Part Exchange Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

loved that other thread where he bought the car originally.
and now this. we are spoiled.
popcorn ready for the "cars broke down" thread.

If it makes you feel any better i once traded in an old run around with about 3 days mot and tax left. Basically got rid as was on deaths door.
It needed a new exhuast, had a chipped windscreen in middle of driver side, had a shot gear box and even a dodgy clutch.
The bloke noted the milage walked round the car, and as the body work was fine and offered me £850 trade in.
I nearly shot me load.
Told him a wouldnt accept less than £900 and he made up the differance.

I think we should all post our trade in stories to make SBC feel better.

Last edited:
I got £500 for a 10 year old Astra with 70k on the clock, couldn't be fucked selling it myself so just said yes, overall deal was decent.

As you know I got a nice Mazda 2 a few weeks ago from the Evans Halshaw Chevrolet dealership. I traded my old Clio in. Not being savvy and informed about such things we all thought it was best. The Part Exchange Allowance on the Used Vehicle Order Form was £650. The guy I dealt with said it will probably go to auction. Not thinking about it I got on with things. I came back from an antique shop in Newcastle in my dad's car and went via the dealership where to my surprise I saw it parked up on the embankment near to the road. I thought to myself "I am going to find out what the price is". I could not find it on the dealers website but found it on PistonHeads.

Guess what the price was? Yep....£1,793!

Have I been robbed? Or is the Part Exchange price always different to and significantly lower than the retail price?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...o/renault-clio-1-2-16v-expression-3dr/2880901

Strangely enough if they buy and sell all cars at face value they will be bankrupt in a couple of weeks.

Really it doesn't matter what they sell it for or if you were ripped off etc. If you were happy at the time with the price they offered you in relation to the price of your new Mazda then be happy now and stop worrying about it.

Life is too short to worry about it.

Last edited:
Put it down to a life experience, garages need to make money. Next time you trade in just do a bit of research on autotrader and see what prices your Mazda 2 are going for first.

Really it doesn't matter what they sell it for or if you were ripped off etc. If you were happy at the time with the price they offered you in relation to the price of your new Mazda then be happy now and stop worrying about it.

Also, sometimes you get a better price on the car you're buying because the trade-in price is low - and vice versa.

A dealers website has a car listed at a reasonable price. FSH, Great write up etc

The same car listed on Autotrader website has it down as a CAT D (I believe Autotrader always check cars before they are listed, and it is them who put the CAT D detail next to the description)

Should I avoid??

I think we should all post our trade in stories to make SBC feel better.

in March I chucked in a 12 year old, absolutely buggered Clio with over 100k on the clock, lopsided spuspension due to shagged springs, at least one leaky shocker and a dent on every panel. I also strongly suspect the gear box was on its way out. I got £1k for it :lol:

On top of the part ex price they give you, they will spend at least £400 on servicing and mot. Given its an 04 plate Clio it will need at least that if not more to make sure its in a retailable condition.

They will also probably need to do some cosmetic work on it.

Finally out of their profit, they will have to pay VAT, heating, electric, wages along with other associated costs.

So out of that grand on top of your part ex price they wont be left with a massive margin.

In short. No you have not been ripped off
They wouldn't have to pay vat when they sell a used car but otherwise you're spot on. It always feels like you're being robbed when you trade in but they have to make money and can't sell cars in the condition most arrive in.

Exactly, anyone buying a car should walk in knowing what deal they'd be happy with and try for better. It really doesn't matter how the deal is it together, lower part ex could equal higher discount of the new car etc, but if you walk in without a clue of what you want you shouldn't be surprised if you get a bad deal.

Last edited:
They wouldn't have to pay vat when they sell a used car but otherwise you're spot on. It always feels like you're being robbed when you trade in but they have to make money and can't sell cars in the condition most arrive in.

Exactly, anyone buying a car should walk in knowing what deal they'd be happy with and try for better. It really doesn't matter how the deal is it together, lower part ex could equal higher discount of the new car etc, but if you walk in without a clue of what you want you shouldn't be surprised if you get a bad deal.

The dealer pays VAT on the profit and that is what i meant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back