RR Pedigree Or Premium - Congerton's Struggles With Conflicting Remits

Status
Not open for further replies.

After reading that I'm wondering if the club are going to keep any loan deals till the end of the window then use loan players to fill any positions that need strengthening still

After reading that I'm wondering if the club are going to keep any loan deals till the end of the window then use loan players to fill any positions that need strengthening still
You only tend to get the better loan deals at the very end of the window.......Borini/Bendtner.........

Agree with that. My article is basically questioning whether or not the club are actually giving Congerton the tools to meet Poyet's demands of him.

I have no idea what is "brown nosing" about that unless Lee Congerton was my dad or something, but meh.

I'm sure he did!

Well, who'd notice a little skimming off the top or the sides;)

Mayb
I do want to give him a chance - and I generally like the pieces Capt. Fishpaste writes, I just don't agree with his insistence that Di Fanti's time at the club was anything other than a complete disaster.
Maybe in the eyes of the idiots who expect us to be in the top ten when u have teams light years ahead of us, people on here are unrealistic obv by the same problems Congo is having it's not easy getting players here that teamed with our low wages. I think his mission was to just keep us up on as little as possible and reap the rewards of this tv deal like is mentioned to balance the books!

Mayb

Maybe in the eyes of the idiots who expect us to be in the top ten when u have teams light years ahead of us, people on here are unrealistic obv by the same problems Congo is having it's not easy getting players here that teamed with our low wages. I think his mission was to just keep us up on as little as possible and reap the rewards of this tv deal like is mentioned to balance the books!

I'm basing my opinion more on the number of his signings who have actually contributed anything to the club.

Exactly, yet you think you are in a position to evaluate how he's doing in his role.

Where have i said that.....i'm just saying it's fair comment for people to make their minds up as it develops. If the club are vague about his actual role then people will assume the one who's put in front of the microphone is the one calling the shots.

To some people their negative agenda is far more important than Sunderland laying the foundations for a sustainable future.

It's hardly sustainable if your model results in relegation though. It's not rocket science though.......you need a competitive team to remain on the gravy train.......Can you do it on the cheap....yes, if you're either very astute or very lucky.......fortunately for us last season we fell into one of those categories.

Last edited:
No one actually has a clue what his specific brief is, unless you work at the club, at a fairly senior level.

So how he can be judged is hard to determine.

I'm basing my opinion more on the number of his signings who have actually contributed anything to the club.
They contributed in us stopping up for next to nowt and having loads of tv money the following season

No one actually has a clue what his specific brief is, unless you work at the club, at a fairly senior level.

So how he can be judged is hard to determine.

Well Gus seems to think it's Congerton who's responsible for bringing the players he wants here so seeing as Gus works at the club at a fairly senior level i'm happy to assume that Congerton's remit is to facilitate transfers.

They contributed in us stopping up for next to nowt and having loads of tv money the following season

We got lucky.....only ONE of the players signed on a permanent made any real contribution last season. Loan deals kept us up. The legacy of that is that all of the loan players returned to their parent clubs and we are left with shite we can neither sell nor play.....but still drawing their wages.

Last edited:
Well Gus seems to think it's Congerton who's responsible for bringing the players he wants here so seeing as Gus works at the club at a fairly senior level i'm happy to assume that Congerton's remit is to facilitate transfers.

That much is obvious, but do you know specifically what the parameters are? Clearly no one does.

That much is obvious, but do you know specifically what the parameters are? Clearly no one does.

So because we don't know the exact parameters of something we can't possibly comment on it. If the club are happy to set him up as a "patsy" then he'll get the stick that may well deserve to go higher up the food chain. Anyone with half a brain can work it out anyway as slips of the tongue and quotes from clubs, players and agents give you enough clues to see where and why a deal has fell through.

As i've said previously though if the club are doing the right thing but for whatever reason players won't come here then it's not the club's fault......if however they are being unrealistic on valuations and wages then they bear some responsibility. The Borini offer suggests we aren't being unrealistic fee wise......

So because we don't know the exact parameters of something we can't possibly comment on it. If the club are happy to set him up as a "patsy" then he'll get the stick that may well deserve to go higher up the food chain. Anyone with half a brain can work it out anyway as slips of the tongue and quotes from clubs, players and agents give you enough clues to see where and why a deal has fell through.

As i've said previously though if the club are doing the right thing but for whatever reason players won't come here then it's not the club's fault......if however they are being unrealistic on valuations and wages then they bear some responsibility. The Borini offer suggests we aren't being unrealistic fee wise......

You can comment on whatever you want to, but until we see the team turn out on day 1 of the season, there is no way of knowing what the crack is.

Simple as that.

You can comment on whatever you want to, but until we see the team turn out on day 1 of the season, there is no way of knowing what the crack is.

Simple as that.

Shall we just close the board down until then........as everything is conjecture surely. All people are doing is expressing an opinion on things AS they develop.

Why would you suddenly know what the craic is on Day 1 of the season.......you still won't know any more about Congerton's role than you do now. All you will know is who he has managed to persuade to come to the club....you still won't know what his remit is.

Shall we just close the board down until then........as everything is conjecture surely. All people are doing is expressing an opinion on things AS they develop.

Why would you suddenly know what the craic is on Day 1 of the season.......you still won't know any more about Congerton's role than you do now. All you will know is who he has managed to persuade to come to the club....you still won't know what his remit is.

:lol:

No need to close the board dear, if we all agree with you will you keep it open?

I don't want people to agree with me.....i can get that at home. I'm looking for informed debate and an exchange of views....;)

I think that congerton has been brough in to slash the wage bill, to do what he is told by the owner and exec, and to make gus think that he is actually on his side, whilst getting best value by buying players that are similar, but not the same as those requested by the gaffer.

I also think that we have a huge lack of industry specific knowledge at the top of the club, and therefore anyone walking in who can shoot the shit would look like Cloughie when compared to those in situ, until they are found out a year later.

My guess therefore, is that we will be doing this all over again in a years time.

But, as I say, I will wait and see what team we put out on day 1.

I think that congerton has been brough in to slash the wage bill, to do what he is told by the owner and exec, and to make gus think that he is actually on his side, whilst getting best value by buying players that are similar, but not the same as those requested by the gaffer.

I also think that we have a huge lack of industry specific knowledge at the top of the club, and therefore anyone walking in who can shoot the shit would look like Cloughie when compared to those in situ, until they are found out a year later.

My guess therefore, is that we will be doing this all over again in a years time.

That's a canny old conspiracy theory mind......:lol:

I honestly think that lessons have been learnt from last season's debacle but we just aren't yet attractive enough an option to get players who are "next level". This means that we'll probably end up bringing in players who will give ammunition to those who think we still aren't trying for the better players. Our reputation must be shit in all honesty given what's happened over the last 15 months.

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/201...-congertons-struggles-with-conflicting-remits

After repeatedly defending Di Fanti and his disastrous spell as DOF, Captain Fishpaste is now full of empathy for Congerton and the difficult situation in which he finds himself.

I have to say, this Michael Graham seems more than happy to give anybody the benefit of the doubt. I'll bet he's a thoroughly nice chap to have a pint with.

Congerton has shown zero results so far. This opinion may dramatically change this time next week but at present that is fact.

Why would we need to bring in Congerton to slash the wage bill? All we've done is release players, we haven't sold anyone apart from the flop Scocco. Any chump could do that.

Well we nearly premiumed our way to relegation last season.
If we don't get some quality in sharpish we might not be so lucky again, and we might end up looking for a manager. I am assuming here that Poyet was given some sort of guarantee about signings before he agreed to his new deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back