Part Exchange Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a dealership and think i probably know slightly more than yourself what goes on.

I have seen cars get £2000 worth of prep charges before it is in a retailable state

Do you get sunbed tokens as a bonus payment?

Most car salesmen seem too

They dont help themselves when they look like that.

I had an interview to be management at BMW and Audi and i hated just being in the showroom. It aint for me

How SBC! What model Mazda 2 have you been buying like?

Quality little car with a good build quality, I've had my 10 plate Tamura for a year and a half and I love it.

I already have. I sent a strongly worded email through PistonHeads to the dealer and posted on my Google+ page a warning to not buy the car because I was ripped off.

I must say the posts have been unusually civil for the SMB. Most on here don't know the meaning of the word. We all know what happens normally at this time in one of my threads.

As davy said just two posts about yours I already did that for them as I didn't expect to be buying one so soon. We thought about getting one one day and on the afternoon we were hunting cars. I see no reason for the difference.
To be fair, what they do with it and how much they make is down to them.

£650 isn't a bad trade in... As people have said the cars sold need to meet a particular standard bodywork and maintenance wise. Plus the salesman is just that, sees Clio and has a quick look round to make sure there's no major damage. He'll then offer based on whether it is poor, fair or good condition and nothing more. It's then the Sales Manager who decides what goes to the block and what goes on the pitch.

Even if they had offered you more, they'd of compensated by making the difference up in the finance or new car price.

There'll be a £800 to a grand in that car otherwise they wouldn't bother putting it on the pitch.

Not fair to tarnish someone's business because they've retailed a car and are making a profit, that's just the world we live in. Only way you'll ever get good money is to sell it privately which is hassle.

To be fair, what they do with it and how much they make is down to them.

£650 isn't a bad trade in... As people have said the cars sold need to meet a particular standard bodywork and maintenance wise. Plus the salesman is just that, sees Clio and has a quick look round to make sure there's no major damage. He'll then offer based on whether it is poor, fair or good condition and nothing more. It's then the Sales Manager who decides what goes to the block and what goes on the pitch.

Even if they had offered you more, they'd of compensated by making the difference up in the finance or new car price.

There'll be a £800 to a grand in that car otherwise they wouldn't bother putting it on the pitch.

Not fair to tarnish someone's business because they've retailed a car and are making a profit, that's just the world we live in. Only way you'll ever get good money is to sell it privately which is hassle.

The voice of reason. (Sorry VOR).

It all depends on how much he knocked off the car you bought. Baring in mind you will have dug into his commission. You can't knock the bloke for trying to make money. He never forced you to agree.

Just for future reference always sell privately unless its a company that gives you a guaranteed £500 and you know your car isn't worth that

As you know I got a nice Mazda 2 a few weeks ago from the Evans Halshaw Chevrolet dealership. I traded my old Clio in. Not being savvy and informed about such things we all thought it was best. The Part Exchange Allowance on the Used Vehicle Order Form was £650. The guy I dealt with said it will probably go to auction. Not thinking about it I got on with things. I came back from an antique shop in Newcastle in my dad's car and went via the dealership where to my surprise I saw it parked up on the embankment near to the road. I thought to myself "I am going to find out what the price is". I could not find it on the dealers website but found it on PistonHeads.

Guess what the price was? Yep....£1,793!

Have I been robbed? Or is the Part Exchange price always different to and significantly lower than the retail price?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...o/renault-clio-1-2-16v-expression-3dr/2880901

I didn't know. Now I do and wish I didnt

On top of the part ex price they give you, they will spend at least £400 on servicing and mot. Given its an 04 plate Clio it will need at least that if not more to make sure its in a retailable condition.

They will also probably need to do some cosmetic work on it.

Finally out of their profit, they will have to pay VAT, heating, electric, wages along with other associated costs.

So out of that grand on top of your part ex price they wont be left with a massive margin.

In short. No you have not been ripped off
You'd think so, but alas no, SBC spent hundreds getting it mot'd and serviced just before he traded it in.

You paid £377 for MOT and service just before trading it in for £650?
Welcome to the wonderful world of SBC.

Last edited:
I work in a dealership and think i probably know slightly more than yourself what goes on.

I have seen cars get £2000 worth of prep charges before it is in a retailable state
I doubt you know as much as me about cars as im a mechanic but there you go. We are not talking about a £12000 car and that was my point. Working in a dealers you will well know that the mininum is spent to put a car out.

On top of the part ex price they give you, they will spend at least £400 on servicing and mot. Given its an 04 plate Clio it will need at least that if not more to make sure its in a retailable condition.

They will also probably need to do some cosmetic work on it.

Finally out of their profit, they will have to pay VAT, heating, electric, wages along with other associated costs.

So out of that grand on top of your part ex price they wont be left with a massive margin.

In short. No you have not been ripped off

Of course he has. Show me a garage which does not rip you off.

I doubt you know as much as me about cars as im a mechanic but there you go. We are not talking about a £12000 car and that was my point. Working in a dealers you will well know that the mininum is spent to put a car out.
Not at our where i work fella.

We spend what the car needs to ensure it is right before it goes out.

All stock gets a bare minimum of £400 mechanical prep and then cosmetics on top.

Not at our where i work fella.

We spend what the car needs to ensure it is right before it goes out.

All stock gets a bare minimum of £400 mechanical prep and then cosmetics on top.

But is that actual cash flow of £400 or an internal recharge? @ShieldsBlackCat was told at the time that he was a mug for MOT'ing it and servicing it before trade in. Now he thinks that the Garage is just going sell it on for what he paid for it.

But is that actual cash flow of £400 or an internal recharge? @ShieldsBlackCat was told at the time that he was a mug for MOT'ing it and servicing it before trade in. Now he thinks that the Garage is just going sell it on for what he paid for it.

SBC really has to be on a wind up, the last thread was just in anticipation of this. There's no way anyone would be stupid enough to agree a trade in value of £650 then pay hundreds to get it serviced and MOT'd just before handing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back