Over 40,000 Britons will be killed in the next few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

by not being able to keep warm in the cold

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11382808/Winter-death-toll-to-exceed-40000.html

That's one every seven minutes

This is a tragedy, a silent tragedy that not many people know about, hence this thread.

Remember this the next time the news is telling us we need to spend billions on military equipment and wars to 'save lives'

And when they cut tax credits for workers etc

Btw, before you go calling me a leftie, I'm all for the action in Syria, we could quite easily solve this problem, the death toll was half this amount 3 years ago.

For comparison, cold weather in Britain will kill a similar amount of people that the Nagasaki atomic bomb killed.

"Remember this the next time the news is telling us we need to spend billions on military equipment and wars to 'save lives'

"I'm all for the action in Syria, we could quite easily solve this problem"

There's the problem.

I'm a leftie and I don't want us involved in Syria. I don't want us involved in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Palestine or any country ending in "stan". Not for any grand reasons of pacifism or humanitarianism but I because I am sick and f***ing tired of my home country involving itself in endless wars in middle eastern countries, usually at the behest of the USA who despite being the number 1 superpower in the world always need those jolly good British chaps by their side.
The war in Syria will end up with another war in another country most people couldn't identify on a map and doubtless another ISIS type group will spring up to replace them if they are defeated. And on and on and on.......

When I was a young un there was only one room in the house that was heated and I would regularly wake up with frost on the inside of my bedroom window.
Were people just tougher in those days?

When I was a young un there was only one room in the house that was heated and I would regularly wake up with frost on the inside of my bedroom window.

No, standards change. Most of us live in luxury compared to 1915 - doesn't make people then tougher. Just used to different things.

The numbers of old people freezing to death back then were even higher than they are now *

* This may not be true and I can't be arsed to check, I'm sure @Frijj will know or google it if I'm wrong.

by not being able to keep warm in the cold

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11382808/Winter-death-toll-to-exceed-40000.html

That's one every seven minutes

This is a tragedy, a silent tragedy that not many people know about, hence this thread.

Remember this the next time the news is telling us we need to spend billions on military equipment and wars to 'save lives'

And when they cut tax credits for workers etc

Btw, before you go calling me a leftie, I'm all for the action in Syria, we could quite easily solve this problem, the death toll was half this amount 3 years ago.

For comparison, cold weather in Britain will kill a similar amount of people that the Nagasaki atomic bomb killed.

just get a f***ing blanket

Yes they were tougher or died younger. Nowadays people have a Peanut Allergy, then they just died mysteriously after a slap up meal.

Also not mentioned are other reasons for higher deaths during the winter season.

Are there more crashes on the road leading to more deaths?
Are the more heart-attacks and stokes over Christmas due to the extra stress/food&drink?
Are more drunks/students/party-goers dying of hypothermia after wandering off in the wrong direction after a drinking session?
Are more folk [OAPs especially] slipping over due to ice and then never managing to make it back out of their hospital beds?
Etc.

Are OAPs really that poor?

My wife's parents are in their 70's and on a state pension.
They are far from hard up and even have savings in the bank. Neither of them worked for over two decades prior to their retirement so it's not like they had money prior to retirement
My grandmother is in her eighties and has a small works pension.She regularly gives money to her family.
Both have their houses adequately heated.

It's the same with food banks. I know plenty of folks on benefits ,but I don't know anyone who visits food banks.

Also not mentioned are other reasons for higher deaths during the winter season.

Are there more crashes on the road leading to more deaths?
Are the more heart-attacks and stokes over Christmas due to the extra stress/food&drink?
Are more drunks/students/party-goers dying of hypothermia after wandering off in the wrong direction after a drinking session?
Are more folk [OAPs especially] slipping over due to ice and then never managing to make it back out of their hospital beds?
Etc.

Those are all perfectly valid points and would need to be looked at, for sure.

Are OAPs really that poor?

My wife's parents are in their 70's and on a state pension.
They are far from hard up and even have savings in the bank. Neither of them worked for over two decades prior to their retirement so it's not like they had money prior to retirement
My grandmother is in her eighties and has a small works pension.She regularly gives money to her family.
Both have their houses adequately heated.

It's the same with food banks. I know plenty of folks on benefits ,but I don't know anyone who visits food banks.

We see a lot in the news about 'poverty pensioners' but my mother who is a pensioner does not struggle for money. State pension, local authority housing.

Flip flopping George

He's going to make a great PM u-turning like that.

Why f***ing suggest it in the first place? Any fool could see it was a stupid idea.
sound rattled

I suspect many OAPs are not on the best tariff to start with.

This is a problem, older people, especially if they start losing the faculties (but even healthy ones, as many are not tech savvie) often take people at face value and think things are honest like they used to be.
Cuts in funding for charities etc mean less older people (and younger too) can get help with issues like debt/money management/managing heating etc.

Pensioners, have a decent income, even from the state pension - but if that income is wasted..... or someone can rip them off then it does not really matter how much they have - it will be wasted on non priority spending - leaving them to freeze.
Vuneralble people, old people especially need extra help to ensure they are not being ripped off/wasting money/spending what they have wisely - but it wont happen, funding is scarce.
People would rather donate to a animal charity than to one to help people these days, and governments only want to appeal to the oldies that are with it enough to apprieciate a 3 or 4 quid a week bribe so they vote for them, the ones that need help are the ones unlikely to vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great use of non-existent statistics in that article like. Love to know where they get them numbers from.

'It's a FACT that every seven minutes an old person COULD die from the cold'.

It's also a fact that Shakirah could call me today to come round and give me some birthday rumpy pumpy. The missus is at work so her timing would be perfect.
Happy Birthday Shakirah

This is true. ^ I had to request a change to the Age UK tariff.

Im sure I was or am on a similar tariff even though not a OAP, someone sold it to me at the door, pointing out they cannot get away with age discrimination.

Can they not simply put a jumper on

Need about 3 jumpers and a blanket in our house.

It's a shame they couldn't bring the weather with them, the refugees there Marra

I have never known a lass refuse to have the heating on! Jesus

Know a few hendon lasses that dont need heating, I think its all down to if you have molly-collied your self in the past, if your used to the cold you have a higher tolerance for cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back