Policing at the Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's an interesting point, and one I accept. Could I have written it better? Absolutely. There isn't a single thing I've ever written, and I'm well into my thousands now for published work, that I've thought I 100% nailed. 'Vitriol raining down from the stands' was dramatic prose, but it's open to interpretation. I wasn't trying to say that Kevin Ball was ever a prolonged hate-figure at Sunderland and I never did day that.Back in the day, without internet and technology to spread sentiment, abuse from the terraces tended to be quite fleeting, far more spontaneous, and often quite localised depending on where you were in the ground.

I absolutely stand by my memory and I clearly remember a spell when Kevin Ball was unpopular and drew angry, often hostile reactions during games shortly after he had been moved into midfield.

However, I do accept that it could have been phrased better. In all honesty, the anecdote was used as a vehicle to emphasise the main point of the piece, which was to draw comparisons between Seb Larsson's adaptation and evolution into a central midfield player of genuine influence and Kevin Ball's similar journey. So, in that regard, yes, the language was more dramatic than it would have been otherwise. There is a balance to be found with these things between the object of the piece and the emphasis of the anecdote that underlines it, and I probably misjudged that one. Not by much, mind you, but sufficiently to skewer the read.

Of course, this isn't anything I've not tried to explain before, so I reject your premise that it would have been forgotten about. Certain people on this message board - and I'll stress that here and members from here is the only place I've encountered anger and outrage of any kind on the piece - will only accept one explanation from me, even to the point where they will hijack a thread about supporter safety, which is: 'I deliberately lied to make Sunderland fans look bad to the Newcastle newspaper I've sold-out to'. Until they get that explanation, which they won't because it's fundamentally untrue in every regard, they'll continue to hurl abuse. That's their issue, though, not mine.
I believe you marra.....

It's a writer's answer marra. I alone know what I set out to say. If I failed to hit the intended tone, then it's my fault, but only I can judge my intentions. Yet the second people disagree with something you've written, they climb behind their keyboards and computer screens and start hurling judgemental abuse like they are in the least bit informed about your work. Then THEY tell you that YOU'RE arrogant because you don't accept the judgement that they took it upon themselves to deliver.

People telling me that they think I got it wrong or missed the balance and they disagree with the article, I am more than happy to accept. I'm privileged to get the chance to do it. If I hadn't listened and adapted to criticisms in the past, I wouldn't still be writing today. People instantly telling me I'm a liar and other crack conspiracy theories, though, and becoming instantly and persistently abusive over a period of weeks simply to justify in their head the mere possibility that someone could have a different perspective or recollection as them... well that's not someone I can or should be taking seriously.

Honestly mate, Kevin Ball was not booed! I dunno which games you went to but it didn't happen....

Unless of course, you are taking the actions of possibly a few brainless idiots who might have hurled some random abuse at him once, as the general feelings of the majority of SAFC fans...??? :rolleyes:

I usually like reading your stuff mate, but TBF your article boiled me p1ss! Unlike some of posters on here though, I can see that you kind of appreciate that you genuinely made a mistake with your article, so I'll get over it... ;)

You need to get someone to proof read your future stuff though marra, coz sometimes when you write stuff you'll probs. not see the things that are wrong with it. A second pair of eyes can help loads, as I'm a programmer/developer and find this to be a god send!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back