray, Schumacher etc.), as well as Graham Potter, who was linked with Stoke but if I’m honest I’m not sure will see 10th-placed Sunderland is the role for him :lol:

Does anyone (realistically) take your fancy?

• Will Still
  • Mike Dodds
  • Julien Sable
  • Kim Hellberg
  • Paul Heckingbottom
  • Eric Roy
  • Kevin Muscat
  • John Eustace
  • Scott Parker
  • Gus Poyet
  • Neil Critchley
  • Paul Cook
  • Neil Warnock
  • Leighton Baines
  • Dean Holden
  • Nathan Jones
  • Chris Davies
  • Steve Cooper
  • Jesse Marsch
Henderson player/manager

Might be completely wrong, but I think Beale will be gone sooner rather than later, especially with his press conference/ interview blaming the fans.

So I’ve compiled a list of names the bookies linked with each of the recent Sunderland, Birmingham, Stoke, and/or Plymouth jobs.

Obviously, I’ve removed those that actually got their respective jobs (Mowbray, Schumacher etc.), as well as Graham Potter, who was linked with Stoke but if I’m honest I’m not sure will see 10th-placed Sunderland is the role for him :lol:

Does anyone (realistically) take your fancy?

• Will Still
  • Mike Dodds
  • Julien Sable
  • Kim Hellberg
  • Paul Heckingbottom
  • Eric Roy
  • Kevin Muscat
  • John Eustace
  • Scott Parker
  • Gus Poyet
  • Neil Critchley
  • Paul Cook
  • Neil Warnock
  • Leighton Baines
  • Dean Holden
  • Nathan Jones
  • Chris Davies
  • Steve Cooper
  • Jesse Marsch
It's already decided for the summer man. Next season we go for it. Don't know what but its all about "in 6 months time"

Because he's already at a club on a similar level to us, and he's loved there, and has control of transfers. He'd have to be smacked off his tits to swap that for us, even assuming we'd pay the compensation.
Yeah, but it’s who we’d want not who’d want to come to us. I just find it bizarre that someone who’s done a great job in very challenging circumstances is completely off the radar

City, United and Liverpool all have recruitment staff and directors of football. I don't think it's stopped them at all attracting the best staff

I don't think any fan wants Dodds, but its pretty clear that he's well thought of at the club, and probably seen as the next fella for head coach.

Think about it, why would he, Proctor, and the other backroom staff still be here under a new head coach unless there wasnt a future for them at the club. Speakman has already spoken about Dodds' pathway.

Because it was cheaper to keep them and make out they are decent than bin them off and get new back room staff too.

Back